Need Help: Seward or Anchorage Last Day in Alaska?

ocay4me

This will be our first time on an Alaskan cruise. We are scheduled for the 9-night Alaska Northern Glacier Cruise on the Radiance of the Seas May 17, 2017. I need suggestions and help for the last day arriving in Seward. I would like to take the train to Anchorage for our flight since I heard it was so nice, but I understand from Royal Caribbean there is a train that leaves Seward at 6:45a and would arrive in Anchorage around noon although I don't see that on the train schedule anywhere. There is another train leaving Seward at 6:00p arriving in Anchorage at 10:15p. Should I spend the day in Seward and take the later train to catch my flight in Anchorage or go to Anchorage early morning and spend the day there. Any suggestions on what to see in Seward and/or Anchorage?

What time is your flight out of Anchorage? You'll want to allow plenty of time getting to the airport from the rail depot.

Are you willing to rent a car in Anchorage? If so, I would take the early train, rent a car and drive up to the Matanuska Glacier. If you aren't renting a car, I'd stay in Seward for the day.

The morning train is chartered by the ship and is for ship passengers only. It will not appear on the train schedule. It will end at the airport, not at the train station.

The evening train is the regularly scheduled run. It ends at the station in downtown Anchorage. You should allow yourself a minimum of 2.5 hours after arrival to make your flight because you have to claim luggage, then get a cab to the airport and go through all of the usual check in mess.

I just recently booked this cruise and have not made my airline reservations until we decide what we are doing Friday. There are many flights to choose from especially after midnight which will give us all day Friday in Seward and/or Anchorage. When booking a flight after midnight, am I correct in assuming that I should be looking at Saturday flights instead of Friday?

Even though it's expensive (but probably not much more than the train for 2 persons) I'd rent a car in Seward and drive to Anchorage. The road is one of the most scenic in the US, you can stop at several places along the way (even take a 4-hour glacier cruise out of Whittier) and use the car to explore Anchorage before dropping it at the airport before your flight. The car also provides luggage storage and weather protection as well as transportation.

I just recently booked this cruise and have not made my airline reservations until we decide what we are doing Friday. There are many flights to choose from especially after midnight which will give us all day Friday in Seward and/or Anchorage. When booking a flight after midnight, am I correct in assuming that I should be looking at Saturday flights instead of Friday?

Yes, Yes, Yes!

If the flight departs after midnight, then it departs on SATURDAY. You don't want to book a flight for the wrong day! :eek:

. Any suggestions on what to see in Seward and/or Anchorage?

In Seward, don't miss the Sea Life Center.

In Anchorage, you could visit the Alaska Native Heritage Center, the Anchorage Museum and the Alaska Zoo. The evening train is a wonderful and relaxing way to go. However, if you drive, you could stop in Girdwood and take a tram to the top of Mt. Alyeska. Also nearby, is the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.