Planning our 1st 7 day cruise "Choosing the best one"

sweets2323

Hi I am considering a 7 day cruise. This will be my 1st long cruise. I am between Carnival and Norwegian. Ive been on the sky and I love it. I will do some research on the GEM and DAWN. Those are the two ships that leaves PR and I think the Sun, Star & Jade leaves Miami.

There are so many ports and I wanted your input on a few. I notice some itineraries have the same ports but in different order and the price was actually different. The times were also the same.

These are departing from PR versus me taking a cruise from Miami where I live?

Do you think its better to fly to PR or take a longer cruise to get to the eastern southern Caribbean?

Also, which set below attracts you the most and why?

Barbados Martinique St Kitts St Thomas

Grenada St Lucia Dominca Antigua British VI

Barbados Martinique St Kitts St. Maarten US VI

St Lucia Martinique St Kitts St Maarten US VI

It will be my big 40th in Jan. I will feel so bad not carrying the kids on such a nice trip. but I wanted to be able to participate in cruise activities at night. Last time, we weren't able to do many of the night activities because the camp closes early.

If it were me, I would take a cruise from Miami. I live in New York and cruise out of there because it gives you more vacation time compared to travel time. I leave my house and can be on vacation in an hour. If I cruised somewhere else I would have to deal with all of the flight stuff which adds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All of those ports are fun, although I can't give you any info on Grenada. Pick which one you would like to go on the most, with the idea that you can visit the others later.

Do you enjoy sea days, or do you want a port intensive cruise? The Gem/Dawn out of PR will be port intensive for a 7 day cruise. Consider a 10 /11 day cruise if you can. We always enjoy the longer cruises.

The Jade has a few of those out of Tampa.

Hope this helps!:)

Why spend the money to fly to PR just to visit southern caribbean ports? You can take a longer cruise out of either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and apply the airfare towards the higher cruise fare. An example would be 11 days out of FLL on the Celebrity Equinox on 1/9.

If you're cruising for the ship, your best bet would be the newest ones from NCL, the Escape or the Getaway, both out of MIA. On Carnival, the best bet would be 8 days on their brand new Vista visiting 4 ports (Grand Turk, San Juan, St Kitts & St. Maarten) and 3 days at sea from Saturday 1/14 to Sunday 1/22. Good luck.

Hi I am considering a 7 day cruise. This will be my 1st long cruise. I am between Carnival and Norwegian. Ive been on the sky and I love it. I will do some research on the GEM and DAWN. Those are the two ships that leaves PR and I think the Sun, Star & Jade leaves Miami.

There are so many ports and I wanted your input on a few. I notice some itineraries have the same ports but in different order and the price was actually different. The times were also the same.

Do you think its better to fly to PR or take a longer cruise to get to the eastern southern Caribbean?

It will be my big 40th in Jan. I will feel so bad not carrying the kids on such a nice trip. but I wanted to be able to participate in cruise activities at night. Last time, we weren't able to do many of the night activities because the camp closes early.

first let me start by saying: your first 7 day cruise will be very special, it probably doesn't matter which itinerary you choose. Next don't feel too bad about leaving the kids behind; we all need a break from time to time.

Now for itinerary: I happen to love sailing out of PR but either will work. Ports wise, This is a very personal thing and we all feel differently. My favorite port is Barbados. The people are friendly and there are so many fun things to do. We have been there both land trips and several cruises and still haven't seen every thing. St. Maarten is another fun place with decent shopping. Dominca is a great port, much like Barbados; nice people, lots to do. I am not a lover of St. Lucia but this is a personal thing, lots of people love it, Martinique, lets just say we planned an entire cruise a few years ago around visiting the island. We happen to have been there on a Sunday, learned ahead of time a lot would be closed. We choose to stay on ship. People we know who did get off were appalled at the cost of everything, not to mention lack of friendliness of the locals. St Kitts is a nice little island.

Hope this helps some. BTW either the Dawn or the Gem would be fine. Many people are really loyal to the Dawn. That should tell you something. Our only problem with her was she is a bit hard to navigate for some reason.

Enjoy your birthday on NCL,

Why spend the money to fly to PR just to visit southern caribbean ports? You can take a longer cruise out of either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and apply the airfare towards the higher cruise fare. An example would be 11 days out of FLL on the Celebrity Equinox on 1/9.

If you're cruising for the ship, your best bet would be the newest ones from NCL, the Escape or the Getaway, both out of MIA. On Carnival, the best bet would be 8 days on their brand new Vista visiting 4 ports (Grand Turk, San Juan, St Kitts & St. Maarten) and 3 days at sea from Saturday 1/14 to Sunday 1/22. Good luck.

I think whether one chooses a newer ship compared to one of the old timer depends on the person. Yes, the Escape and the Getaway are new ships, but many people love the smaller more personal experienced they get on an older ship. The Dawn is NCL ship people return to year in and year out, just like the Sun. If op was happy on the SKy I feel certain she woul enjoy the Dawn. What works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

Your interests will guide you as to which itinerary you want.

My first cruise was a 5 day Carnival cruise out of Tampa to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.. my primary objective was the sea, snorkeling, water activities such as feeding the sting rays.

As a result we went back for land cruises to both areas .

We did NCL Pearl 11 day S.C and took us all the way to Aruba.. loved every island and tour only one island we didn't swim or snorkel due to the weather.

Then took NCL Spirit this past Feb again lovely islands ( check itinerary)

and finally we are taking the Jade out of Tampa which will stop in PR ( which I have been to many times before)

Save the airfare, look into the tours and sightseeing at each island and that will determine where you will go.

ps. My favorite island was St. Lucia.

I love the Dawn and the southern islands especially Barbados and Antigua for the beaches. Realistically you would save a pile of money from not flying anywhere. Try to get there from your closest port Miami. (Many of us wish we were you).

There is so much about every island that is different it's hard to pick the best for you.