Jews--Consider avoiding sailing with celebrity over the High Holidays

stereo

Also, I read the OP's posting history. Back a couple years ago he complained about noise waking him up from a service door opening and closing. Celebrity moved his room, and gave him and his wife each a $300 credit on his next cruise. I think he's just looking for another generous accommodation from Celebrity and when it wasn't forthcoming he decided to complain here and "try again". Shame on him.

It is interesting that many of those who complain here on CC are chronic complainers. They complain about Celebrity but they continue to cruise on Celebrity anyway. Too many of these complainers are looking for something (compensation) for nothing (a complaint). It is nothing more than cyber-bullying. If you are not happy with Celebrity, then cruise with a different line and stop complaining!

I would not be surprised if in some office somewhere a Celebrity policy maker simply says "ENOUGH'

Peoples expectations around their religious requirements will never be met so Celebrity being a mass market line should stop trying to be everything to everybody.

The answer is the cruise line leaves it to the individual to practice their faith in their own way with no involvement from Celebrity.

Problem solved

The answer is the cruise line leaves it to the individual to practice their faith in their own way with no involvement from Celebrity.

Problem solved

Exactly! Celebrity should get out of the religion business. Provide a meeting space for 30 minutes for those who want to gather for religious purposes, if available, and that's it.

Exactly! Celebrity should get out of the religion business. Provide a meeting space for 30 minutes for those who want to gather for religious purposes, if available, and that's it.

If Celebrity can increase it appeal from religions it might increase their bookings and profit. Nothing wrong with that.

As I said before, I have no interest in attending religious services on a cruise, but I am NOT offended by others that wish to attend such services.

I does surprise me that some people on this thread seem to resent that Celebrity might offer such services. If you don't wish to attend, just go about YOUR own business and allow others the same.

Sabbath and E rev Yom Kippur services went well--The Rabbi announced that we would meet the next morning at 10AM for Yom Kippur service-which do to allotted time constraints would include Yizkor Services were over at 11:15--was my fast over?? I broke my fast at the Elite cocktail hour.

Icalled customer service from Boston --Would forward experience to proper personnel--called again from home --nothing All I asked for was a letter or telephone conversation with some one who could insure that my experience would not happen again.

How should I proceed--Should forget it The ship inflicted unnecessary pain --

maybe I should ask for a free cruise good only for Jewish High Holidays sailing

Thanks for any advice

Oh, BLAH- BLAH-BLAH !!!! Use your anger and energy somewhere else. IMHO and I'm for certain others as well, you just need be thankful you were healthy and able to go on a vacation only others can dream about! Why on earth would you expect on a ship that would set sail with over 2,000 passengers, it should be all about what you want?

I have never stayed in a hotel that holds religious services, so don't understand why a cruise ship should.

But the fact is, on a limited basis, they do.

I am not religious but I don't understand why some people have a problem with a cruise line providing this service for some of their customers.

My wife and I are Jewish and booked a Summit Canada /New England cruise sailing on Oct.2 realizing that it would encompass the Jewish High Holidays--The brochure stated that (and confirmed by Captains club reps )a Jewish Rabbi would be on board--We thought that that meant that services would be conducted---

I was told that services were scheduled for the next morning--and that the Rabbi was on board. What a way to start a lovely cruise . We could have booked the previous cruise.--to be cont.

I read these and thought, ok, the brochure stated there would be a Rabbi. You called to confirm. Good job.

The fact that services were not publicly held on embarkation day did not prevent you from privately observing in the privacy of your stateroom.

Plus, Guest services did confirm the Rabbi was on board, and services were held. The fact that services were not to your liking and that the Rabbi was not prepared for the services means that the Rabbi did not do HIS job and confirm the space and time constraints and that your expectations were too high for services by an unfamiliar Rabbi on a cruise ship.

If you want a specific service on a specific day, stay home and go to your local house of worship on that day, whatever your religious preference may be.

DirtyDawg

Because it appears the OPs service was not to their liking and has caused them to complain. So, avoid unnecessary complaints and not hold any religious services. Religion has no place in 2016 anyway, mainly used in the Middle Ages to teach right from wrong.

I respectfully have read OPs original posts and am unsure about what they were trying to accomplish. I understand the OP was disappointed. Was it to express displeasure? Was it to influence others? Was it to correct a problem? Was it to get a refund? Was it to prevent others from disappointment? I'm still not sure.:confused:

DirtyDawg

Because it appears the OPs service was not to their liking and has caused them to complain. So, avoid unnecessary complaints and not hold any religious services. Religion has no place in 2016 anyway, mainly used in the Middle Ages to teach right from wrong.

People around here also complain about the way the trivia contests are conducted. Should the cruise lines get rid of these too?

Hey, if cruise ships didn't have any religious services I wouldn't even notice. Just like I wouldn't notice if they didn't have the trivia games. But others would notice and it would matter. So if the cruise lines wants to offer these services that is their business, not mine.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Perhaps because if you are staying at a hotel you can walk down the street to a Church or Synagogue etc. Try that in the middle of the Atlantic!:eek:

Then why choose cruising as a vacation option? Would you go to a small country that has no Jewish population and therefore no synagogues, if it is important to you?

Also, as to the discussion of Freedom of Religion...you are now in my professional bailiwick.

The US Constitution guarantees that a person can have the freedom to practice their religion without being persecuted for it (unless it involves onerous and illegal practices). There is also the separation of state and religion. However, this also means that you have the right to not have religion imposed upon you. There have been many court cases, including those regarding prayer in public schools and the use of the word God in the pledge of allegiance.

To expect a company in the travel and entertainment business to provide religious services to the satisfaction of every religious persuasion is just illogical and absurd. Celebrity does it best by saying a place well be provided if like-minded individuals plan to get together for a self-run service (and of limited length). To ask for more or expect more does become intrusive for those that are not inclined to participate. Also, religion is a hot topic for some. Just like politics. I think it best, on a cruise, to keep these topics private.

I also, and have not stated it prior, that I find the title of the OP's post very offensive. It implies that Celebrity discriminates against Jews. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I read these and thought, ok, the brochure stated there would be a Rabbi. You called to confirm. Good job.

The fact that services were not publicly held on embarkation day did not prevent you from privately observing in the privacy of your stateroom.

Plus, Guest services did confirm the Rabbi was on board, and services were held. The fact that services were not to your liking and that the Rabbi was not prepared for the services means that the Rabbi did not do HIS job and confirm the space and time constraints and that your expectations were too high for services by an unfamiliar Rabbi on a cruise ship.

If you want a specific service on a specific day, stay home and go to your local house of worship on that day, whatever your religious preference may be.

My thoughts EXACTLY. We didn't even look for services on our earlier cruises. We hadn't considered that they existed. We enjoyed the social side of the get together with no expectations. I don't go to services anyway on Friday night or Shabbat.

If you are looking for religious services, then don't travel during the High Holidays. We don't. Perhaps if you wish to AVOID High Holidays, take a cruise.

I also, and have not stated it prior, that I find the title of the OP's post very offensive. It implies that Celebrity discriminates against Jews. Nothing could be further from the truth.

That is what made me click on the thread in the first place. Still not sure as to what the goal of the OP was. I'd most respectfully ask again.

"I was told that services were scheduled for the next morning--and that the Rabbi was on board. What a way to start a lovely cruise . We could have booked the previous cruise.--to be cont."

Other than one minor comment I have not responded to any post on this thread mainly because I am not religious, don't go to church and feel that more people have died over the centuries from religious wars than any other reason. Sounds good anyway.

However, I just couldn't let this one go. "What a way to start a lovely cruise". You have got to be kidding. What a sense of entitlement. If your religious leanings were so important why didn't you go the previous week like you indicated? I think you also said something about the pain Celebrity caused you. Please tell me that deep down where the sun don't shine you really don't believe this. "Pain"? The air up on that horse must be very hard to breath.

"We thought that that meant that services would be conducted" Just because you were told a Rabbi was aboard why would you automatically think services were going to be observed?

People go on cruises to drink, swim, tan, see exotic ports and a hundred other reasons depending on who you talk to. I have never, ever heard that going to church on Sunday was amongst the hundred other.

My wife is very religious (Catholic) and follows all their observances throughout the year. She has never, in 45 years, ever made a big deal about church while on vacation. For the past 12 years we have only cruised. When we get settled she asks a purser if there will be mass said and/or if a priest was aboard. If yes, she is happy. If not she is happy. Remember why people go on cruises.

Finally, why is this this to be continued? Don't you think you made your point, right, wrong or indifferent? That horse you are sitting on has been beaten far more than the poor nag deserves. Lets all FIMO.

Edited by PoppyandNana