Oceania Dress Code Nuances/Interpretations

njhorseman

36e41bd7b386da81f64d86c6cc9a1804.jpg

These are my everyday go to summer shoes, my version of a flip-flop. While I consider them wonderful for walking around town, going to the beach, or going into any restaurant for breakfast or lunch, I will not be wearing these for dinner. I do think it is possible to wear these with a sundress or skirt at Terraces. I have always felt that it is your vacation, and you should be comfortable, but still abide by the suggested rules of whatever Cruise Lines you are on. That also goes for dressing up if you feel like it! One huge draw for us to Oceania, is the fact that they do not have formal nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by blambition

Those are nice wedge sandals, not flip flops. And those are definitely too pretty to wear on a beach in the sand, unless one is having a beach wedding.

Here's a picture of a flip flop designed by a pair of famous evening and bridal wear designers, Badgley-Mischka, that seems to have been designed for a beach wedding. I suspect no one would raise an objection if these showed up in the dining rooms other than the terrace.

Hmmm. First attempt at attachment didn't work. I'll try again.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Here's a picture of a flip flop designed by a pair of famous evening and bridal wear designers, Badgley-Mischka, that seems to have been designed for a beach wedding. I suspect no one would raise an objection if these showed up in the dining rooms other than the terrace.

Let's see if this attachment takes. And if the thumbnail is too small to see all the detail and bling, here's the link:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/badgley-mischka-bali-jelly-flip-flop-women/4455180?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=SILVER%20JELLY

2040203795_DressyFlipFlop.jpg.4f13026c80bb156bdfe2085a0e07eb65.jpg

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Let's see if this attachment takes. And if the thumbnail is too small to see all the detail and bling, here's the link:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/badgley-mischka-bali-jelly-flip-flop-women/4455180?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=SILVER%20JELLY

Aren't they the same as Oville posted in #68

They may squeak by the Maitre'd but IMO more for a beach party

YMMV

Aren't they the same as Oville posted in #68

They may squeak by the Maitre'd but IMO more for a beach party

YMMV

Yes, they're the same shoe. I missed those the first time around.

I must confess to tuning in and out of these long threads about what to wear where. The people who post would probably make appropriate choices even without 100 posts on the topic and the people who could use some guidance aren't likely to post.

I have sequined flip flops that have an orthotic built in. Also gold slide sandles. Comfortable to walk in and allow my feet to swell if they so desire -- and they usually do. I self declared that they do for dining room. I usually wear with maxi skirt or flowing pants and they are usually stuck under the dinner table rather quickly. Why would anybody worry about what my footwear looks like when you barely see them and I don't think I asked permission to wear. I do keep my feet well pedicured and I try to hide the compression therapy stockings too. Since 95% of the shoes that are made in this earth do not fit, hurt my feet, are too high/too low, hit wrong. OK you get the picture. All fashion stops at the ankle!!:p

This is exactly why I believe there is so much discussion of footwear! TC2, those are wonderful, and very dressy, and I would definitely say those sandals are appropriate, however per dictionary.com, they really aren't flip flops:

Flip-flop:

a flat, backless rubber sandal, usually secured on the foot by a thong between the first two toes, as for use at a beach, swimming pool, etc.

So depending on what the wearer thinks is a "flip flop", (IMHO, not what they paid for them), you will get various responses!

Now that said, google flip flop and you get many different meanings!

'

Agree with both you and RachaelG. To me, "flip flops" are sandals with a "thingie" (my terminology) between the toes. I have many fancy flip flop type sandals that I wear on Regent all of the time with no problem. I wouldn't wear plastic flip flops but these https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Fashion-Sandals-Thongs-Stones/dp/B007Z4E5PK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483239859&sr=8-4&keywords=fancy+flip+flops are fancy - are called "flip flops" and seem pretty darn nice to me.

P.S. Bowie MeMe, agree with you as well.

Edited by Travelcat2

A local law firm, after many footwear issues amongst the staff sent an email stating that no thongs were allowed. This caused much consternation amongst the staff as they couldn't understand how it mattered what style of underwear they chose to wear. Obviously composed by someone who had no idea of current footwear/underwear lingo!

This was a few years ago and we still laugh about it. Don't work there but we have many friends who do.

Mo

Edited by potterhill

A local law firm, after many footwear issues amongst the staff sent an email stating that no thongs were allowed. This caused much consternation amongst the staff as they couldn't understand how it mattered what style of underwear they chose to wear. Obviously composed by someone who had no idea of current footwear/underwear lingo!

This was a few years ago and we still laugh about it. Don't work there but we have many friends who do.

Mo

[emoji28] [emoji28] [emoji28] [emoji28] [emoji28] [emoji28] [emoji28] [emoji81] [emoji81] [emoji81] [emoji81] [emoji81] [emoji81] that is way too funny, and totally shows the gen-gap!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

When I was growing up in Los Angeles the footwear we are discussing were always called "thongs" as far as I recall. Later on we sometimes said "zories". I'm still not used to "flip flops".

Thongs as underwear is indeed of a much more recent usage! I still have to think twice when I hear the word.

Mura

When I was growing up in Los Angeles the footwear we are discussing were always called "thongs" as far as I recall. Later on we sometimes said "zories". I'm still not used to "flip flops".

Thongs as underwear is indeed of a much more recent usage! I still have to think twice when I hear the word.

Mura

Most people my age (late 30's/early 40's) call them flip-flops (cheaper looking ones), or sandles for nicer looking ones! (And yes I know that is an oxymoron!)

As for undergarments, there are too many to list!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

On our last Oceania cruise which was also our first, we sailed on the Marina to French Polynesia. The weather was extremely warm and humid. One of our port days had a scheduled arrival of noon. There was a brunch buffet set up in the MDR and after eating we had a shore excursion booked. My husband wanted to wear shorts to brunch so we'd be ready to leave the ship when we finished. I had also read that no shorts were allowed in the MDR at any time, so I called the front desk and the person who answered said that shorts were never allowed. So my husband put on his slacks. When we arrived for brunch, he was the only man in pants. Everyone else was in shorts. So much for following the rules:).

I did this cruise in 2015 and I asked the matre'd if it ok to wear shorts in the MDR for lunch and she said yes but not at dinner. I would always ask the matre'd.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums