Skagway - Train or Bus?

CanuckinSMA

Haines is the most quintessential Alaskan town. It is absolutely beautiful and fun to explore. Do not leave it to go to Skagway as you will miss so much. Chances are that you will be the only ship in this beautiful town. My husband and I have completed 39 cruises, 13 of them to Alaska. This port has the best shore excursion that we have ever been on. So much so that if we are lucky enough to visit Haines again we will do that same shore excursion which is - Wild at Heart: The Kroschel Center for Orphaned Animals. I checked and HAL offers it. You will get up close to animals and learn so much. We still talk about it and love the photos we took. My husband particularly likes the one of me petting a moose.

If you do a future cruise to Alaska you probably will get to Skagway. Haines is not to be missed and few ships go there. You are very fortunate to have the opportunity to spend time in Haines.

Thanks everyone..we've decided on definitely a train/bus way to go. Now need some suggestions as to who to book with. I would prefer to save some money and not book through the cruise line so any other recommendations would be appreciated.

We did a Chilkoot tour taking the bus up & the train back down, but ours was a 7 hour tour & featured a lunch..It was a wonderful day..

https://chilkootcharters.com/package/white-pass-summit-rail-and-bus/

The met us at the ship around 7:30 a.m. & took us up by bus..We went to Carcross, Caribou Crossing, Emerald Lake, the Yukon Wildlife Museum, & the Dog sled Camp..I had a wonderful time playing with the Husky Puppies.. I don't see the 7 hour tour on-line but you can contact them via e-mail.. This is their main WEB site..They were recommended to us by someone on Cruise Critic but since this was in 2008 I have no idea who it was..At that time it was about $175 pp but I'm sure it's more now..I liked the idea that we were a very small group instead of going with all the HAL Psgrs..

This is their main WEB site: https://chilkootcharters.com/faqs/

P.S. I found our excursion..on their WEB site: https://chilkootcharters.com/package/yukon-rail-bus-w-dogcart-experience/

As mentioned we did the bus first & then the train & be sure to take a ride with the Husky's..(if you like dogs & puppies)

Edited by serendipity1499

• 3 weeks later...

OP:

You made the right choice. Have done up and back on train (we are train buffs), and then train up/bus back. Enjoyed the latter most. The up-and-back without leaving the train, the return is kinda a letdown. Not so by bus, which as others have said, will stop at least a couple times.

We did not go to Carcross and husky kennel, but did the Gold Camp on way back. Yes we all knew it was hokey and not even in the right location (gold was not found in Skagway), but it was fun! My BIL even got up and danced with one of the good-time-girls!

Both times we did HAL tours; it's how we roll.