Skagway - Train or Bus?

CanuckinSMA

We are booked for our first cruise next year! To Alaska. We were all set to book the Whitepass Train trip until our friends returned from their cruise earlier this year. They raved about the bus trip - they took the Skagway Yukon Discovery Adventure with Alaska Shore Excursions. Said it was just fantastic and they were glad they did that instead of taking the train. That it took them further north and they were able to see the dog sleds. Wondering if anyone could give us some guidance on which would be best for a "first (and probably only) timer"!! Thanks!

I enjoyed the train ride immensely when I went a number of years ago. In my opinion the train goes far enough and is a very scenic ride with lots of wildlife viewing

Last year we rode bicycles down the pass (van up of course) then peddled through town. That was definitely a lot of fun and it gave us time to walk the totem trails.

We are booked for our first cruise next year! To Alaska. We were all set to book the Whitepass Train trip until our friends returned from their cruise earlier this year. They raved about the bus trip - they took the Skagway Yukon Discovery Adventure with Alaska Shore Excursions. Said it was just fantastic and they were glad they did that instead of taking the train. That it took them further north and they were able to see the dog sleds. Wondering if anyone could give us some guidance on which would be best for a "first (and probably only) timer"!! Thanks!

We did the train up and a small bus down - this was a great option. Someone recommended this to me to avoid the repeat scenery coming back, plus the brakes on the train coming down can be loud.

Edited by DaveOKC

On our first cruise to Alaska we did just the train. Up and back without getting off. Last May we did our second cruise, and did the trip that starts with the train and ends with the bus. We got off the train and continued by bus to lunch and saw the dog sleds (on wheels) On the way back we stopped in Carcross. Although, being the first cruise of the year nothing was open yet. The train/bus trip was wonderful. Different scenery both ways. Glimpses of the train from the bus. We saw brown bears eating beside the road. Our driver stopped for a better look. He stopped at the welcome signs for pictures. I would recommend the combination train/bus trip.

We have taken the train and loved it. We didn't visit a dog kennel (that was a separate excursion) but we went into the Yukon. It was amazing to see how narrow the pathway was up in the pass. Crossing the high trestles was thrilling. Personally I'd take a train over a bus anytime.

We did the train up and bus down. We had a stop somewhere on the way down, something to do with gold mining. The stop wasn't fabulous, but all the train/bus options when we were there had some additional stop.

I think the train is something not to be missed, although I don't know that I'd need to do it both up and down.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Last May we did our second cruise, and did the trip that starts with the train and ends with the bus. We got off the train and continued by bus to lunch and saw the dog sleds (on wheels) On the way back we stopped in Carcross. Although, being the first cruise of the year nothing was open yet. The train/bus trip was wonderful. Different scenery both ways. Glimpses of the train from the bus. We saw brown bears eating beside the road. Our driver stopped for a better look. He stopped at the welcome signs for pictures. I would recommend the combination train/bus trip.

I did very much the same for my first (and maybe only) Alaska cruise. It was called "White Pass Rail and Yukon Expedition". We did the bus trip first and then the train. It was an 8-hour excursion and one of the best I have ever been on (especially because I was able to hold a two week old sled dog puppy!).

We've done Skagway multiple times. I agree with the others - the tour that takes you on the train one way and a bus the other is the best of all worlds. The narrators on the train give you the history of the area that you are seeing and point out many scenic/historic areas. The bus runs along the road on the opposite side of the canyon from the train, so you get to see things from different perspectives. The bus also has the option to stop for wildlife when it appears (the drivers like it as much as the passengers).

We did the bus there and the train back. Do not miss the train trip! Outstanding scenery that you will not see on the bus. It was very exciting! The bus portion was very nice, but the train trip was the highlight of our entire cruise to Alaska!

Another vote for the bus combo to see BOTH sides of the canyon. Yep the bus takes you 45 further to Caribou Crossing for those seeking the Yukon experience.

[YOUTUBE]rvbqT7ox7UM[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]moNz-VKYYek[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]0xHCn0IkjUE[/YOUTUBE]

I haven't done the train but I did enjoy the bus trip to Carcross and further into the Yukon Territory. We were fortunate to see a couple of bears along the road that were dining on some dandelions. The bus didn't phase them at all, so we were all able to get pictures of them from about 8 foot away, but we were still safely inside the bus.

Definitely the train.

Whether you take the train one-way or round-trip, one of the most enjoyable aspects of the trip is the open platforms at the ends of each passenger car. I have done the round-trip by train twice. The first time was when the regular round-trip excursion went as far as Bennett (way back in 1972) and last year when the train went as far as Summit. Being able to stand outside on a moving train is a rare treat.

We took an all day private tour to the White Pass summit.. It was a bus up & the train back down..It was an awesome trip..We went all the way up to the Husky camp & had a wonderful time playing with the husky puppies..That was one of the highlights of our Alaska trip as it was a small van type bus & our driver made many stops for us to take pics along the way..If I'm not mistaken we had to ride the bus down part way to pick up the train..

1435392887_ALASKAPICTURES012.jpg.e30fa9235ecec6f4f4f4f3242f711180.jpg

Edited by serendipity1499

We did the bus there and the train back. Do not miss the train trip! Outstanding scenery that you will not see on the bus. It was very exciting! The bus portion was very nice, but the train trip was the highlight of our entire cruise to Alaska!

Completely agree do both! Ours was a Chilkoot private tour..The driver met us right at the ship..

Edited by serendipity1499

We did the train up and the bikes back down. We thought the train was fun...for awhile. Beautiful scenery but we're more of an "action" family. My two teenagers both fell asleep. We really enjoyed the bicycles and would do that again if it were an option. I don't think I'd ever want to ride the train both ways.

Train up and bus back down! When you get on the train, be sure to choose the seats to your left as you face forward toward the engine. You have a front row seat for the scenery that way, otherwise your seat windows face the cliff side and you have to look over other passengers' heads. Unless, of course, you have a fear of heights and don't feel comfortable looking down from great heights. In that case you'll find comfort staring at grey rock walls and forested cliffs.

Train up and bus back down! When you get on the train, be sure to choose the seats to your left as you face forward toward the engine. You have a front row seat for the scenery that way, otherwise your seat windows face the cliff side and you have to look over other passengers' heads. Unless, of course, you have a fear of heights and don't feel comfortable looking down from great heights. In that case you'll find comfort staring at grey rock walls and forested cliffs.

VERY IMPORTANT! Follow this advice!

Rent a car and do it on your own. Go clear to Emerald Lake. Be in Skagway when the car rental place in town opens and drive straight to the sled dogs and taxidermy museum, you can stop and view scenery on the way back. The dog sled area gets very crowded with 6+ large buses. You can beat that crowd with a car that can get there early. We have done car rental three times and absolutely loved it. Look for a detailed guide on line by Yukon Murray. Trust me, it will be the highlight of your cruise.

Thanks everyone..we've decided on definitely a train/bus way to go. Now need some suggestions as to who to book with. I would prefer to save some money and not book through the cruise line so any other recommendations would be appreciated.

We used a local company that was great (check out the Alaska CC board for names), but we only did it as the ship did not offer the train up and bus down that we wanted. Cost was almost exactly the same and the ship's tour leaves right from the pier, about 200 feet from the ship. Our excursion had a bus pick us up at the end of a long pier and took us downtown to board the train.