Which ship will do Grand South America if the Prinsendam leaves?

If the Prinsendam leaves in 2019 which ship will do the Grand South America.?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

If that were to happen we suspect that one of the "R" Class ships would likely take over for the P'Dam's routes. That assumes that HAL cannot find another smaller ship to replace the P'Dam. But we sometimes wonder if HAL will simply keep the P'Dam for many more years. In her recent drydock they did make some very expensive investments including a new high tech water conversion (from sea water) system and major renovations to the Lido buffet area.. We have spent 200 days on the P'Dam, and our most recent cruise (the March 2016 Grand Med) we thought the ole lady looked to be in better shape then ever!

Hank

Capt Albert Schoonenbeck (a special HAL captain who gave a HAL history talk on our cruise) on our very recent trip said he did not expect the Prinsendam to be sold after all. Said HAL keeps upping her price, if a buyer does come along. Claims they don't want to lose their long list of solid Prinsendam fans, who just might follow her to a new owner.

The Prinsedam has been for sale for at least 8 years that I know of as listed on the cruise ship websites. She has had lots of recent and expensive updates as mentioned and seems like every year, the big brass talk about 'in 5 years or so we will discontinue the P'dam'. But, that said, 1st heard this many years ago but she is still sailing and currently booking into 2018.

The Prinsedam has been for sale for at least 8 years that I know of as listed on the cruise ship websites. She has had lots of recent and expensive updates as mentioned and seems like every year, the big brass talk about 'in 5 years or so we will discontinue the P'dam'. But, that said, 1st heard this many years ago but she is still sailing and currently booking into 2018.

Did a Prinsendam cruise for my 70th birthday (in a grand Neptune suite) when the captain told us he expected her to be gone in five years. Do the math. That was in 2013 - so now who is going to reach the final finish line first? :cool:

For one thing, the captain is now gone but both she and me still sail on.

Edited by OlsSalt

Did a Prinsendam cruise for my 70th birthday (in a grand Neptune suite) when the captain told us he expected her to be gone in five years. Do the math. That was in 2013 - so now who is going to reach the final finish line first? :cool:

For one thing, the captain is now gone but both she and me still sail on.

We were told the same thing on our 2013 cruise too, but HAL has put a lot of $$$ into upgrades for this ship, so who knows?

Probably either the Amsterdam or the Rotterdam since they are co-flagships.

If that is the case, would guess the Rotterdam as the Amsterdam is fitted out for the world cruise which is the same time as the Grand So America and most of the Grand Med. and cannot see that changing.

After our 50 days on the Amsterdam last year, I would say this ship is sadly in need to a total decor refurbishment if she proudly claims to be HAL's flagship. And some material functional refurbishment too - she became our least liked ship. Though for itineraries alone, she would certainly be one of our best along with the Prinsendam who has clear size advantages when it comes to itinerary options.

Edited by OlsSalt

On our TA on Prinsendam a year ago the same question came up. The captain indicated his belief (seconded by the staff captain) that HAL would keep Prinsendam as long as she could be safely and profitably sailed - and then would replace her with another ship of comparable size purchased from another line - as they had Prinsendam back when.