Are you a grand mariner? A world cruise question

blue whale

When we just went to book the HAL world cruise for 07, we learned that pax who held Grand Mariner status saved about 500 dollars per person. We learned also that to become a Grand Mariner, a pax had to have sailed on at least one segment of a world cruise prior to the world cruise he or she was booking. Although we have sailed over 300 days with HAL and possibly 350 days by the time we do the world cruise, we have never done a segment of a world cruise with HAL. Hence our cost as a couple will be 1000 dollars more than those getting the discount based on going on a single segment of a HAL world cruise and who are booking into the same kind of cabin. Those Grand Mariner paxs may have taken only one or two cruises with HAL.

First, have any of you encountered this policy and been given the discount even though you have not sailed a segment of the world cruise with HAL? Some one just told me that that had happened to her.

Second, think about taking a segment as a regular part of your travel so that if you ever want to do the world in the future you would get the discount. We should have taken a Panama Canal cruise that was the opening segment of the world cruise rather than taking a regular Panama Canal cruise a few years ago. If only we had known. . .:rolleyes:

I've never done a World Cruise, and never heard of this policy from those who have, but that's not to say that the policy doesn't exist.

I am thankful for the info, and especially for the suggestion to take a segment someday in anticipation of maybe someday getting to do the whole thing.

A $1K discount on a World Cruise doesn't sound like much of anything to be upset on missing out on. It's a nice little perk to encourage repeat business, but that's about it.

I'm actually quite encouraged to hear that HAL might be expanding their loyalty program to actually provide some creative benefits. I've often suggested, for example, that there should be a special tier or other recognition for those who book S or PS cabins repeatedly. After all, a single cruise in the penthouse can cost as much as ten cruises in an inside cabin, so why should the cheap cruiser get 10x the recognition? With the current setup that rewards nothing but number of days cruised, that's exactly what happens.

I've often suggested, for example, that there should be a special tier or other recognition for those who book S or PS cabins repeatedly. After all, a single cruise in the penthouse can cost as much as ten cruises in an inside cabin, so why should the cheap cruiser get 10x the recognition? With the current setup that rewards nothing but number of days cruised, that's exactly what happens.

The cheap cruiser is not getting 10x the recognition. He is getting the perks associated with the cheaper cabin. You are getting the perks associated with deluxe accommodations.

The penthouse and other higher end cabins come with their own very special perks ... things that the person in the cheap seats never sees ... such as use of the Neptune ... not to mention far superior shipboard accommodations for your dollar. So, I don't think there needs to be an extra tier for special recognition if you stay in a higher end suite. You've already enjoyed the special ammenities associated with the more expensive accommodations.

Mariner perks should be based on days sailed ... period. Suite perks take care of those choosing deluxe accommodations. Concentrate on bettering the suite perks if you want to get a better deal for your buck.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree - Mariner Perks (such as they are) should be based on days on board or miles traveled.

That some cruisers choose (and can afford) to travel in suites etc. is their business - they are entitled to perks - they're paying more! Sometimes when I can afford it, I choose to travel First Class by train for additional comfort and service - I pay more but it's the same length of time and distance as for the guy in coach class. :p

Those of you who think inside cabins and penthouses should get the same Mariner "credit" might be interested to see how frequent flier programs have evolved recently. Those on the cheapest tickets often earn only 50% of the mileage toward elite status, while full-fare first class tickets earn 150%. That leads to more miles earned, more upgrades, etc. to the person PAYING more, not just the person FLYING more.

So who does HAL earn more revenue and profit off of? The person who cruises repeatedly for the cheapest price or the person who cruises once but spends freely for the privilege? They both use the same ship's amenities (other than the suite perks such as the Neptune Lounge).

I'm not saying I completely disagree with you, and personally I feel that the Mariner Society should stick with its "days cruised" tier structure. What I'm suggesting is a program within the program that provides additional, maybe even secret except to those who've earned them, benefits. Until this thread, how many of you had heard of the "Grand Mariner" thing? I certainly hadn't! But I'm also not upset about it--if someone can afford the time and money to take even a segment of a world cruise, then I think they're entitled to some special recognition even after the fact.

The cheap cruiser is not getting 10x the recognition. He is getting the perks associated with the cheaper cabin. You are getting the perks associated with deluxe accommodations.

The penthouse and other higher end cabins come with their own very special perks ... things that the person in the cheap seats never sees ... such as use of the Neptune ... not to mention far superior shipboard accommodations for your dollar. So, I don't think there needs to be an extra tier for special recognition if you stay in a higher end suite. You've already enjoyed the special ammenities associated with the more expensive accommodations.

Mariner perks should be based on days sailed ... period. Suite perks take care of those choosing deluxe accommodations. Concentrate on bettering the suite perks if you want to get a better deal for your buck.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I never think of those things as "Suite Perks". I consider these to be amenities one purchases when one "rents" the use of a Suite for a cruise. The words 'perks' (in my mind) somehow has something of a 'freebie' to me. The use of Neptune Lounge etc is hardly a freebie. It is definitely included in the price the Suite passenger pays....as well it should be.

The person in the lower category cabin who does not have access to the Neptune Lounge should not be paying for it IMO

Getting back to the OP's question re: Grand Mariner Discount. It's the rule HAL made; it's their game; it's their ships, they can make any rule they wish. While I understand your point of view (and probably would feel the same as you seeing as we have cruised in an "S" for hundreds and hundreds of days), that is their rule.

On our Maasdam cruise the Captain did mention another type of Mariner. It could have been "Grand Mariner" or "Executive Mariner" or "Chairman's Mariner". I am not sure of the term but anyhow it is only for certain people and they are invited to become membeers. The couple on our cruise who were members had sailed for over 2500 days. They surely deserved every sort of award that was going. :)

Jennie

The couple on our cruise who were members had sailed for over 2500 days.
The way I figure it, that's within inches of seven years onboard HAL ships.

I was in the 'Nest having beers

When a guy walked in and said, "Cheers;

There's a bloke and his wife

Having the time of their life

And they've been on the ship seven years!"

Good news! Last week I wrote a letter to the CEO of HAL outlining the unfairness of their policy regarding Grand Mariner fares and status. I explained that a person could get the special fares just by having done one segment of a world cruise with HAL and nothing else, whereas someone else could have many, many days at sea with HAL and not get the better world cruise fares if one of the segments completed was not a portion of a world cruise.

This morning I received a telephone call from Kelly at HAL. She said that the CEO of HAL had read my letter and agreed that they needed to restudy their policy for assigning Grand Mariner status and fares. But in the interim, based on our numerous days at sea with HAL, we were to get Grand Mariner rates on the world cruise. Kelly said she would call our TA and inform her of this decision.

We have always enjoyed HAL, but the fact that the people in the executive suite are so open to suggestion makes us like HAL all the more. So a rule is not a rule is not a rule, when it doesn't make great sense and when one is dealing with very flexible, amenable people. I guess it also shows that when one feels that one is right, one needs to take action.

Bravo, HAL! We are IMPRESSED!

bluewhale, it's nice of you to come back and tell us the outcome of your contact to HAL. So often it's easy to complain, but fail to give credit when that is due.

And congratulations on the outcome! Sometimes the squeeky wheel gets more than grease! :D

We've done a Full Grand World Voyage, and we receive many offers that are addressed to us as Mariners. I don't recall seeing anything about Grand Mariner, and had not heard the term until this thread. Need to do some research....

We had never heard of Grand Mariners, either, until we received the enlarged folder from our agent listing pricing for the world cruise in 07. The prices listed were Grand Mariner rates. When I called in for more info, I was told that these rates applied only to those who had done a segment of the world or all of a world cruise. So Grumpy, you are a Grand Mariner.

Archived