How long is the trip from Vancouver to the Seattle pier?

Florida_cruisers

If driving, how long would you estimate it would take to go from the bay shore of Vancouver to the Seattle pier on a Friday morning?

I am wondering if we could leave the morning of departure from Vancouver and make it to the ship at noon. If I get too nervous about timing maybe we could tour Vancouver first and then Seattle so that we are right there during boarding.

The drive is usually right around 3 hours wheels turning; however the big unknown is the delay at the border, which in cruise season entering the US can be anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour.

In addition, would this be in a rental car? Would you be planning to drop the car before sailing from Seattle? Between refueling the car, finding a branch of the car company to leave it, then getting to the pier, you'd probably need another hour on top of the drive time.

And (to make matters more confusing) which cruise terminal in Seattle would you be using? Norwegian and Oceania both use the (downtown) Pier 66 terminal, all the others use Pier 91, which is several miles from downtown, with no rental car agencies anywhere nearby.

I'd definitely spend the night before in Seattle and avoid all the consternation.

If driving, how long would you estimate it would take to go from the bay shore of Vancouver to the Seattle pier on a Friday morning?

I am wondering if we could leave the morning of departure from Vancouver and make it to the ship at noon. If I get too nervous about timing maybe we could tour Vancouver first and then Seattle so that we are right there during boarding.

I would count on about 4 to 5 hours depending on the border delays. With no delays as little as 3 hours. Why not drive down the day before and have the border crossing worry. The I5 can also be busy bwteem Everett and Seattle as well .

I frequently make the drive, including this year. There were long waits at Blaine, so I went through Lynden and it still took me about 4 hours.- with one short I-5 rest stop.

The Blaine line was at least an hour++ longer, I'd speculate.

Five hours, wow! I think we might just go to Vancouver immediately after arriving, which is 3 days before the cruise and then tour Seattle a day prior to the cruise and the day after the cruise is complete. That way we have more control over timing to get to the ship and the airport on our way home. Thank you, this was very helpful.

Would it be easier to take the train from Seattle to Vancouver and then taxis to the hotel? The only sites we have on our list are:

1. The suspension bridge

2. Take the HOHO to the sites in the area

3. Check out Stanley park

Not to mention having to pay parking fees too.

Would it be easier to take the train from Seattle to Vancouver and then taxis to the hotel? The only sites we have on our list are:

1. The suspension bridge

2. Take the HOHO to the sites in the area

3. Check out Stanley park

Not to mention having to pay parking fees too.

Yes it would be easier. However check the train times; there are 2 a day in both directions, early morning and early evening. Other times shown on the Amtrak website are buses. So in planning the train, bear that in mind.

A note about suspension bridges near Vancouver. There are two, the touristy and expensive Capilano bridge, and another one, in Lynn Canyon park a little distance away, that's free. http://lynncanyon.ca/

I'd also look at the Queen Elizabeth Park gardens and Bloedel Conservatory. These are quite wonderful and (IMO) a decent and much cheaper (as in free for the gardens) alternative to Butchart Gardens near Victoria. http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/queen-elizabeth-park.aspx

Additional thoughts....

• There's also my fav Quick Shuttle. 6 to 7 daily one way trips. Check here for rates and schedule from Downtown to the Seattle Piers. http://www.quickcoach.com/fares.htm
  • Bayshore is not cheap for daily parking on a rental car.
  • There is a free shuttle a block from the Bayshore to Capilano

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you for this great information. In reading your recommendations and TripAdvisors I think we will go with the train. Especially since there are shuttles and easy transportations to get us from the train terminal to the hotel, cruise terminal and sites of interest. Besides there is no reason to pay the high hotel fees to park.

I think we will go with the train. Especially since there are shuttles and easy transportations to get us from the train terminal to the hotel, cruise terminal and sites of interest.
For Vancouver..... there is no shuttles.... just taxi's and subway.

• Train station to downtown is best with taxi's if you have lots of luggage. Taxi's can be busy.
  • The subway is available, however it can also be busy with the general public. Subway may not be practical with luggage.

I echo about checking the train schedules.... if you are planning the morning train.....

• what time is that first train leaving?
  • what time do you need to be at the station?
  • what time do you need to be at the station for those coveted ocean view seats?
  • how much is the 1st class premium?
  • how much does it cost to get to and from the train stations?

Edited by xlxo

I frequently make the drive, including this year. There were long waits at Blaine, so I went through Lynden and it still took me about 4 hours.- with one short I-5 rest stop.

The Blaine line was at least an hour++ longer, I'd speculate.

I'll also mention border crossings are busiest on weekends (especially long weekends). Try to make the crossing on weekdays or late evening. Check the border wait crossing sites for the latest.

For Vancouver..... there is no shuttles.... just taxi's and subway.

• Train station to downtown is best with taxi's if you have lots of luggage. Taxi's can be busy.
  • The subway is available, however it can also be busy with the general public. Subway may not be practical with luggage.

There is no "subway" in Seattle. It is a light rail- http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Link-light-rail

Their bus system is also excellent. I've used both numerous time, including to/from the train station.

My idea would be to skip 10 hours of travel time, skip Vancouver and then get your Canadian visit in Victoria during your 09-6 pm stop. Lots to see in Seattle and more time to get over jet lag from FL. With the schedules it might even be more than 10 hrs.

sightcrr