Sail and Sign cards left in your amil box

Cruisin 4 Ever

They are doing this because the only people allowed in their cabins before 1:30 pm are Diamond, Platinum and FTTF. There were too many people going through the closed doors to just "drop" off their bags because they didn't want to drag them around.

Well first off, the portion of the S&S card that actually opens your cabin is NOT the magnetic strip on the back of your card, but rather the small barcode on the front of it.

I can't say with this 100% confidence because I've never taken apart the door lock on a cruise ship. However, it would be cost prohibitive to use the barcode to grant access to the staterooms. I say that because of the difference in price, power consumption, and maintenance of a scanner head vs a magnetic strip reader.

The expensive piece of a barcode system is the scanner head. The expensive portion of a magnetic strip system is printing the magnetic strips on the cards. In this case it's a moot point since the S&S card has both.

The only system I've noticed using the barcode on your S&S are the kiosks used for embarkation/disembarkation.

I can't say with this 100% confidence because I've never taken apart the door lock on a cruise ship. However, it would be cost prohibitive to use the barcode to grant access to the staterooms. I say that because of the difference in price, power consumption, and maintenance of a scanner head vs a magnetic strip reader.

The expensive piece of a barcode system is the scanner head. The expensive portion of a magnetic strip system is printing the magnetic strips on the cards. In this case it's a moot point since the S&S card has both.

The only system I've noticed using the barcode on your S&S are the kiosks used for embarkation/disembarkation.

Have you been on a cruise? That's exactly what you use to enter the cabin. You don't swipe the card, you insert the barcode end. So how could it use the magnetic strip when you never swipe it? Unless the barcode is also magnetized or it uses a tiny portion of the mag strip only which I guess could be possible but I've never heard of that.

a2719d68f92cad3f835024e34182df3d.jpg

e2fb5a52f14e7249a2aee101c3f60d2a.jpg

Edited by firemanbobswife

I was thinking the same thing. Sure wouldn't want my

S+S card hanging outside my room until I got there. Any jackhole can buy FTTF and get down the hall early, if a credit card can be scanned while in your pocket why not S+S card in a mailbox? Not rocket science to hang out till occupants leave for dinner, slip in, 10 minutes, back out, steward's busy cleaning rooms. We live in a small rural town, and are very trusting, but we're not stupid.

Why wouldn't the cards be handed to you at check in like always or given to the steward to hand out

RFID, specifically Near Field Comminication (NFC) is the technology that puts you at risk for someone scanning your credit cards while in your pocket. To my knowledge, Carnival hasn't implemented NFC in the S&S card.

I read somewhere that the process change was to speed up embarkation/save money on personnel by allowing the majority of cruise passengers to skip the stop at the terminal desk to pick up your S&S and take a picture.

Have you been on a cruise? That's exactly what you use to enter the cabin. You don't swipe the card, you insert the barcode end.

Yes, I've been on many cruises. I have worked as a software engineer interfacing with barcodes, magnetic strips, and RFID for15 years. The magnetic reader in the stateroom door is the same as you would find on a gas station pump. Think about it, your credit card doesn't have a barcode on it.

Edit: many hotel room keys use the same system and the cards have no barcodes.

Edited by fivetwoseven

Yes, I've been on many cruises. I have worked as a software engineer interfacing with barcodes, magnetic strips, and RFID for15 years. The magnetic reader in the stateroom door is the same as you would find on a gas station pump. Think about it, your credit card doesn't have a barcode on it.

Correct but you have to insert the WHOLE card at the pump. You do no such thing in the cabin door lock.

Correct but you have to insert the WHOLE card at the pump. You do no such thing in the cabin door lock.

https://www.magtek.com/content/documentationfiles/d99800004.pdf

As far as I know, most hotel lock systems use track 3 of the magnetic strip. If you read the stripe card standards in the link above, you will notice the 19 digit primary account number. Without getting out an old S&S card reader and scanning it, my assumption is that the only data written on track 3 is a unique serial number. The magnetic scanner only needs to read the first bock of data at the very beginning of the strip.

Like I said in an earlier post, the only systems on board I've ever seen use the barcode is the kiosk for embarkation/disembarkation.

Edited by fivetwoseven

https://www.magtek.com/content/documentationfiles/d99800004.pdf

As far as I know, most hotel lock systems use track 3 of the magnetic strip. If you read the stripe card standards in the link above, you will notice the 19 digit primary account number. Without getting out an old S&S card reader and scanning it, my assumption is that the only data written on track 3 is a unique serial number. The magnetic scanner only needs to read the first bock of data at the very beginning of the strip.

Like I said in an earlier post, the only systems on board I've ever seen use the barcode is the kiosk for embarkation/disembarkation.

I find this pretty interesting. So if they can read a mag strip by only reading the last third of it, then why don't credit card companies do the same? Maybe because the store equipment isn't set up for it?

I found this article. Although old, it looks like it is the same system that is currently in use and it appears that they use the mag strip not the bar code for the A-Pass system from what I can tell. So then I wonder what the barcode is for if it's not for the cabin and the A-Pass? Although it doeesn't specify what technology is used for thae cabin so I'm still not sure.

They use the mag strip for when you charge something (like stores). I always figured the barcode was for the A-Pass as well as the cabin door since that is the only time you insert that end into a machine of some sort. Curious on your opinion after reading this:

http://www.siscocorp.com/docs/periodicals/lloydscruiseintl99.pdf

I find this pretty interesting. So if they can read a mag strip by only reading the last third of it, then why don't credit card companies do the same? Maybe because the store equipment isn't set up for it?

I found this article. Although old, it looks like it is the same system that is currently in use and it appears that they use the mag strip not the bar code for the A-Pass system from what I can tell. So then I wonder what the barcode is for if it's not for the cabin and the A-Pass? Although it doeesn't specify what technology is used for thae cabin so I'm still not sure.

They use the mag strip for when you charge something (like stores). I always figured the barcode was for the A-Pass as well as the cabin door since that is the only time you insert that end into a machine of some sort. Curious on your opinion after reading this:

http://www.siscocorp.com/docs/periodicals/lloydscruiseintl99.pdf

No idea why the kiosks use the barcode vs magnetic strip. Only thing I can imagine is that the kiosks that track whether or not you are on board, hotel door lock, and folio systems are completely separate and wouldn't play nicely with each other/compete for the same space on the magnetic strip. Most out of the box systems will only read/write data from a predefined track of the magnetic strip.

Per the ISO standards, I would be willing to bet when you buy a drink at the bar, information (folio number) is read from track 1 of the magnetic strip. When you open your stateroom door, information is read from track 3. Although, not everyone plays by the standards. If I get some time this weekend, I'll dig out my card reader and see what is on one of my old S&S cards.

No idea why the kiosks use the barcode vs magnetic strip. Only thing I can imagine is that the kiosks that track whether or not you are on board, hotel door lock, and folio systems are completely separate and wouldn't play nicely with each other/compete for the same space on the magnetic strip. Most out of the box systems will only read/write data from a predefined track of the magnetic strip.

Per the ISO standards, I would be willing to bet when you buy a drink at the bar, information (folio number) is read from track 1 of the magnetic strip. When you open your stateroom door, information is read from track 3. Although, not everyone plays by the standards. If I get some time this weekend, I'll dig out my card reader and see what is on one of my old S&S cards.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I think this kind of stuff is neat. Learn something new everyday!

I was thinking the same thing. Sure wouldn't want my

S+S card hanging outside my room until I got there. Any jackhole can buy FTTF and get down the hall early, if a credit card can be scanned while in your pocket why not S+S card in a mailbox? Not rocket science to hang out till occupants leave for dinner, slip in, 10 minutes, back out, steward's busy cleaning rooms. We live in a small rural town, and are very trusting, but we're not stupid.

Why wouldn't the cards be handed to you at check in like always or given to the steward to hand out

LOL JACKHOLE I actually spit my coffee on the screen tooo funny :D

When we were on Fascination the bar waiters only wrote down my folio number and if we ordered from a bar the bar tender entered my folio number into the computer, he or she did not scan the card.

Well first off, the portion of the S&S card that actually opens your cabin is NOT the magnetic strip on the back of your card, but rather the small barcode on the front of it. I'm not aware of a scanner made for those, but OK I'll play along. Second of all, the cards are in a TAMPER EVIDENT ENVELOPE which means it's sealed. So if it's missing or has clearly been opened, go to GS and report it. The old one will be DISABLED and no longer open the cabin. Zero possibility of your cabin being "robbed". Don't you keep valuables in the safe anyway?

I guess I don't remember a bar code, but it has been a year since our last Carnival cruise? Doesn't really matter the value of what is taken. I hope you never have anything stolen from your residence. I know you have never been robbed. If you were to be, you would realize its not what is taken, but the fact that someone has been in your personal, private space without your knowledge or consent. It is very concerting and infuriating. Having been in that position, I will make sure I take every precaution that it never happens again.

How about this, these are cruise ship passengers, not street people. I, unlike some, believe in mankind being honest. Why would anyone want to get kicked off their cruise for a free beer, OH Please.

I see you live in Grand Junction, Colorado. When is your next cruise and what is your address there. Don't be alarmed I'd just like to sent you a bon voyage gift before you leave.

I guess I don't remember a bar code, but it has been a year since our last Carnival cruise? Doesn't really matter the value of what is taken. I hope you never have anything stolen from your residence. I know you have never been robbed. If you were to be, you would realize its not what is taken, but the fact that someone has been in your personal, private space without your knowledge or consent. It is very concerting and infuriating. Having been in that position, I will make sure I take every precaution that it never happens again.

Really you know that how? You're wrong BTW. There's a lot more I want to say but won't. Worrying about someone stealing your card to "break in" to your cabin on a cruise ship is paranoia to the nth degree especially when there are security features in place some of which were mentioned earlier.

I believe they were also locked until a steward opened them later in the day. This was before they were empty.

Yes, I think you are right. They locked them the night before the previous people departed and then if you wanted it opened, you would ask the Steward to do it that night. At least that's how I remembered it. We only had them open (and clean it out) a few times.

I'm not worried so much about somebody breaking into my cabin as I am about somebody charging something on my card. I realize they are supposed to be safe because of your picture or whatever, but as somebody upthread mentioned, often the folio number is just written down. And on our cruise last month somehow my husband and managed to switch our cards, I used his all day long and he used mine, it wasn't until dinner when I ordered a glass of wine that our waiter noticed it. So clearly nobody paid attention to the pictures. Also, on the Vista at least you can use a kiosk to buy movie tickets and buy beer at the Red Frog Pub, without anybody checking your card. I just feel there needs to be a layer of security. As I said earlier, I will avoid the ships using this method until I feel comfortable that the risks have been worked out. I don't go on vacation to have to deal with an issue that shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really you know that how? You're wrong BTW. There's a lot more I want to say but won't. Worrying about someone stealing your card to "break in" to your cabin on a cruise ship is paranoia to the nth degree especially when there are security features in place some of which were mentioned earlier.

Hi FBW, Do you sometimes feel like you're preaching to an empty church?? ;)