Observing sea life in the Eastern Caribbean?

Willlie

Depends on where you are embarking from. We have seen dolphin following us out of port from Port Canaveral and other southern ports.

Just about every cruise we have ever been on, we have seen some sort of sea life off the side of the ship. You have to look though! If you see anyone hanging off the side of the ship pointing, that's a sure sign that something is in the water. On our last cruise, during Wilma, I happened to look out to sea just as an abandoned boat came drifting, quickly by our ship. See photo here:

2050468172_DSC01845Copy.JPG.bc547655682cf5a4d473f4a43c55ae74.JPG

The best show we ever got was seeing the whales in Cabo San Lucas and the dolphins that surrounded our ship, docked overnight in Hawaii. What a thrill! :D

Your best bet is to do some snorkeling in port. If you go to St. Thomas, take a ferry over to Trunk Bay in St. John. Beautiful fish!

Dreamer - I believe the boat I saw was from Cuban refugees also. We were following the coast of Cuba all that day. This ship got real close to the boat, so I think the Captain was looking to see if anyone was in it. There is no way that anyone could have survived that storm in a boat of that size. The photo above was taken after it had drifted off some, but when I first saw if, you could see right into it. Unless someone was down below in the hull, it was empty. The poor boat was tossing and pitching all over the sea. We had 20 foot waves that day.

We were on the Caribbean Princess on the 3/19 voyage this year and saw several whales on the second sea day. We were in the vicinity of the Silver Bank which is the winter preeding ground for the whales that summer up in New England. They put on a spectacular show for those of us watching. Several of them breeched.

We will be on the exact same voyage of the CP next year, departing 3/18 and I would expect to see them again in the same area.

I am confussed. :confused: The Caribbean Princess is in the Caribbean next March.

Why the confusion? The Silver Bank is an area off the North coast of the Dominican Republic where the Humback whales migrate to breed and give birth during the winter and spring. These are the same whales that spend the summer months in the New England area and migrate south during the winter.

Archived