Opinions on our Pride of America Itinerary?

bargaingrrrl

Hello fellow cruisers,

My wife and I will be going on the December 3rd Pride of America cruise and we have 2 days prior in Waikiki Beach. We are both in our late 30's, semi-active, love natural beauty, beaches, and snorkeling. Not too big on drinking and nightlife. We would like to do some light hiking, but my partner has knee problems so we can't go too far. This will probably be the only time we can visit Hawaii for a long time. I would love any opinions of what we are missing, or what we could miss from the people who have been there, done that.. Thanks in advance!!

Thursday December 1st

-Flight 9AM - 3:55 PM

-Shuttle airport to hotel included

-Hotel Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber w/breakfast vouchers

-20 min walk from Holiday Inn via boardwalk to Fireworks at Hilton Hawaiian Village 7:45pm watch from beach

-Find people selling chairs on beach- or ABC stores

-Duke’s Waikiki (on the way) for fish tacos

Friday December 2nd

-Breakfast vouchers at hotel

-Tour 6am- 2pm Honolulu City Tour with Pearl Harbor and Arizona Memorial

-Henna tattoo (call to schedule)

Saturday December 3rd

-Breakfast voucher at hotel

-Check bags at hotel

-Spend morning on beach

-Transfer hotel to Port of Honululu included

-Board cruise ship 12-4pm Pride of America

-Sail away is at 7

Sunday December 4th

-Ship docks in Kahului, MAUI 8am (until next day)

-Dollar Rent A Car with Discount Hawaii Car Rental Dec 4th, 8 AM- Dec 5th, 6 PM

-Road to Hana- (use Gyspy app) Upper Waikani Falls, Twin Falls (swim in waterfall), Halfway to Hana (banana bread), Waianapanapa St Park (Black sand), Hamoa Beach, Wailua Falls, Pipiwai trail (bamboo forest) Ohe'o Gulch

-Green Flash- sunset as top of sun falls below horizon 5:43pm

-Park at Maui Mall

Monday December 5th sunrise 6:30

-Check Snorkel Report email for beach conditions

-Lahaina Beaches-*Kapalua Beach, Kaanapali Beach, Nakalele Blow Hole OR

-Wailea Beaches-*Makena Landing Park, Ulua Beach Park Bgr

-Haleakala National Park if there’s time

-Return car at 4:30

-ship leaves MAUI at 6 pm

Tuesday December 6th

-ship docks in HILO 8am-6pm

-Dollar Rent A Car with Discount Hawaii Car Rental Dec 6th 8 AM - 6 PM

-Volcano Natl Park- Crater Rim Drive and Chain of Craters Road

-If there’s time on the way back, stop at the Mauna Loa Macadamia Factory.

-Rainbow Falls (close to Hilo) OR Akaka Falls St Park short hike

-Leleiwi Beach Park (turtles)(if time), near cruise ship port

-Return rental car at 5pm

-Watch lava flow from right side deck 12

Wednesday December 7th

-Ship docks in KONA 7am-5:30pm

-Dolphin snorkel tour 9am right off the ship (lunch included)

-Explore town by foot until 4:30pm OR

-Swim and snorkel at small beach right off tender

-Board ship by 5pm

Thursday December 8th

-Ship docks in Nawiliwili, KAUAI 10am (until next day)

-Dollar Rent A Car with Discount Hawaii Car Rental- Dec 8th 10 AM -Dec 9th, 2 PM

-Get parking pass after picking up car -shopping center Anchor Cove, overnight passes $20, walk to ship is 8 min

-Head out southwest- from ship dock- Kalapaki Beach, *Poipu Beach, Salt Pond Park (sunset?), Waimea Canyon St Park (.5 day), Polihale St Park (sunset?)

Friday December 9th

-Head out northeast- from ship dock- Wailua Falls (Wailua River St P), Anini Beach, Hanalei Bay, Tunnels Beach,*Kee Beach

-Drop off car at 1pm

-ship leaves KAUAI 2pm

Saturday December 10th

-ship docks in Honululu 7am

-leave ship between 7:30 and 9:30am

-Taxi or Uber to airport.

-Rent a car at HNL and go to Hanauma Bay for for snorkeling. In the afternoon, go to Waikiki and park in the Royal Hawaiian parking garage. Walk around and have dinner on Waikiki. Buy something at ABC store to validate parking ticket.

-leave for airport at 6:00pm

-Flight United from Honululu 9:05PM

Thanks for reading this far! Any opinions??

Sunday December 4th

-Ship docks in Kahului, MAUI 8am (until next day)

-Dollar Rent A Car with Discount Hawaii Car Rental Dec 4th, 8 AM- Dec 5th, 6 PM

-Road to Hana- (use Gyspy app) Upper Waikani Falls, Twin Falls (swim in waterfall), Halfway to Hana (banana bread), Waianapanapa St Park (Black sand), Hamoa Beach, Wailua Falls, Pipiwai trail (bamboo forest) Ohe'o Gulch

-Green Flash- sunset as top of sun falls below horizon 5:43pm

-Park at Maui Mall

Monday December 5th sunrise 6:30

-Check Snorkel Report email for beach conditions

-Lahaina Beaches-*Kapalua Beach, Kaanapali Beach, Nakalele Blow Hole OR

-Wailea Beaches-*Makena Landing Park, Ulua Beach Park Bgr

-Haleakala National Park if there’s time

-Return car at 4:30

-ship leaves MAUI at 6 pm

Thanks for reading this far! Any opinions??

What location do you have in mind for watching for the Green Flash?

Agree with Cruiser Bruce about Maui Mall parking.

Our opinion only, but doing west Maui could take all of Monday alone given what you propose and your time schedule. If you are thinking about going up to Haleakala after south Maui, do remember that the driving from Kahului to south Maui and then up Haleakala and back to Kahului will take a fair amount of time.

Thank you, I will look into parking at the airport or making 2 separate car rentals for Maui.

Can you see the green flash from anywhere in Maui? Any suggestions that are near our route on the way back from Hana?

Do you think we should skip Haleakala or should be skip the beaches?

Thanks!

Thank you, I will look into parking at the airport or making 2 separate car rentals for Maui.

Can you see the green flash from anywhere in Maui? Any suggestions that are near our route on the way back from Hana?

Do you think we should skip Haleakala or should be skip the beaches?

Thanks!

From our home on the western slope of Haleakala, at this time of year we can watch the sun set into the ocean around Maalaea. We don't see if every night, but if it is clear where the sun goes into the ocean we seem to have our best luck at seeing the green flash. You won't really have that view on the road to Hana. You need someplace (in our opinion) such a southern or western beach or place with a good view where you can watch the sun as it sets into the ocean.

Let's see what others say, but if we are dealing with mid-day travel, we would skip Haleakala (most popular at sunrise and sunset) and use our time touring west Maui, Upcountry, doing beaches, shopping, etc. (there are many more choices than these - this is just an example).

Maui:

Park at the airport. One rental is all you need. Shuttles will take you back and forth from the airport to the ship.

For Snorkeling: Kapalua Bay, is a lovely beach on the west side.

Or try the Ahihi Kinau Natural Area/The Dumps/Ma'onakala “The Dumps. This location is not for beginners as there was a current and a very rocky entry. The beach was not as pretty as the West shore beaches, but the coral was healthy and I loved the isolated feeling to the location. Saw lots of fish and the water clarity was excellent. This location was one of our best snorkeling spots on the trip.

Directions to the dumps:

Ahihi Kinau Natural Area/The Dumps/Ma'onakala. Follow Wailea Alanui Drive to the south - it will turn into Makena Alanui Drive, and once that comes to an end, it will be Makena Road. Past Big Beach, the road gets a bit narrower. A short ways past a large bend in the road, you'll see the signs welcoming you to Ahihi Kinau Natural Area Reserve. You'll pass a popular cove for snorkeling that's maybe 100 yards or so from the signs you just passed. If you're looking for "The Dumps" then keep on driving. After another 100 yards or so, you'll pass a long stone wall on your right, you will go up a hill and the large gravel parking lot will be close to the top with bright yellow gates on your right. THIS is the parking lot you're looking for. It is a rough parking lot, not paved. After parking walk toward the water to the end of the parking lot. You will see a short trail on your left.

Hilo:

Volcano national Park, rainbow falls and the boiling pots. This will fill the day. Do not try to add Akaka Falls or any beach time. Akaka Falls are further to drive and it takes at least 45 minutes to walk thru the rain forest and admire the falls.

Kauai:

There are shuttles from Anchor mall to the ship.

Fridays plan may be tough as the ship may leave at 2PM but you must be back on board at 1:30 and you need to return the car.

It is an hour and 10 minutes drive to Kee Beach, so that is 2.5 hours or driving. That leaves very little time to enjoy beaches. You could swap Thursday and Friday and just do the Canyon on Thursday and maybe add Spouting Horn Blow hole if you leave early.

If you do North Shore on Thursday. Add Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge. The views are amazing. The refuge is open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily. $5 per adult. 45 minutes to 1 hour visit time. Also add Opaekaa Falls – Plunges hundreds of feet- can be viewed from overlook. I thought they were prettier than Wailua Falls.

Honolulu

the Royal parking garage rates are:

4 hours or less is compliments of The Royal Hawaiian, with a $35 minimum purchase at one of the Royals restaurants or bars.

$6 for 4-12 hours

Also after Hanauma bay, stop at Halona Blowhole/lookout for the views before heading back to Waikiki.

I suggest, in Kauai, going to Waimai Canyons first- IF skies are clear. Best to take advantage of weather at first opportunity. I would then reverse you route and head toward Kee and sighting see that area rest of day. It's a mistake, to consider this the next day- unless you get a VERY early start and give yourself, at least double the amount of time to get back. This is VERY congested, slow moving, driving.

Poipu is very easy to do your second day- with a lot better flowing traffic to get back. Add Spouting Horn if you go there.

Kona- I am VERY picky about my snorkel trips and find this area has some spectacular options. I spend a week on Hawaii split between Kona and Hilo every year. When in Kona, I snorkel every day at 2 Step. The problem with what you may have booked, I'm assuming through the crusieline, needs a closer look at where it goes. You really want the Cook Inlet/Monument for the best- which will be listed, if the tour goes there. If it isn't, sorry, they are just going to dump you, likely where you could essentially beach access in so so areas.

It also makes a difference what time your tour is. Ideal is to make the best use of your time, and have this tour first thing in the port day.

Thank you all for your recommendations! I added a few stops to our itinerary.

Hello Budget Queen- regarding Kona- So we had to book an excursion through our travel company, as we had a voucher for $300 for shore excursions. We will miss out on two hours in Kona, as our tour does not leave until 9am but the ship docks at 7am. The full title of the tour is Dolphin Reef Captain Cook Snorkel Adventure, so we do go to the good snorkeling spot at Captain Cook Memorial. Although the tour indicates only 1 hour of snorkeling:(.

Our other option would be to cancel the tour, rent a car and go to two step and explore the island ourselves. (We have our own snorkel gear.) Then we would do an excursion upon debarkation in Honolulu called Bike, Hike, Sail and Snorkel Adventure. It sounds great, but they don’t allow luggage, so we would have to store it, and pier storage is only available until 5 or 6 I think?, and the tour doesn’t get done until 6pm. That is my only issue with switching the excursions.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to store luggage if we are going to do an excursion and won't be back until 6pm?

[quote name=bargaingrrrl;51559458

Hello Budget Queen- regarding Kona- So we had to book an excursion through our travel company' date=' as we had a voucher for $300 for shore excursions. We will miss out on two hours in Kona, as our tour does not leave until 9am but the ship docks at 7am. The full title of the tour is Dolphin Reef Captain Cook Snorkel Adventure, so we do go to the good snorkeling spot at Captain Cook Memorial. Although the tour indicates only 1 hour of snorkeling:(.

Our other option would be to cancel the tour, rent a car and go to two step and explore the island ourselves. (We have our own snorkel gear.) Then we would do an excursion upon debarkation in Honolulu called Bike, Hike, Sail and Snorkel Adventure. It sounds great, but they don’t allow luggage, so we would have to store it, and pier storage is only available until 5 or 6 I think?, and the tour doesn’t get done until 6pm. That is my only issue with switching the excursions.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to store luggage if we are going to do an excursion and won't be back until 6pm?[/quote]

That is a snorkel tour you want. :) You may or may not see dolphins, but, jump right in when they get to Cpt Cook and snorkel until they call you out. :) One of the top snorkel areas of Hawaii, contrary- I don't find snorkeling that good out of Oahu. Again- it depends on the DETAILS and WHERE you are doing all these activities????

As mentioned- Kona is a tender port. Hopefully you have status for priority tendering? IF not- then I would suggest, being ready to go and in line when the tenders start. It is NOT uncommon to have a couple hour wait later, and if your thinking of getting in line after 8am- you likely will miss your tour. EVERYONE wants off the ship.

As mentioned- Kona is a tender port. Hopefully you have status for priority tendering? IF not- then I would suggest, being ready to go and in line when the tenders start. It is NOT uncommon to have a couple hour wait later, and if your thinking of getting in line after 8am- you likely will miss your tour. EVERYONE wants off the ship.

It sounds like the tour Bargaingrrrl has booked is a ship's tour. If so, the tickets should indicate the meeting place/time on the ship or she will have a note in the cabin the day before. Generally, with a ship's tour you will meet and go ashore on the same tender and do not need to get a tender ticket.

If this tour is through an independent vendor and not the ship, then she will need a tender ticket. There will be a designated time and place to line up for tender tickets on the morning you arrive in Kona. It was Pink's Lounge for us, but the info will be in the Freestyle Daily the evening before. Tickets are first come first served unless you are Priority, in which case you will have a tender ticket sent to your cabin. If you are not priority, or a ship's tour, you wait for your tender to be called over the speakers. The earlier you pick up your ticket, the sooner you are off the ship.

Tuesday December 6th

-ship docks in HILO 8am-6pm

-Dollar Rent A Car with Discount Hawaii Car Rental Dec 6th 8 AM - 6 PM

-Volcano Natl Park- Crater Rim Drive and Chain of Craters Road

-If there’s time on the way back, stop at the Mauna Loa Macadamia Factory.

-Rainbow Falls (close to Hilo) OR Akaka Falls St Park short hike

-Leleiwi Beach Park (turtles)(if time), near cruise ship port

-Return rental car at 5pm

-Watch lava flow from right side deck 12

Rainbow Falls is closer, but in order to see the rainbow effect, you have to be there at a certain time of the morning. Hiking to the top can be optional if knees are grumpy.

Akaka falls requires a lot of stairs to do the loop - also, don't think that you've been led astray and that the Kahuna Falls is a big detour if you're already doing the loop. :o

Since mobility is something to consider, you may want to also think about the kinds of hikes/walks you want to do at Volcano National Park. The petroglyph walk, for example, doesn't look very far on a map, but as it's all over an uneven lava field until you get out to them, it's more taxing than it first appears. Sulfur banks and the devastation trails are paved and level (and windy - hold on to your hat).

We parked at Maui Mall on October 23. Bought some things at Long Drugs which is open 24 hours and left a receipt in the window. There was several other cruisers that parked even closer than Longs. When I talked to the Port security they told me they have never heard anyone being towed. After seeing the mall it is like any other mall in america on a Sunday night empty! I can't see why the mall security would care especially since the cruise brings so much activity to the mall and from what i could tell they do not enforce. Why would a minimum wage security guard care? The signs are minimal and faded at best. We chose to gamble along with numerous others on our cruise. Every mall in america says no overnight parking. Since Long Drugs is open 24 hours I cannot believe there is a way they can differentiate between a cruiser and a customer and would be liable if they towed a customer.

We parked at Maui Mall on October 23. Bought some things at Long Drugs which is open 24 hours and left a receipt in the window. There was several other cruisers that parked even closer than Longs. When I talked to the Port security they told me they have never heard anyone being towed. After seeing the mall it is like any other mall in america on a Sunday night empty! I can't see why the mall security would care especially since the cruise brings so much activity to the mall and from what i could tell they do not enforce. Why would a minimum wage security guard care? The signs are minimal and faded at best. We chose to gamble along with numerous others on our cruise. Every mall in america says no overnight parking. Since Long Drugs is open 24 hours I cannot believe there is a way they can differentiate between a cruiser and a customer and would be liable if they towed a customer.

You may think it's worth the risk, but I would never advise others to do this, as tows have been confirmed. Someone here contacted the mall management and received a response that they have a 'no overnight parking' policy. Why would a minimum wage security guard care? Maybe because his bosses tell him to be on the lookout for this, and maybe he wants to look good. And a rental car parked in the Longs Drug lot for several hours, especially in the wee hours, is pretty easy to spot. Obvious they are not shopping from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am.

I don't know why they have this policy, but the fact is they do. None of our local malls do, but we do not have a lot of tourists here in Indiana which might take advantage of it like they do in Hawaii. So perhaps that is the reason. And unfortunately, some municipalities like to make money off the tourists by ticketing, tows, etc. Not the way I'd want to spend my day in Maui.

Thanks everyone,

I will park at the airport in Maui, but it would be nice if the mall would just allow it, and charge for it!

I have deleted the petroglyph hike for my wife's poor knee.

I will make sure to get early tender tickets for Kona, our excursion is not through the ship.

Instead of snorkeling in Hanauma Bay after disembarkation, we will get a car and tour the north shore. -Byodo-In Temple Buddist gardens (40min from route), Turtle Beach, Waimea Valley (swim in waterfall, botanical gardens $16), Shark’s Cove (snorkel), then head to the airport early evening for our 9pm flight.

Hanauma bay is lovely. I actually found the snorkeling better at the bay than at sharks Cove. Sharks Cove is a much longer drive and can also get very crowded with no where to park and the walk down and up is full of tree roots and is a big climb. At the bay, there is a paved road and a shuttle that will take you up. I would stick to your original plan and visit the blow hole and sandy beach after the bay.

Hanauma bay is lovely. I actually found the snorkeling better at the bay than at sharks Cove. Sharks Cove is a much longer drive and can also get very crowded with no where to park and the walk down and up is full of tree roots and is a big climb. At the bay, there is a paved road and a shuttle that will take you up. I would stick to your original plan and visit the blow hole and sandy beach after the bay.

Te problem with Hanauma Bay for the OP is that she has to disembark and then get a car. Hanauma Bay requires a very early start. The parking is very limited and the OP can research this, but the lot is often full by 10:00 am.

It is a beautiful sight to see however, from the high overlook, even if you do not intend to snorkel. OP, I don't know your planned route to Byodo enroute to the Northshore, but you might consider taking the H1 out of Waikiki, which becomes 72 as it follows along the coast past Hanauma Bay overlook, blow holes, beautiful scenery and beaches. I don't know if the snorkeling is any good, but Waimanolo Bay is very beautiful and uncrowded. At some point the road curves around and you are heading North toward the Northshore. You'll need to connect to 83 before Byodo, and this road continues up the Windward Coast, sandwiched between the sea and the Koolau mountains. I love this stretch of highway. Look for the food trucks, I can't remember if after Waimea or before. Absolutely amazing shrimp made a dozen ways. The walk to the waterfall at Waimea is beautiful and not hard at all, but you can either ride up or back or both. Continue 83 all the way to Haliewa where you cut south and pick up the H2 which takes you straight back to the airport without any backtracking.

Edited by punkincc