Cruising with crawlers, tips?

Gardeneroflove

Hey,

We will be sailing Disney Wonder soon- me, Dh, odd (five) and 1yr oldish twins. My twins aren't yet walking or even pulling up, I'm clueless what to expect or the best way to move around the ship. Most of the time it will be 1 adult, 2/3 kids. (We will be allowing odd to go to the club for the first time). I haven't yet bought a second umbrella stroller, as I'm not sure how that will work. Should I get a carrier?

They are into everything and everywhere. I'm also clueless how to handle sleeping- these two don't stay put!

Any tips for traveling with babies? Odd was 14 months her first cruise, but walking since 8 months and on one nap a day. She'd stay in bed; these two roll/crawl right off.

What other than diapers, wipes, sippy, a few toys should I bring? I'm thinking some pouches because they are still iffy on eating.

I'm stressing, I'm going to forget something.

Not much advice for you, we will be taking our one year old boy on his first (our 7th). If you are thinking about getting a carrier do it soon and try it out, some kids hate them, my boy loves it but he's been in one since he was born. A double umbrella stroller would probably be way too wide to get around the ship but maybe a light weight tandem style stroller?

I am bringing his pack n play, he is a crazy sleeper and no way would he stay in a bed. He still does 2 naps as of right now but naps well in the stroller and even the carrier so we will try and do some things while he is napping but not all the time, he usually naps longer in his crib or pack n play.

Don't forget meds/thermometer crazy expensive on the ship if they even have the brands you like. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not much advice for you, we will be taking our one year old boy on his first (our 7th). If you are thinking about getting a carrier do it soon and try it out, some kids hate them, my boy loves it but he's been in one since he was born. A double umbrella stroller would probably be way too wide to get around the ship but maybe a light weight tandem style stroller?

I am bringing his pack n play, he is a crazy sleeper and no way would he stay in a bed. He still does 2 naps as of right now but naps well in the stroller and even the carrier so we will try and do some things while he is napping but not all the time, he usually naps longer in his crib or pack n play.

Don't forget meds/thermometer crazy expensive on the ship if they even have the brands you like. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

You might want to check with your cruiseline....most will have pack-n-plays onboard for you to use...really not necessary to lug your own...RCI doesn't have "fitted" sheets for them so we bring our own.

That's right..cribs or P&P's will be provided...whichever Disney uses. I'm sure someone on the Disney boards can tell you that info.

You do need to bring ALL the "baby specific" stuff you'll need...the ship doesn't have much, if any "pediatric" stuff!

Definitely have a stroller for the twins...the 5 year old should be good with walking..

I'm sure Disney is better since it is a very family oriented cruise, but we are going on carnival and I have heard mixed reviews about sometimes the crib never being provided even when requested. I just can't take that chance. I will also need it for the hotel before and after, not all hotels provide one.

I wore my son a TON in our Ergo when he cruised at 10 months old. He slept in a pack n play and we brought his bottles, spoons, disposable bibs, dish soap and bottle brush, etc. I also wore him a good bit on his second cruise when he was just over 2 (we had a Toddler size Tula by then). Although we did take and use an umbrella style stroller (with basket, recline & sunshade) on both trips as well. With twins I would definitely try to get them used to being worn so you can wear one while pushing the other in the stroller!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We used the ship's pack n play when my son was 2 and 3. They worked out fine on HAL and Princess. We carried on a crib sheet from home, so our son had something familiar with him, plus the sheets weren't there when we boarded. If your kids will take a nap close to boarding, definitely carry on a sheet (don't check it with your luggage when you board the ship, since it may take a few hours to get your luggage back).

Do they eat fresh fruit (this can't be brought off the ship for excursions but can be stored in your room so they always have a snack?

Yoghurt (not sure if it can be brought off the ship) and packaged cereals (which can be brought off the ship) are great for excursions if they will eat them. We would bring a ton of different cereal boxes on excursions, and when my son got whiny let him pick a new box. He was all happy again. Bring a large bag to the first breakfast buffet, and make sure your room has whatever food the children will eat so you are never scrambling for a snack.

Edited by kitkat343

Another thing I thought of is maybe toddler sized utensils and dish soap to wash sippy cups and stuff.

Bring the disposable type...easy to get up from the table and forget these things.....also we brought the stick-on type disposable placemats.

My daughter was crawling only in our last cruise. I'm not going to lie that was the hardest part. She wanted to explore and I didn't want her on the filthy floor. We sprayed down the stateroom so i gave her more reign in their but everywhere else we had issues. We would take her on walks around deck with stroller. Practiced walking a lot l. She was pulling up at this time so when she was really desperate to move we would go to an uncrowded lounge and make a barricade with chairs facing in. Put toys in their with us and let her pull up and bounce on the chairs and crawl and move to her hearts content. We were in RCI so there were open play times in the royal babies and tots nursery so we took advantage of that when not in Port. In Port days they will get wore out just seeing so many new things. I did wear her at Port in the ergo a lot. Again like others mentioned get them used to wearing them. Then buy two carries and have you and DH both wear one.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I don't think I've ever in the history of my Internet life abandoned a thread, I'm sorry!

We ended up taking two ergos, (bought one, borrowed one), two umbrella strollers with connectors, disposal bibs and sippies. No utensils as they eat with hands. The bibs were a waste, they pulled them off immediately, every time. Oh well.

To board I wore one and had one in the stroller since Dh dropped us off. Leaving we wore both. I never left for ports, though he wore one baby out to scuff up is new boots.

We didn't use the second umbrella stroller for the twins BUT Dh took odd to port while I took twins to mdr for lunch. She hasn't been in a stroller in over a year but the pier is long and hot, so it worked out!

Mostly we wore them, one each, they loved it! They'd crawl right to whoever was putting a carrier on. Best part was great naps while wearing them, we actually were able to see a movie. If I/Dh had both, then wore one and the other in the umbrella.

They offered a pnp, but there was really no room without blocking the balcony or ability to move around.

We used two bed rails on the bed and they slept with me. They both started pulling up, but no one fell off of the bed. I had to put trash cans and such up, but they couldn't open drawers or doors.

I let them crawl in the floor in the cabin, in the new toddler area, and splash pad (Disney Wonder). Mostly they liked being worn. There were lots of open play times and toddler time but we never made it.

The downside was they got used to being worn very quickly and loved having us both so close. Now that we're home one still fussing when I leave the room.