Disembark Solstice After Check-in Sydney Australia

mac4320

We are arriving early AM Nov 27 in Sydney to board Celebrity Solstice.We are using the Celebrity Airport to Pier transfer. We would like to do a short walking tour along the pier. May we get back off the ship once we check in and find our room? Or, Is there a secure place to put our bags before we board the ship and checkin. Thanks.

From my previous experiences with Solstice at the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT) in Sydney, you will be able to drop off your luggage from about 8.30-9.00am and then do your walking tour around the terminal area, and nearby The Rocks, Opera House and Botanical Gardens. Would also highly recommend that you take a round-trip ferry ride on our beautiful Sydney Harbour. The ferries leave regularly from the pier which is adjacent to where the Solstice is berthed. You can also enjoy a relaxed breakfast at the many cafes situated close to the OPT as well.

Boarding the Solstice, I believe, will start at about 11am and once you have embarked on the ship you will not be allowed to leave, particularly if the Solstice sails that evening. If you do not sail until the next evening, you will be able to get off the ship whenever you wish, but must return approx. 2 hrs. before sailaway.

Hope this info helps.

Thats totally correct CCC's.

this whole subject was fully covered in a separate thread started on 26/10 called Boarding and disembarking soon after.

Gbenjo gave full facts about OPT in Sydney. He works at the terminal as I understand and is a very knowledgeable poster on Cruise Critic. He advises this is a port authority ruling and not a ship ruling. There is absolutely no way you can disembark in Sydney once boarded at the beginning of a cruise in Sydney. Just for fun I tested this out on Carnival Spirit last week on the way to Melbourne Cup cruise. Totally banned... not allowed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thats totally correct CCC's.

this whole subject was fully covered in a separate thread started on 26/10 called Boarding and disembarking soon after.

Gbenjo gave full facts about OPT in Sydney. He works at the terminal as I understand and is a very knowledgeable poster on Cruise Critic. He advises this is a port authority ruling and not a ship ruling. There is absolutely no way you can disembark in Sydney once boarded at the beginning of a cruise in Sydney. Just for fun I tested this out on Carnival Spirit last week on the way to Melbourne Cup cruise. Totally banned... not allowed!

Thanks for the wrap Rhaussie :D Just one minor point...It is not a Port Authority rule but is an ABF (Australian Border Force) ie. Customs rule.

I personally have boarded Celebrity Solstice and walked back off the ship on embarkation day. If it is a late night departure and the ship has shore excursions arranged on embarkation day then chances are you will be allowed off.

I can give an absolute assurance that very recently I was allowed to walk off Celebrity Solstice not long after checking in and boarding the ship.

I personally have boarded Celebrity Solstice and walked back off the ship on embarkation day. If it is a late night departure and the ship has shore excursions arranged on embarkation day then chances are you will be allowed off.

I can give an absolute assurance that very recently I was allowed to walk off Celebrity Solstice not long after checking in and boarding the ship.

How long ago did this happen?

As I said above refer to Gbenjo and my confirmation experience. If still in doubt reread Gbenjo again. This was actually subject to some incredibly spirited discussion on the previous thread. Spirited is a polite term in fact for some of the discussion. Its mostly all there in that thread. (Some has mysteriously disappeared)

So there you go. Explore the Rocks area first after dropping your luggage and board as late as you can.

You will absolutely love Solstice. We are sailing on her for the 4th time this year on her Christmas New Year cruise. Solstice is a beautiful ship with great bars, food (go to Murano),lounges and the very best of all Cafe Al Bacio.

Not in the last two years you didn't sunshine.

Which one of your three or four names were you traveling under :confused:

drop your bags at the bag drop area...they will probably make it onto the ship before you. then you can explore at your leisure and check in later in the day.Sydney has many lovely places to explore within walking distance of the cruise terminal. and yes, a ferry ride on the harbor is not to be missed.

cheers

Belinda

1. On matters like this you can take gbenjo'S word to the bank.

2. I agree with the suggestion you drop your bags then explore. I've seen the bag drop open at about 7:30 or 8:00 most times I've been there.

3. don't listen to gbenjo about who's Spethshial and who's not but believe him about procedure at the OPT. even more sp if it's Celebrity or a Royal.

Gbenjo could correct me but leaving a ship after embarkation in Sydney hasn't been permitted since the new OPT was started and subsequently completed. I also fail to comprehend once having boarded why someone would want to leave again straight away.

Gbenjo could correct me but leaving a ship after embarkation in Sydney hasn't been permitted since the new OPT was started and subsequently completed. I also fail to comprehend once having boarded why someone would want to leave again straight away.

The ABF rule has always been there but out of courtesy to guests they tended to turn a blind eye to it in past years until a couple of " incidents" forced them to enforce the rule. This happpened around about, but nor because of, the Lindt Cafe tradgedy and while the OPT renovation was under way.

As far as why someone would want to leave the ship after embarking, well apart from those guests who spend the first day of their cruise decontaminating their stateroom because the crew do not do it properly and then run out of disinfectant and need to get off to buy more :rolleyes: We do get a number of overseas guests who fly in the morning of the cruise and come straight from the airport to the terminal and don't get to see the city at all but thee are a number of signs throughout the terminal advising that the cannot leave the ship but there are alwayss a few who do not read the signs.

Just a few examples, some from personal experience:

- Can be useful to board with companions, but get off if needing to work

- Sometimes personal essentials are forgotten, whether before or after unpacking.

- Similarly I ran into someone - which I imagine is pretty common - who didn't realise powerpoints were US/Euro only and didn't have an adapter. Also the shop onboard doesn't open til late after leaving port - no good if needing to charge any device while still in port.