Best Time For Fall Foliage 2006

sandsand

I know there is no way to predict when the leaves will change next year but based on history which dates would you choose for next year? We were thinking September but this year's late change is having me double check. This will be my first New England cruise.

September 23, 30

October 7, 14, 21

Any suggestions?

20% chance for each of the above.

Actually, based on this year, I'd say 18% for each of the above, and 10% chance of no foliage, like this year.

Of course your results may will vary depending on where you go -- New Brunswick will be changing color 2 weeks before Boston, and Newport changes later than that.

best time to see the change in leaves will be different depending upon where in New England one is. Bar Harbor, Maine is approx 270 miles north and east of Boston and is about 2-3 weeks ahead for fall and about the same behind for spring.

Usually the 11-22 of October would be a good range for color change - if it is a normal year - this year the leaves ended up going by with very little color.

Seems that very seldom are there normal years - I've seen it snow in June - a summer that only had 12 days without rain - in the 50's at Christmas - and 50 below.

I did a lot of research this year when picking the week that I would go and settled on an Oct 15th cruise. The fall colors were late this year and we really only saw them in 2 ports (Nova Scotia had the best colors).

Here is an excellent website and you can go look at the archieves for years past (for US NE). According to years past - Oct 15th should have been a good week:

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/northeast_us/

• 1 month later...

here in Southern Connecticut leaves were late this year, but they certainly did change! September may be a bit early. At least in Southern New England, September is usually still 70s and 80s temp wise and folliage doesnt really pop yet. Can't speak for northern New England but I recommend waiting till mid-October.

We are booked on Sea Princess sailing from Quebec on 10/8. We hope to see a lot of color. We sailed on Connie from New York a couple of years ago in late September but colors were just starting to change a little. While in Quebec we did tour the Laurentians and the color was magnificent !

• 4 weeks later...

We're going on the RCL Jewel 10/14 and am hoping for the best. One year we went that week and it was too late, last year we went that week and it was too early so you just never know. So what, we'll be cruising! :D

• 3 weeks later...
We're going on the RCL Jewel 10/14 and am hoping for the best. One year we went that week and it was too late, last year we went that week and it was too early so you just never know. So what, we'll be cruising! :D

I am contemplating going again this year and would pick this date also. I also went last year on 10-15 and it was too early...

I am contemplating going again this year and would pick this date also. I also went last year on 10-15 and it was too early...

Hi Coral: I am also going on a Canda/New England trip but leraving on oct. 5. This will be our second cruise there and frankly like you said you just never know when the best color is so heck I am going on that cruise color or not.:D

Marilyn

It really depends on if we have a long cold rainy spring like last year we had 3 weeks of that weather it was not good.I am a local from the sydney area I can tell you anything about cape breton Island :) The time I would really suggest is the first week of Oct to approx. 15 oct for the best color again it depends on where you are going on Cape Breton and what you will be seeing. drop me a line and I'll let you know what the spring weather is like.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for the encouraging words. I would move it to the next cruise 10 days later but we got the perfect handicap cabin on the stern. Maybe I can buy some glasses with red tinting for the leaves... :)

Not necessary...you will still see some color on the leaves--it just won't be at peak. Seriously, the time you are going is the time of the year that I always rejoice that I live in New England...it is glorious weather!

We just got off the Grand Princess yesterday and booked a future cruise while on board. Originally we were thinking of a full transit Panama Canal cruise as soon as I retire (2-3 years at most), but the more we talk about it the more we think we will do Canada/New England again - that was our first cruise 5 years ago and while I'm tempting fate because it was perfect, it seems like that's what we'll do for our 35th anniversary. We loved all the ports, and the people, and since we did all the "mandatory" tours the first time around we can do a bit more on our own this time.

Our first time around was in mid October and the leaves hadn't turned yet - but it was still beautiful. Hard to try and out guess Mother Nature I guess.

But if any of you know what day the colors will be best next year - please let me know :-)

I did the 10 day itinerary Montreal-> New York once before on princess and loved it. Guess that's why I'm trying to do same route again. Now I think Princess starts(or ends) in Quebec City instead of Montreal, even better. I don't live in New England or Canada so everything there is new and different for me.

I have the answer. If one goes the first week of Sept and goes b2b until end of October. One would be fairly sure to see the peak of color.

We are going 9/23 with hopes of great weather and maybe a little color.

• 3 weeks later...

Sandsand: DH and I did the Maasdam 9/24/05 sailing and unfortunately we saw very little fall foliage. Disappointed yes, but the cruise was great. We drove up into New Hampshire hoping to see some color in the leaves and New Hampshire was actually the one spot along the highway where we saw a bit of color. I thought we might see more in Bar Harbor, Maine but didn't. The weather the day we were in Bar Harbor was actually quite warm.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 1 month later...
I am from Cape Breton and the colors really didn't come out until the last year until the last week of sept to the first week of oct. I hope this helps.

Your information was very helpful to me when I was planning to visit Sydney, Nova Scotia on the Constellation's 9/24/06 sailing, arriving there in early October.

Unfortunately, Celebrity has made a(nother) itinerary change which removes Sydney from our itinerary and replaces it with Saint John, New Brunswick.

They want to save fuel. I want to see fall colors!

Soo....do you have any information about Saint John's foliage?

Archived