Beach at Roatan

Cruisin 4 Ever

As a beach, Mahogany Bay blows. The beaches on the western part of the island are beautiful and have some of the best "from shore" snorkeling in the world. Do yourself a favor and get away from Carnival's man made port.

I dont prefer the beach at the port. My favorite beach there is bananarama on the west end beaches. Gorgeous sand, water, amenities and facilities.

Thanks for the info about the chairs.

Almost missed this , your so welcome :). Most don't know how to use those words on these boards here lately .It's really nice to see people still do appreciate our help when asked. Have a great cruise. icon14.gif

I dont prefer the beach at the port. My favorite beach there is bananarama on the west end beaches. Gorgeous sand, water, amenities and facilities.

I've spent 2 weeks next door to bananarama at Infinity Bay Condos, which is adjacent to Tabayana Beach on the other side.

It's funny about perspective: when I cruise, I can't wait to get to Tabayana to snorkel, swim and relax. When I'm staying at Infinity Bay, I can't wait for when all those pesky cruise ship people leave and I can enjoy the beach without them!

The beach is "acceptable" if you are just getting off to stretch your legs, feel some sand between your toes etc.

But as others have hinted at, you miss SO MUCH in Roatan if you don't leave the port. The people are just lovely, and want to share their beautiful island with you. For little money, you can book a private island tour, allowing you to get up into the jungle hillsides for some fantastic vistas. And as others have noted, West Bay beach is excellent. Good local restaurants on the strip, and amazing snorkeling from shore. If you aren't adventuresome to book privately, opt for the Tabayana beach break from the cruise line.

I agree! We love Bananarama.

The loungers at the port were so broken down I couldn't sit in them because of a bad back. The floats smelled of B.O. so bad there was no way I was using mine. We bought the package with the chairs, clamshell and floats and probably spent more time standing in line to return the floats than we did on the beach. The place was wall to wall people and there was an oil sheen on the water. We went back to the ship that trip and enjoyed the pool.

I agree! We love Bananarama.

The loungers at the port were so broken down I couldn't sit in them because of a bad back. The floats smelled of B.O. so bad there was no way I was using mine. We bought the package with the chairs, clamshell and floats and probably spent more time standing in line to return the floats than we did on the beach. The place was wall to wall people and there was an oil sheen on the water. We went back to the ship that trip and enjoyed the pool.

It's amazing that the majority of cruisers do not use an oil free or biodegradable sun screen, which causes that water sheen. it's worse when snorkeling over reefs and the oil layers distort one's vision.

Cruisers can make a difference by using oil free - and it costs the same at Walgreens or CVS!

We visited LFK twice on different Sundays, when no cruise ships were in port. Perhaps less than 40 visitors total. Had a solo snorkel with Ronelli the 1st time, the 2nd was with just one another couple.

I don't think LFK has resolved its animal licensing issues with the local government. Anyone have updated info?

In 2013 we did the "Canopy Tour & Tabyana Beach" excursion. Zip Lining is a blast! The beach was excellent. We have our own snorkel gear. The underwater view is fantastic. Wish I had a camera. It was the highlight of this cruise. We'd do this again in a heartbeat.

I've spent 2 weeks next door to bananarama at Infinity Bay Condos, which is adjacent to Tabayana Beach on the other side.

It's funny about perspective: when I cruise, I can't wait to get to Tabayana to snorkel, swim and relax. When I'm staying at Infinity Bay, I can't wait for when all those pesky cruise ship people leave and I can enjoy the beach without them!

With 4 weeks at Infinity Bay I share your perspective. Great beach but you get spoiled when there are no cruise ships in port.

can you rent snorkel equipment at the good snorkel beaches on the other side?

A vendor has snorkels masks and fins for rent @ $10. I watched him clean the masks and snorkels with a quick swish in shallow salt water, so I don't recommend using his stuff unless you disinfect them yourself.

His stand is to the left of the Tabayana lounges, next to the masseuse ladies and the start of Infinity Bay Hotel.

I like using my own mask and snorkel for this reason.

BTW, there are usually local guides in kayaks who can "tow" you thru the cut in the reef, take you to the drop off, and then thru the reef and back to shore. It's a great service for those who are unfamiliar with the reef and want to maximize their snorkel. Just tip accordingly, $5 or 10 for one or two people.

Edited by evandbob