Powdered Eggs

khewston

You are always a wealth of information, always enjoy your posts, thank you!

Is there anything about anything you don't know? :)

Eggs of all things! :eek:

Since he's been working on ships since 1975 there probably isn't much worth knowing that he doesn't know:).

You are always a wealth of information, always enjoy your posts, thank you!

Is there anything about anything you don't know? :)

Eggs of all things! :eek:

Thanks. When you have to be trained by USPH to understand the sanitation and food safety regulations (the engineers have to do this because we maintain the equipment), you learn a whole lot more about the process of "slopping the hogs" (oops, I mean feeding the passengers) than you really want to know.

I was, on the Vista during the TA. most days we had MDR breakfast. I wanted soft boiled eggs so badly. Every time there was, an excuse. Anyone have any idea why 2minute boiled eggs are an issue?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

Shouldn't be as they make eggs benedict by the boat load. I am careful to ask for soft, runny eggs, and order extra holandaise on the side (in case the top gets crusty under the heat lamp). As a general rule, when I remember to request the details the wait staff takes the time to find/get it made the way I requested it.

Try asking for poached eggs - pretty much the same thing....

I was, on the Vista during the TA. most days we had MDR breakfast. I wanted soft boiled eggs so badly. Every time there was, an excuse. Anyone have any idea why 2minute boiled eggs are an issue?

Someone upthread said that the hard boiled eggs are purchased already boiled and if that is the case they will be cooked through for safety. Maybe if you asked at the omelet station they could accommodate the request.

The real story , go to the omelet line and request fresh eggs. if you ask for real eggs they seem to fail to recognize the word "real". So ask for fresh eggs . That's the only true way you will receive fresh eggs. They will even crack them in front of you or use a separate container with the yolk intact.

;)

Edited by BoDidly

Shouldn't be as they make eggs benedict by the boat load. I am careful to ask for soft, runny eggs, and order extra holandaise on the side (in case the top gets crusty under the heat lamp). As a general rule, when I remember to request the details the wait staff takes the time to find/get it made the way I requested it.

Try asking for poached eggs - pretty much the same thing....

I can't swallow whites that are remotely loose, but that's all I get when I order EB.

So, last time, I asked that the egg be cooked well. They letterally gave me a hard boiled egg on an English muffin with Canadian bacon and hollandaise sauce.

Unfortunately for large kitchens logistics of having massive pots or "stew kettles etc) to boil eggs is a nightmare. Its possible that port that it embarked from food vendor did not have hard boiled eggs. Any North American foodservice company has these by the truck loads. I imagine if asked they could do so, but on a large scale from fresh to boil would not end in a good customer result.

I can't swallow whites that are remotely loose, but that's all I get when I order EB.

So, last time, I asked that the egg be cooked well. They letterally gave me a hard boiled egg on an English muffin with Canadian bacon and hollandaise sauce.

On the NCL Gem they had Eggs Benedict on the buffet at breakfast. The eggs were floating in hot water and when I ordered them were transferred briefly to boiling water. I figured that the yolks would be cooked through under that method but to my surprise the yolks were still runny (the whites were nice and solid though).

Now that's just funny!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had poached. Not the same. I like tapping a little hole on the top.

Then if the shell and cracking the top are important then I suggest you not order eggs on a cruise. They are having to feed literally thousands of people breakfast - it's not you local breakfast hole where everything is made to order. Perhaps if you took a behind the scenes tour which includes the kitchen it would help you understand the enormity of what they are accomplishing and that the food they serve is very well done given the parameters they must operate within.

So I guess my answer to you original question is a 2 min soft boiled egg is an unreasonable expectation....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

no it's not, Egg Beaters are egg whites with yellow food coloring. We carry it in our restaurant.

If Egg Beaters isn't the same (and it doesn't sound it) I am sure that the same thing is available commercially somewhere. There are some people that don't like cracking eggs that would be willing to buy it.