Re-newal of passports...

one9marine

We sent my daughter's expired passport for renewal and it took almost five weeks. It finally came last week. Thank goodness.

Mailed our renewals on October 24th and got them back November 5th. 13 days! Quite impressed with the turnaround.

Wonder if the 5 weeks had something to do with the passport being expired? Ours were not.

We sent my daughter's expired passport for renewal and it took almost five weeks. It finally came last week. Thank goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An expired passport goes through more processing than a true renewal...that would account for the time difference.

I have a June Alaska trip and my passport expires in August....so I'll be sending my renewal in January or February... they frown upon passports that are expiring within 6 months ... good rule of thumb to send it out before then

I have a June Alaska trip and my passport expires in August....so I'll be sending my renewal in January or February... they frown upon passports that are expiring within 6 months ... good rule of thumb to send it out before then

Who frowns? Not Canada. They don't have that rule. Some countries do. But not the country you'll be going through for the Alaska cruise.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/canada.html

Your passport is fine for that cruise without renewing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who frowns? Not Canada. They don't have that rule. Some countries do. But not the country you'll be going through for the Alaska cruise.

Your passport is fine for that cruise without renewing it.

Nope...US frowns on it.... you can use it, but rather not have US customs decide to be an annoyance :) We did have some issues on last Alaska trip and my GF passport was within 4 months

Nope...US frowns on it.... you can use it, but rather not have US customs decide to be an annoyance :) We did have some issues on last Alaska trip and my GF passport was within 4 months

What kind of "issues" would you have with a valid US passport on an Alaska cruise? To enter Canada, your passport needs to be valid at time of entry, there is no six month requirement for Canada.

It's likely you just got a funky customs agent. Why would the US care??? The other countries (who care) care in case you stay so long you outlast your passport.

Just a note if you're in need of re-newing...

We had to re-new our passports. Pleasantly surprised at the quick turn around time.

We sent them off Nov. 4 and got them back today the 16th. 12 days, can't beat that. :D

Thanks for the information! So glad to hear about the quick turn around time. I sent mine off last week. I've got time, but am hoping to receive it as quickly as you did!

Caren

Just an FYI.....if you need your passport renewed anytime in 2017 it is recommended you do it very early in the year or even now. We were recently told by a government official that the number of passports expiring in 2017 was five times the usual number as all of the new passport regulations went into effect 10 years ago and people were required to have one for things they previously didn't need one for.

So he recommended renewing very early as they are expecting the wait times to possibly be up to 3 months.

My mom sent hers last month and it only took two weeks so we are glad she got it taken care of now.

Just an FYI.....if you need your passport renewed anytime in 2017 it is recommended you do it very early in the year or even now. We were recently told by a government official that the number of passports expiring in 2017 was five times the usual number as all of the new passport regulations went into effect 10 years ago and people were required to have one for things they previously didn't need one for.

So he recommended renewing very early as they are expecting the wait times to possibly be up to 3 months.

My mom sent hers last month and it only took two weeks so we are glad she got it taken care of now.

I read about this. I just sent a renewal in for our kids expired passports on Monday partly for that reason and also because we are leaving on a cruise Dec 12. Was concerned about the 5 weeks so I paid extra for the 2-3 week processing and overnight.

I hope they get here on time...[emoji27]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I also just sent my renewal, mine expires next July but we are going to Alaska at the end of May out of Vancouver and coming back again through Canada. For me it is not worth the worry about getting it in time or not I will need it renewed anyway now works for me.

I will be glad to have it in 2 weeks but if it takes 5 that is OK too then I need to find out how to update my KTN, but again I will have time to call and find out.

I read about this. I just sent a renewal in for our kids expired passports on Monday partly for that reason and also because we are leaving on a cruise Dec 12. Was concerned about the 5 weeks so I paid extra for the 2-3 week processing and overnight.

I hope they get here on time...[emoji27]

Fwiw for kids it's not actually a renewal.

If it's a cruise where birth certificates will work, make sure you have an extra certified bc for them just in case.

I thought you couldn't use birth certificates any more for reentry after a cruise...

You can still use a certified copy of a US birth certificate and a government issued photo ID if your cruise starts and ends at the same US port.

You can still use a certified copy of a US birth certificate and a government issued photo ID if your cruise starts and ends at the same US port.

How about kids with no ID?

I thought you couldn't use birth certificates any more for reentry after a cruise...

How about kids with no ID?

For children 15 and younger, no ID is required.

For 16+, either a learner's permit/driver's license is fine. If they aren't driving yet, you can get them a State ID from the MVA. (I did this for my daughter when she was 13 - she looked older than that, and it was cheap.)

Aloha,

John

On a related note, be aware that when you renew your passport the number will change. So if you have Global Entry you will need to update your profile on their website and enter the new passport number in place of the old one. Otherwise, the airport GE kiosks will not recognize you when you scan your passport. (Presumably this is the same for other known traveler programs.)

An expired passport goes through more processing than a true renewal...that would account for the time difference.

We just renewed ours this week for that very reason. Our passports expire in April and we are sailing in February. Good idea to plan ahead for something that important!:cool: