Luggage on a Transatlantic

antsp

our daughter would like a bike that's on available to buy in the USA, it will be boxed and sealed up. Any thoughts about bringing it back to the UK via the Crown princess
That would be an expensive way to ship a bike [emoji33] [emoji6] It could probably be done but you would need to store it in your cabin. It would be best to call Princess. Don't know if you would be liable for taxes. I once brought a bike to our son studying at Cambridge as checked luggage on an airline. That was when I got two checked bags for free. I reassembled it at Heathrow where he met me and picked it up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

our daughter would like a bike that's on available to buy in the USA, it will be boxed and sealed up. Any thoughts about bringing it back to the UK via the Crown princess

I would have thought the biggest issue is that you wil need to declare it on arrival. I would contact HMRC, anonymously, by telephone, and ask them about VAT and any other taxes. You can ask as a general question and they should be able to answer. They have a helpline on 0300 200 3700

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Follow this link to get more information before you call them. Provided you go through the prpoer procedures, and accept that you will have to keep it in your cabin, I can't see that Princess will have a problem. After all, apart from size, it is no different to buying a watch abroad.

EDIT

Had a quick search on Google 'importing bicycle into UK' and came up with the following

https://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/16850-import-duty-rate-for-Bicycle-is-14/

Seems to suggest that you will have to pay 15% import duty plus 20% VAT.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

We have booked this cruise by the way, we are sailing home on her.

We have booked this cruise by the way, we are sailing home on her.

That's what I thought. The only two issues I foresee are boarding with the item with the box/item being closely inspected and then whether the cruise line wanted to store it or let you store it in your cabin.

Second issue relating to importing the item, when you go through immigration and customs there is a red lane for items to declare. I should assume that whereas on closed loop ex Southampton cruises the booths are often deserted for a transatlantic they will be manned.

Regards John

Hi We are also on the Crown TA. :).

I would speak to Princess, here in the UK, if they don't know they could find out for you. But we have been on a cruise where a chap brought a Harley home.:rolleyes: But on a normal note, we have been on many cruises where passengers and crew, take cycles with them and take them off in port to go exploring. On our NZ cruise our table mates did preciously that. Hope you can find a way to get the bike for your daughter, that would be a super present.

Other than customs i think that this is a great idea.

I suspect that if you ask nicely the folks on the ship will store it outside of your cabin.

Do not blame you one bit. Most especially if you are gettingmuch better value for your money or getting something difficult to source in the UK. When my son lived in London we brought him items from Canada that were much less expensive than they were in the UK. At the time it was Apple products.

We actually find a number of UK made items that are considerably less expensive when purchased in Canada than they are in the UK or in the UK airport duty free stores?

I have no feedback on your issue BUT I simply wanted to pay you a compliment.

You must be a really GREAT parent :) weather you are able to accomplish your task or not. She will be touched that you cared enough to try. (If not now, she will definitely appreciate it decades in the future when we truly understand what our parents did for us :) )

I have no feedback on your issue BUT I simply wanted to pay you a compliment.

You must be a really GREAT parent :) weather you are able to accomplish your task or not. She will be touched that you cared enough to try. (If not now, she will definitely appreciate it decades in the future when we truly understand what our parents did for us :) )

I am happy for it to go in the wardrobe ,I'm sure it will fit in at the back. Still a luggage label on and hope it arrive at the cabin, I may even tip the porter $5

We saw 2 guys riding their bikes back to the ship last month after a day in port. I thought, "What a great idea!" I think it would be easier to bring it with you on the ship than most people think. Just get written word that it's okay from Princess, information about any taxes and print it out to keep with you for your arrival in the UK.

Is it no good, she loves it

Very heavy, pretty low quality. It's a bike where more design money goes into how the bike looks than the quality of the parts. If she doesn't have to use the bike for day to day transportation it will may be ok.

Very heavy, pretty low quality. It's a bike where more design money goes into how the bike looks than the quality of the parts. If she doesn't have to use the bike for day to day transportation it will may be ok.

I don't know, but maybe she gets to pick out her own bicycle without getting permission from the crowd on CC. :rolleyes:

We've taken a few items to family interstate, that we're way on the big side, and never had an issue, on one of our next two cruises we are taking a dolls house to Tasmania for a niece it's about 4 or 5 foot tall, two and a half wide 18 inches deep. Her dad made it for his granddaughter, a lot easier than posting it.

Thanks, I appreciate for the money it's going to be low quality, the bike will be used just to get around campus', so nothing serious

Thanks, I appreciate for the money it's going to be low quality, the bike will be used just to get around campus', so nothing serious

I have a similar Huffy bike that I ride around my neighborhood. I've had it for three years and it's holding up fine. It'll be fine for getting around campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro