Viking China

2tsquared

We are on the same tour -- perhaps we'll meet on the ship - I started a roll call but only 4 people replied.

Email me privately at nccatech<at>gmail<dot>com if you want to set up a get together. (We're flying into Shanghai early to do some jet-lag recovery and some tours to Souzhou and Guilin before joining the cruise group.)

I don't think any particular shots are required but what shots did you get and why? We are going on 2 May on the new Emerald.

There were no shots required for China - but we had our tetanus/diptheria/polio booster and started the Twinrix series for Hep A/B (our last hep shot was 18 years ago :eek: -- didn't realize it had been that long) which are good to have even at home. We are going to South America over Christmas/New Years on our way to Antarctica on a cruise and no shots were actually "required" for there either. But we are going to Kenya on a Safari next June which will require typhoid and yellow fever so as a precaution the travel clinic advised us that since we need them next year to get them now and we are protected regardless. With all the flooding in China just now never know if something might start while we are there. They also suggested getting a prescription for Cipro filled before we go and add it to our "medicine bag". For Kenya we'll also need malaria meds -- we are also thinking about doing the Amazon cruise before our Brazilian visa runs out -- so these shots will be good for that as well.

I still need to get my flu shot but not sure if it will be available before we leave.

:)Castledavies & Luv2cruise-My wife Nancy & I are on the China tour with ya'll. We are from Augusta,Ga. Would you like to get together for cocktails on cruise so that we can meet? Looking forward to meeting you & having a great trip.

Nice to hear from you! We are from Greenville SC, flying out of Charlotte. Our hotel is the Grand Hyatt. It would be fun to meet you on the cruise for cocktails.

Maria and Phil

Hi There! Staying at the Grand Hyatt also. Ralph here from Connecticut and traveling with a friend named Laishun from Southern Taiwan. He speaks Chinese so it's a definate advantage to have an interpreter along just in case one is needed. Looking forward to an enjoyable first tour with Viking.

That's a great idea. I'm from Connecticut but my traveling companion is from Taiwan so I have an advantage of a Chinese interpreter if I need one (lol). See you on Oct 30th.

Does he speak Cantonese or Mandarin? If he speaks Mandarin, you will be in good shape.

When traveling abroad (particularly to non-European countries), I always think it's a good idea to check the relevant CDC travel page (link below for China) and also, as they recommend, consult with a travel clinic on what immunizations to get. For China, apart from being up to date on routine immunizations, it looks at the very least like Hep A is a good idea. (I got this last year for Egypt, so I'm still okay, but if I hadn't, I'm pretty sure I'd be getting it for China.)

I'm going to be visiting my travel clinic soon for my annual flu shot, and will ask them for their China recommendations to see if I need anything else. (Also got typhoid vaccine last year before the Egypt trip.)

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/china.aspx

let me know what you find out

let me know what you find out

My ears must have been burning; I was just coming on to post exactly that!

We were at our travel clinic today, and here's what they told us for travel to China: be sure tetanus is up to date; also highly recommended that you have Hep A vaccination. Per the CDC recommendations, it does not appear that we'll be traveling to any areas for which we should have malaria prophylaxis, though the clinic highly recommended using an insect repellant containing 30% DEET. (For folks who have already done the Viking trip, did you use DEET?)

In addition: bring Imodium AD, and also bring along Cipro. If you get diarrhea, they told us it's best to let it run its course for 24 hours, then if you're not okay, take Imodium, and if still not okay, then start Cipro on the third day. When I said there's no way, traveling in China (squat over a hole in the ground toilets!) that I'd let diarrhea go for 24 hours with taking Imodium, they said it would be okay (though not optimum) to take Imodium the first day, just never start Cipro on the first day. (I'd never do that anyway.)

We'd gotten our initial Hep A shot last year for Egypt, so we got our 2d (and final) shot today. Good to go now for 20 years! :)

(And we got our flu shots. This year, they've combined the H1N1 in the regular flu shot, btw.)

Healthy travels to all!

the clinic highly recommended using an insect repellant containing 30% DEET. (For folks who have already done the Viking trip, did you use DEET?)

We were there in August and had the DEET with us, but never saw a mosquito and thus never put it on.

Hello from the China World Hotel in Beijing! We are on the Sept 10th Imperial Jewels tour that started in Shanghai and ends here in Beijing. There were only 162 of us on the Century Sun. It's been an amazing trip so far.

Yesterday when we left Xi'an it was in the low 90's with lots of humidity. Today in Beijing it's mid 70's and we've heard 66 for tomorrow. Perfect weather today for the Great Wall and the Square for tomorrow.

Ya'll are really going to enjoy this trip!

Cathy

Hello from the China World Hotel in Beijing! We are on the Sept 10th Imperial Jewels tour that started in Shanghai and ends here in Beijing. There were only 162 of us on the Century Sun. It's been an amazing trip so far.

Yesterday when we left Xi'an it was in the low 90's with lots of humidity. Today in Beijing it's mid 70's and we've heard 66 for tomorrow. Perfect weather today for the Great Wall and the Square for tomorrow.

Ya'll are really going to enjoy this trip!

Cathy

Thanks for checking in.

If you see this before the Great Wall, here is a tip.

You have a choice of "easy" to the right and "hard" (not really that hard) to the left. If you pick the "hard", go up the stairway to the right (towards the "easy") and then turn left at the top of the stairs. Much easier than the stairway that goes directly to the "hard".

Cathy -- there is a fun shopping mall beneath the China World complex. From the lobby, you have to go down two levels to find it and then it just meanders underground. There is even an ice skating rink. We spent our last morning down there just checking out the local shopping. The street level is all high end stores (and a Starbucks) but the real action is the next level down.

My wife asked me what ladies pack for this trip. If any of you would be so kind but to help give her some ideas. I know it's pretty casual but we often overpack. As noted earlier we are going this coming May.

Please forgive me, but since I'm not sure of your ages, We are leaving on Wedensday for Imperial Jewels with my Mom who is 70 .....we are going fairly casual, she of course in mostly nice crop pants during the day and a few nice pairs of slacks with numerous tops for a few of the evenings....The weather in Beijing is about how it is here in Ohio, and we are there last, we are in Shanghai first......

I have about 5 pairs of shorts, two pairs of nice pants and lots tops

two comfy pairs of walking shoes for both of us and a nice pair of sandles for dinner that are black that will go with ALL =)

Have a great time....5 more days for us !!!:D

Please forgive me, but since I'm not sure of your ages, We are leaving on Wedensday for Imperial Jewels with my Mom who is 70 .....we are going fairly casual, she of course in mostly nice crop pants during the day and a few nice pairs of slacks with numerous tops for a few of the evenings....The weather in Beijing is about how it is here in Ohio, and we are there last, we are in Shanghai first......

I have about 5 pairs of shorts, two pairs of nice pants and lots tops

two comfy pairs of walking shoes for both of us and a nice pair of sandles for dinner that are black that will go with ALL =)

Have a great time....5 more days for us !!!:D

Fairly casual is just right. Most people did not dress up for dinner. Crops are perfect. Remember that the weather is changing now and it will be October by the time you get home. You may want another pair of pants and less pairs of shorts. Layers are helpful.

For the record, for 17 days, I took 4 dresses with some tank tops to layer underneath. [i'm more comfortable sitting in dresses.] One (maybe two pairs) of pants. A jacket. A lightweight raincoat (which I did use). A couple of lightweight sweaters (1 cashmere in case it got cold). One pair of walking sandals, one pair of walking shoes (keds actually), a pair of flip-flops and maybe a pair of dress sandals. We packed very light (and still had plenty of clothing) and ended up having to buy another suitcase to get our shopping home. We just hadn't planned it.

Just about anything goes at dinner, but I preferred to be a little more dressy. Just tops and pants, though. No dresses or skirts at all. I wore mostly polo type tops going out during the day but on the ship I did take two t-shirts. My husband made do with a combination of t-shirts for casual and collared polo shirts for dinner. He did have one Hawaiian theme silk dress shirt that he wore for the Captain's dinner and reception.

We took two pair of walking shoes each. One pair was really old and we just left them behind. I took some canvas flat shoes for "dressy."

You can get a pretty good idea of what everyone was wearing if you view my youtube videos. Just search for gooch47 on www.youtube.com and view the China videos.

I took Keen's for my walking shoes which were perfect for uneven ground as your toes are protected, if it rains they dry very quickly,they fit either wide or narrow feet and they do not wear out. Capris or slacks work wonders while on tour. In May you may not want to wear shorts in parts of China as it may be cool.

Question about the Great Wall -- Stairs up are okay, but stairs down are hard on the knees. Then I read about the toboggan down. Does our bus stop near the section that includes that ride, and did anybody try it to get down from the top of the Wall?

Archived