First Time Celebrity Cruiser

stampingoddess

First time cruising on Celebrity. Will be sailing Infinity along the Pacific Coastline next fall. Our last several cruises have all been on various sized RC ships. Will be in an OCV mid on Deck 3.

Couple of questions

1. Is there a dedicated wine bar/wine venue on the ship?

2. How does the food in MDR compare to RC- our last couple of RC cruises the food has been just OK and service also just OK

3. Whats the average age demographics for a fall cruise. We're in our mid 50s and wonder if we'll be the "kids" (as we have been on our past several fall RC cruises) or median age

4. What kind of night life can we expect?

Thanks in advance

I've been on three Celebrity cruises. Two RC. I found the food and service comparable. If you are not going during school breaks, there are fewer children. There were no water slides, climbing wall, etc on the Silhouette, the Equinox, or the Millinneum. You will fit right in as far as demographics. We are about the same age;-). We had OV, deck three. Very convenient area, as long as you aren't too close to the Atrium. We found the shows to be mixed. One comedian great, the next a bore. Beatles cover band really fun, Broadway shows cheesy.

Celebrity used to have a wine bar with these special dispensers but I hear they were phased out. We had the drink package on our last cruise. The wines are mediocre, though we found a decent Mouvedre on the list.

I really like Celebrity and hope this information helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First time cruising on Celebrity. Will be sailing Infinity along the Pacific Coastline next fall. Our last several cruises have all been on various sized RC ships. Will be in an OCV mid on Deck 3.

Couple of questions

2. How does the food in MDR compare to RC- our last couple of RC cruises the food has been just OK and service also just OK

3. Whats the average age demographics for a fall cruise. We're in our mid 50s and wonder if we'll be the "kids" (as we have been on our past several fall RC cruises) or median age

Thanks in advance

You may be the youngsters and entertainment is the worst of any line.

Cellar Masters is the wine bar.

IMHO both food and service are better on Celebrity.

You should fit in age wise.

The entertainment is ok, not as good as Royal but also there aren't 4-6,000 passengers.

I think you will find Celebrity to be a more relaxed, adult cruise line.

We haven't done the Pacific Coast cruise but know a number of folk who have and they loved it. We did 9 RC cruises and enjoyed them all but found it was getting to be too many people, reservations needed to eat, for shows and too many kids. We will take our 14th & 15th cruise on X in Feb.

Enjoy Celebrity!

We will be on the Infinity with you on that cruise. We did the same cruise earlier this year and it was so much fun, we are repeating again next year. The Infinity is a wonderful ship with great officers and staff. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. The dedicated wine bar is called Cellar Masters on deck 5. They also offer extra cost wine seminars during the cruise. Well worth the money.

2. We find the food in the MDR to be way better than average. Also the buffet, Oceanview Cafe, on Celebrity ships is one of the best in the industry.

3. Don't worry about age demographics. The pax on Celebrity tend to be a lively group, especially on a Pacific Coastal, regardless of age. Do not miss the Silent Disco at the Martini Bar. You will see pax of all age groups mingling and having a crazy good time.

4. You can expect typical nightlife as on other cruise lines - Lounge acts, Production shows, dance parties, Movies Under The Stars on the stern deck, and more - some better than others.

Welcome Aboard!

You will need to study and highlight your daily schedule. There will be many activities. Try the ones that you like. If you like good wines try to be sure to go to the ones that are riedal or food pairing. Cellar Masters can give you details on special wine options. If you order something in the main dining room you do not like do not hesitate to request another dish. Your waiter wants you to get what you expect. We let them know upfront we expect olive oil and balsamic for our bread and not butter. You should be able to find lots of passengers you can mingle with close to your age. Terry

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by terrytallent1

The wine tastings are a worthwhile Sea Day activity, as they offer a nice range of good wines for a reasonable fee -- and they are low key enough that you can meet new friends too! I did both a "New World" and an "Old World" tasting on Eclipse in the Caribbean and learned a lot at both. They also had an auction at the end -- there was be a table with several interesting wines [way better than anything even on the Premium by-the-glass list] showing the Celebrity list price and a [much lower] starting price. Unless there's a bidding war, you may be able to snag a real bargain and pay back the cost of the event :)

If you have sailed a Radiance class ship with RCI, I think that you will find the Infinity similar in terms of layout, amenities, and entertainment.

Some differences- no rock climbing wall, mini golf. But similar solariums, lounges, and entertainment (production shows, guest singers, magicians, etc.).

In terms of food and service, we think that the food is better on Celebrity but getting closer to RCI in terms of what is offered and quality each year. The service is good but more formal on Celebrity, though we have found this changing too with staff seeming more friendly/easy going on more recent Celebrity sailings.

We prefer the theater entertainment on RCI- much more professional. But Celebrity does a good job with live music all over the ship- bands, pianists, guitar players, etc. We tend to go to these and just enjoy our drink package. :D Some lounges now have a dj (martini bar on our last cruise), which give a younger vibe. But things will start to shut down around midnight.....In the day, there is the usual trivia etc. and at night, game shows.

Celebrity's demographics are certainly getting younger. While you will find few children or 20-somethings, there are a lot more people in their 30's and 40's.

We did a Pacific Coast/Alaska cruise on RCI and loved it!

I think that, unless you are used to sailing the new, big ships, you will find more similarities than differences. I say try one and see which you prefer- your RCI status will get you a reciprocal status on Celebrity.

Cheers,

Tracey

I have not sailed on Infinity, but...

1. The MDR has an excellent wine list and you can purchase a specific wine package. The Classic beverage package that comes with most bookings gives you only one choice of each type in the MDR. You might think about upgrading.

2. We found Celebrity's MDR food FAR superior to RC...some complain about small portions but they will bring an extra side or you can order a second entree.

3. Based on our experience (we are mid 40s) you are right in the middle of the average demographic. There are a few newlyweds, a few 30somethings, mostly 40s-50s-60s, then fewer blue hairs and elderly. Typically, the more port-intensive the trip, the younger the passengers.

4. It varies based on the cruise...you may have to go hunting for night life after 11pm, but there always seems to be one bar that has a crowd until 1am. There's usually more nightlife the night before a sea day when people can sleep in.

We love Celebrity. You are not too young to enjoy a calm, quiet, casual, cruise with excellent food and drink. Cheers!