Communicating with Kids OnBoard

nikki&nick

Hi all! We are traveling for the first time with our kids – ages 10, 13, and 17. Does Royal Caribbean offer any way besides the Internet to communicate on board? How about the kids club? If my 10-year-old or 13-year-old participates is there a way for them to reach us if need be? Anyone ever heard of or used Ripple on RC?? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ripple does not work on RCCL because RCCL will not connect you to anything (even on the local LAN) if you do not have an account.

Your options are:

1. Get internet for each device, and use text messaging on your phone in airplane mode.

2. Leave notes in the cabin

You can purchase a 5 device plan for all your devices which will keep you connected.

But try and figure out if you really need to be that connected. I have traveled with my kids on various cruises, and we never had cell phones. They did what they want with the understanding that we would meet at a specific place at a specific time. Sometimes just letting them be alone for a few hours is the best thing. If anything happens there is always someone who can help them.

Edited by reedl

It's a small ship - they are either in the kids' club or they physically find you (you, of course, will let them know where you will be) and let you know where they are going next. They - and you - can also leave post-it notes and/or phone messages. I think hourly check-ins would be reasonable.

We have had very poor luck with walkie-talkies. Could not communicate at all once we were separated by a few decks.

You must buy at least the 5 mile type. They are powerful enough to even work on Oasis Class ships. Have used them for a family of 18.

Courtesy Rules for Walkie-Talkies:

1) Don't scream into them.

2) Do not use on elevators.

3) Tell the kids they are not a toy and are to be used for important communications ONLY.

4) Use in vibrate mode ONLY.

5) Turn off the chirp.

6) Get and use ones with codes.

When the kids go to the club, tell them where YOU'LL be, and have them come find you when they leave the club, and they can tell you their next plans...repeat as needed! You really don't need anything but talking to "communicate"...You will see them for meals, and you can go over the plans for the next couple hours. it's not as hard as you are thinking it is!

Edited by cb at sea