NCL Newbie - NCL & Sky Questions - Advice?

wendycook22

We have cruised four times in the past few years, once with Carnival, 3 times with Celebrity. We came across the January 30 sailed on NCL Sky as a great way to squeeze in a low budget vacation in January.

Questions:

1. I am use to the coffee shop on Celebrity. Where is the best place to find free coffee in the mornings as I know the Sky's coffee shop is not included in the open bar package. I prefer to get Baileys added to it as well (I understand I may have to get a shot separate from a bar)

2. Boarding: Are we free to board anytime or does NCL, designated a boarding time. We will already be in Miami for a couple days and would like to board the ship as early as we can.

3. Is there usually a wait time to get your cabin? We have been lucky and had immediate access in all our past cruises. Just wondering what the norm is for NCL.

4. MDR Dinning - There will be two of us (open to sitting with others) how are the wait times?

5. Elegant evenings? Does NCL Sky have elegant evenings? What is the dress/attire like in the MDR on a regular evening, and elegant/formal evenings (if they have them).

6. Does NCL provide you with a disembarking class/time to follow?

7. Any tips that a newcomer to NCL may not be aware of?

8. Any tips recommendations for us during our stay on the Sky?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting away!

We have cruised four times in the past few years, once with Carnival, 3 times with Celebrity. We came across the January 30 sailed on NCL Sky as a great way to squeeze in a low budget vacation in January.

Questions:

1. I am use to the coffee shop on Celebrity. Where is the best place to find free coffee in the mornings as I know the Sky's coffee shop is not included in the open bar package. I prefer to get Baileys added to it as well (I understand I may have to get a shot separate from a bar)

Free coffee from morning room service or in the buffet from the self serve machines. Look for the WMF machine it makes better coffee. Some bars might actually have coffee. I believe the SKY has the open bar amenity so you CAN get a Baliey's & Coffee from certain bars.

2. Boarding: Are we free to board anytime or does NCL, designated a boarding time. We will already be in Miami for a couple days and would like to board the ship as early as we can.

At the moment NCL isn't enforcing boarding times, but this may vary. Check in usually begins about 10 am and actually boarding about 11:30 am.

3. Is there usually a wait time to get your cabin? We have been lucky and had immediate access in all our past cruises. Just wondering what the norm is for NCL.

Cabins are usually ready about 1:30 pm. Unless you are in a suite, one of the lounges will check your carry on bags for you until the rooms are ready.

4. MDR Dinning - There will be two of us (open to sitting with others) how are the wait times?

Usually not too long, that however depends on if you dine at 7 pm, you might have a 15 minute wait. Sharing is really rare, but just let the hostess know you would like to share a table and they can ask others their preference.

5. Elegant evenings? Does NCL Sky have elegant evenings? What is the dress/attire like in the MDR on a regular evening, and elegant/formal evenings (if they have them).

Well......very casual every evening, the dressiest you need to be is trousers for men (and then only in the aft dining room and Le Bistro)shorts are acceptable every where. There will be a Norwegians Night Out but you won't see any ties and sports coats that night.

YOU get to choose your disembarkation time or do "easy walk off" carrying all your luggage yourself.

Have fun!!

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Have fun!!

Thank you so very much!

This has been VERY helpful. Now I can tell hubby to keep the ties and jackets at home. I am very use to the Celebrity which I believe can be much more formal. I have heard NCL tends to be more relaxed, and thought perhaps my cocktail dresses, and the hubby's suit may be a little too over the top. As much as we enjoy dressing up it will be nice to enjoy a more relaxed vacation, and leave the heavy weighted clothes at home!

Thank you so very much!

This has been VERY helpful. Now I can tell hubby to keep the ties and jackets at home. I am very use to the Celebrity which I believe can be much more formal. I have heard NCL tends to be more relaxed, and thought perhaps my cocktail dresses, and the hubby's suit may be a little too over the top. As much as we enjoy dressing up it will be nice to enjoy a more relaxed vacation, and leave the heavy weighted clothes at home!

Yep! NCL isn't formal at all. Freestyle dining is one of my favourite things about NCL. I would answer your questions but the person above has got it all spot on...

You're still free to dress up if you like but I love the freedom of freestyle dining. If you fancy getting excited about your cruise I've written a post about my favourite things about cruising with NCL here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/10/08/my-favourite-10-things-about-cruising-with-ncl/

May be worth a read so you can get excited and maybe learn something about NCL. Have a brilliant time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed with Celebrity for our past 7 cruises and sailed the Sky this past October. It is definitely more casual. Sky staterooms are much smaller and would say the calibre of food on NCL is not as good as Celebrity. We enjoyed the cruise and the relaxed atmosphere but if I had to choose between the two hands down I would choose Celebrity. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The atrium coffee bar is also a regular bar where you can get Baileys added

General boarding will start between 11:15 and 11:30. If you show up early, you will be given a boarding group number (in the order you arrive). We normally show up around 10:15-10:30 giving us time to get through security and check-in prior to the start of general boarding. If you get there later in the morning, you can walk right on board.

NCL requests that you do not go to your stateroom until they invite you (via public announcement). This is usually 1:00-1:30. If you are bringing your own luggage onboard, they usually have a bag check setup in Captain Cooks. Otherwise, just bring them along with you.

There is normally only a short wait for the MDRs. Crossings is slightly more "Formal" than Palace.

No formal nights on the Sky. Shorts and collared shirts are allowed in all dining rooms. You will see a mix of casual attire and people dressed for dinner (like you would to go to a club at night).

If you are carrying your own luggage off the ship, Easy Walkoff will start around 7:30 am. You can depart any time after that. If you are having the porters take your luggage off the ship, you can pick-up colored luggage tags according to what time you want to leave (it is not assigned).

The Sky is a fun ship! We sail on her at least once a year. It is casual, fun environment.

When you go to Great Stirrup Cay, consider getting a clam shell for $30. The island has very little shade and the sun can be brutal.

Have a great cruise!

On our 3-day cruise in September, the cabins were available at 1:30. If you want, you can drop off your carry-on luggage at Captain Cook's Lounge when you board the ship so you don't have to lug it around.

We didn't have to wait for a table any night in the MDRs. And definitely leave the formal wear at home. Men don't have to wear long pants in any dining room on Sky (not even the specialty ones). :)

I posted the Freestyle Dailies here: http://susancrow.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html If you scroll to the end, it has all the debarkation information.