local type cool bar

151swizzle

Will be in SJ 3pm til 11pm, on a Tuesday. I'd like to go to one or two cool bars after seeing El Morro. I like rum and also beer. Big rum collection would be great. Not looking for any place tooooo fancy and not a restaurant. Local type place preferred over touristy if not too far away.

Recommended from another thread, check out Carli's

http://www.carlisworld.com/restaurant/.

Barrachina's is also a good place.

On Cristo Street, you'll find El Batey... a real grunge bar, just like in college, and Bodega Chic, which has good food too.

Most of the beer you'll find is Medalla. but look or ask around for Old Harbor (brewery/taproomis in OSJ), Magna Special Craft, or Buye. And believe it or not Keystone V9 is a different brew than the Keystone you can pick up at the local gas station/mini mart.

Will be in SJ 3pm til 11pm, on a Tuesday. I'd like to go to one or two cool bars after seeing El Morro. I like rum and also beer. Big rum collection would be great. Not looking for any place tooooo fancy and not a restaurant. Local type place preferred over touristy if not too far away.

As said before.

The Mezanine has the vibe you want, with a good Rum Cabinet and a $4.00 happy hour from 4 to 8 pm

In the middle of OSJ. Great Tappas.

http://www.solycruz.com/themezzaninepr

Edited by PORT ROYAL

It is too ar to walk from the ship or forts to Caribe Hilton. Take a taxi.

Parrot CClub id losderd with locals as werll as tyourists. All mixed and all enjoying. Same for B arrachina. Neither is 'fancy'.

Edited by sail7seas

I think I would go with Port Royal's suggestion of The Mezzanine if you want some good quality sipping rums. We had a conversation here last Spring about rums (I like a good sip once in awhile) and he impressed me with his knowledge and his own personal rum library. I didn't get the time to go there unfortunately, so I have a place to go back to. But, I was lucky enough to eat out at Molasses in Rio Grande a few times and have the assistance of their excellent barwoman who turned me on to quite a few quality rums.

The Parrot Club may not have the selection of sipping rums and is really more tourist than local. I do love the place, though.

There's been a long debate as to where the Piña Colada was born. One story says Caribe Hilton, another Barrachina. The Hilton is a 30 minute or so walk depending on your conditioning. Go to Barrachina for the Colada. There are a lot of local, hole-in-the-wall places to drink and eat all over San Juan. But you'll have better luck on Cristo street (almost at the top of the hill) and on San Sebastian St. which intersects with Cristo St.

Try Greengos. Great place, good food and great margarita's and a huge tequila list. One of our favorite places to go last March.

The OP asked for a place with a good rum library, not tequila. And something more of a local's place. With a name like Greengos, I'm a little wary of that ;) It's a small chain - the other one is on St. Thomas.

The OP asked for a place with a good rum library, not tequila. And something more of a local's place. With a name like Greengos, I'm a little wary of that ;) It's a small chain - the other one is on St. Thomas.

It still has a small local atmosphere. It's a bar so I'm sure they also have rum. Just because there is one other location doesn't mean it's a "chain". By no way is it a senior frogs or anything like that. If you've not been there you have no idea. Just giving another option from someone who's been to OSJ & enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums