Carnival Magic Thanksgiving cruise review - luggage disaster with an ok end

jat1977

I think I may know you... Great recap! Too bad the cruise wasn't everything you hoped it would be. Every time we ran into you guys it looked like you were having a helluva time! Hope our paths cross again some day. Until then, safe travels!

Now that I see your Avatar, yes we know you! We sat next to you at the Chef's Table. :D

I can remember reading about the soggy luggage issue on this board a few times over the years. Sorry this happened to you. I'm glad to hear Carnival tried to compensate you, but I find it disheartening they didn't even try to notify you. There's no excuse for that. My large Samsonite suitcase was severely ripped by the airline coming home from my cruise this month. I just received a new one in the mail yesterday, taking advantage of a good sale at eBags with no shipping charge nor sales tax. I'm pleased with the quality of my new suitcase (link below if you're interested) although I know it's just a matter of time until the airline tears this one up too. That seems to happen to me every 3 years or so.

Congratulations on your anniversary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1447392

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2160654

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=747163

http://www.ebags.com/product/it-luggage/amsterdam-iii-8-wheel-313-inch-spinner/322827

Thanks!

Howdy! We are still battling it out with Carnival over our Horrific experience.

Glad it all went well for you guys.

WE will NEVER cruise again. I actually had never wanted to cruise. We have friends that cruise all the time. I was so excited to try it once they talked us into it. What a bummer it had to be the way it was. I am just not willing to take a chance again. It was just not that much fun. I can't imagine even giving another cruise line a try.

I am glad my son is naive. He loved it. But, he adapts so easily to everything. We met a bartender that was so nice to him and made him special smoothies. Anthony at the Red Frog Pub Bar on the Lido. He and Ronald were are saving graces along with the Alchemy Bartenders. So nice and courteous.

Safe travels to you guys whenever you cruise again!

WE will NEVER cruise again. I actually had never wanted to cruise. We have friends that cruise all the time. I was so excited to try it once they talked us into it. What a bummer it had to be the way it was. I am just not willing to take a chance again. It was just not that much fun. I can't imagine even giving another cruise line a try.

This is probably the best decision you could make given how you feel. Those of us that cruise regularly certainly would hate to HAVE to cruise with someone that feels this strongly about the "horrific" experience you had. Thank you for thinking about the rest of us and not putting us through that, it is greatly appreciated (there are plenty of whiners/complainers already out there so you are covered!).

I hope you find the vacation that makes you happy and good luck to you!

I am glad my son is naive. He loved it. But, he adapts so easily to everything. We met a bartender that was so nice to him and made him special smoothies. Anthony at the Red Frog Pub Bar on the Lido. He and Ronald were are saving graces along with the Alchemy Bartenders. So nice and courteous.

Welcome to Cruise Critic after being invited to share your story - as vague as it was.

It's probably best you seek alternative forms of vacation since you didn't want to experience cruising in the first place and didn't enjoy it (compounded by what I assume was a situation similar to the original poster).

Safe travels to you as well and here's to the hope you never have another unexpected travel-related mishap that would cross another form of vacation off your list of options.

So you never got your checked bags? Dang, I can see how that could easily ruin a cruise experience. It would for us. You are paying $1000's with the expectaions that the cruise line will deliver on what they are promoting.

Not sure it would keep us from ever cruising again, but I can't be sure since it's never happened to us. Is it possible for you to imagine how you would have liked it if you had all of your clothing and items as expected?

Not getting your luggage has to be extremely rare. Sorry you had to experience it.

And to everyone else, lighten up. Sheesh.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

This is what I shared with CC on their FB page in a PM: I originally posted this on Carnival's website.

I'm going to share this again because of a woman that either works for Carnival or has nothing better to do but be incredibly cruel. I take what happened to my family very seriously and Carnival needs to know and make changes and the public needs to know.

We returned on November 25, 2016 from a cruise from Hell on Carnival Magic.

Please note that we tried to use the 24 hour Guarantee and the Guest Services manager told us we could not due to Logistics. I don't understand that at all. We were denied access to a phone or to internet until I had to get angry and demand internet. They gave it to us for one evening. Then finally after I got a hold of Carnival comped us internet the rest of the cruise.

First and Last cruise! Just got off the Magic this morning. Look what was waiting for us. Our luggage that went on the Valor. We are tired! Our feet hurt and if it wasn't for the outstanding gift shop employees who do not Work for Carnival I don't know what we would have done. They went way beyond what Carnival did for us. NO socks, no shoes, no underwear. No clothes. The amenities kit Carnival gave us didn't even have tooth paste in it. $7 for toothpaste. Carnival comped our Cruise fee only. No taxes, port fees. No let us give you another cruise on us to make it right so you can see how wonderful we are! I'd rather just have a total refund! I would not want to cruise with them again. We wasted so much time in survival mode trying to find clothes and essentials. We love to camp but this was like camping in Hell. I'll make sure this story is told over and over. The kicker having the Carnival Reps at Cape Canaveral tell us that luggage ends up on wrong ships All the time. The Magic told us this Never happens! They dropped 8-12 bags in the ocean too. I think Carnival needs to address the people who work at the port. It makes them bad on top of having nothing to help guests in need. I think Tom Hanks character did better taking care of Wilson. Food was subpar at best. We did pay it forward to the Guest shop employees and one exceptional waiter and bar tender. Ringgo and Anthony! And our tour guide in the DR at Amber Cove. He's got a pair of Columbia water shoes on the way to him. So glad to be in our car and headed home. Blessed to have at the least a few people make us laugh and care. Too bad it was not more Carnival employees.

P.S. I noticed a guest mentioned mold on her cruise. We noticed mold on the ceiling of our shower in our cabin. But, honestly it was the least of our worries. Having no under garments, socks, toiletries, medications, etc was more of our concern. We went into survival mode. I was lucky to take important meds with me on my carry on bag. However, other daily meds I did not have.

We were treated rudely from the start, given outdated toiletries and Carnival white T-shirts with insulting words on them. "I have a PhD in FUN" how the hell was this fun!? Lied to and then apologized to. Then rushed to get off the ship and close out our account.

I'll make sure I keep telling our story over and over! I doubt the Captain ever knew or cared. I was told due to logistics they could not get us off the ship. Was that true? Very scary! We will Never or could ever recommend Carnival to anyone. I'll personally never cruise again. We are still trying to recover from the trip. We are more exhausted now then when we left for the so called "Fun Ship!"

Also: I did have a few things packed with me of importance. I had a change of clothing. The boys did not. I had my meds and my sons meds. We are not morons. We really didn't think it would be a big deal and would not get our bags. WE asked the people at the Port if we had the correct terminal. WE were told YES! There was no shopping for personal undergarments on board or in the ports we went to. WE missed Grand Turk and spent and extra day at sea. I guess I could have been an ass and bought a bunch of high end stuff in Nassau from the Atlantis. The cruise was about to end. Why would I do that. We made it that far and would be with our bags the next day.

THUS why I posted all this and am NOT interested in a cruise again. Apparently, CC thought it was a good idea to post it for people to know what happened to us. I guess lesson learned is to carry your baggage on. However, So many people on these boards including Carnivals are so mean spirited. I would NOT want to be around such people so I am glad I know what I am dealing with.

Your insurance should reimburse you for all your luggage and contents. Oh, you didn't buy travel insurance? Oh well, I'd be pisssed to just not sure at whom.

WE bought insurance. We got our luggage back but not until the cruise was over.

Most travel insurance policies cover the incidentals you incur while without your luggage, that was the point the poster was making.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jimbo5544