NCL Cruise Booking Strategy

VtMac

We are fairly new to cruising (one done, one booked) I always read about upsells, upgrades, etc and I see today our cabins are in fact cheaper now then they were the day we booked and considered, for a moment, re-booking as we are inside our final payment. We are planners and like to have all things buttoned up and paid for before we set foot on vacation. We have also only had inside cabins as budget is important to us. I am not really stressing over having a balcony or suite but if I could get it for what we are willing to pay for an ocean view, inside etc (or close to it) I would, obviously. Is it risky to wait until 45 days out when cabin prices drop? Do they on occasion go way up at that point? What is a solid budget minded strategy for booking? As I said, for both of our cruises we were paid in full long before we needed to be, I don't even know if that is a good idea. Just looking for thoughts...

We just completed our second cruise with NCL in September with a balcony room booked. About a week before, I saw a mini suite room for the price of what I paid. It took several calls before agreeing, but for $200 more, I got us a mini suite with the large balcony and the ultimate beverage package. It ended up being the best decision I made for that vacation.

I tend to book well in advance and watch the prices daily (bit of an obsession, actually). I have been able to take advantage of price drops. In fact, our 12/2017 cruise dropped by $600 about a month after we booked.

We generally get interior rooms as we prefer to save our money for the excursions and fun. We did upsell to a balacony once (on CCL). Our interior price dropped $400, and they offered us a balacony for $400... seemed like a good upsell.... getting the balcony for our original interior price.

We are also booked in one suite, but that is only because the deal was ridiculously good... like crazy good.. for 3 people, our cost was $2800 for a seven day cruise, and that is with four freebie perks (free drinks, meals, internet, and gratuities). We would never even consider a suite had it not been so good.

Outside of that, we are perfectly fine in an interior room. It is all about the great price for us. That way we can take more vacations!

My advice would be to watch the price frequently (maybe you already are), and if you see a change, call your TA or NCL. It doesn't cost anything to ask for a price reduction or upgrade.

Book as far out as possible, and use a reputable travel agent who will offer you room credit in addition to what ever NCL is offering.

1. A good agency will have blocked out rooms that offer perks (room credit) as well as group pricing (which, if the group pricing is higher then the market pricing, you will get market pricing and then slid into the group to get the ammenity room credit.)

2. best selection of rooms

3. prices go up, you are protected. prices go down, you can call your agent and request a rebooking.

4. if within your final payment window, depends on the cruise line policy and will possibly get an upgrade out of it.

It just depends on your risk tolerance and how much you want to take this particular cruise. I've done 3 cruises and have 2 more booked and never had one drop in price past final payment. In fact many sell out of a particular room category before final payment. Also, since I have to request vacation time off well in advance and fly to ports, the risk of waiting and hoping for a price drop isn't worth it to me. I try and book the room I want at a price I can live w, monitor the price till final payment and get any drops I can, then stop monitoring after final payment and let it be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...