Communication on the ship

BeverlyS

While I would love to turn my phone completely off for our cruise, our daughter is expecting her first baby, so we will be checking our phones occasionally while on our cruise. That being said, can you use your phone to text other guests while on the cruise? So if hubby goes one direction and I go another, how is the best way to reach him without incurring tons of charges? Any apps or suggestions?

If you are asking about communication on a Carnival cruise, I suggest you also ask this question in the dedicated Carnival forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

There will likely be more folks on that forum with direct experience with communication options on Carnival.

Some ports have wifi available where you could logon and check the status of the baby. On board, since texting requires an internet connection to work, you would have to purchase some package from the cruise line in order to do that. But, if you purchase the internet package, you should be able to text as well.

Some ports have wifi available where you could logon and check the status of the baby. On board, since texting requires an internet connection to work, you would have to purchase some package from the cruise line in order to do that. But, if you purchase the internet package, you should be able to text as well.

Texting doesn't require an internet connection, just a cellular phone connection. You can (and should) turn data roaming off and still use your phone to send and receive text messages via the ship's cellular "tower." Typically receiving texts is free (or comes out of your allocated "bucket") and sending costs 50 cents.

Edited by Underwatr

On board, it really isn't that difficult. On our last cruise, we would leave a running note on the door (or in the cabin). My hubby may write down he finished with his workout in the gym and is heading to -----, my teenager would note down that her friends are heading back to the pool to watch a movie and will meet up with us for dinner, I would add I'm going to the hula class or to the buffet for lunch. It really did work.

I think most ships also have courtesy phones in the public areas that you can use to call a cabin and leave a message. You just can't retrieve messages until you get back to your cabin.

We turned our phones off until we got to the ports (we had four sea days before then).

On board' date=' it really isn't that difficult. On our last cruise, we would leave a running note on the door (or in the cabin). My hubby may write down he finished with his workout in the gym and is heading to -----, my teenager would note down that her friends are heading back to the pool to watch a movie and will meet up with us for dinner, I would add I'm going to the hula class or to the buffet for lunch. It really did work.

I think most ships also have courtesy phones in the public areas that you can use to call a cabin and leave a message. You just can't retrieve messages until you get back to your cabin.

We turned our phones off until we got to the ports (we had four sea days before then).[/quote']

Not what they're talking about, they want to get a message from home when buns is born, helps to read the OP at least, not just the title.

As long as your data is turned off you will only be charged for texts and if you make a call or answer a call. Maybe do that and let you daughter know to only call if it is about the baby so you know to answer or just have them text you if you don't want to pay the rates for a phone call.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Texting doesn't require an internet connection, just a cellular phone connection. You can (and should) turn data roaming off and still use your phone to send and receive text messages via the ship's cellular "tower." Typically receiving texts is free (or comes out of your allocated "bucket") and sending costs 50 cents.

You're assuming that connecting to a ship's cellular service is free. This is not true for all cruise lines.

Not what they're talking about, they want to get a message from home when buns is born, helps to read the OP at least, not just the title.

How rude. Did YOU even read the OP's post? Evidently not, or you would have seen where they mentioned about texting other people on board, or keeping in touch with her husband. Stay down under, the land of blunder......

You're assuming that connecting to a ship's cellular service is free. This is not true for all cruise lines.

I've never seen a ship-imposed fee merely for connecting to the cellular network, but tell me more. In my experience cellular roaming fees will be charged by your carrier (the ship has no idea which phone is yours) and are disclosed on the carrier's website with other international roaming charges.

I've never seen a ship-imposed fee merely for connecting to the cellular network, but tell me more. In my experience cellular roaming fees will be charged by your carrier (the ship has no idea which phone is yours) and are disclosed on the carrier's website with other international roaming charges.

Next time you're on a ship at sea, check the name of the cellular provider at the top of your phone. On some lines, it may be your provider's maritime connection or it may be the ship's contracted provider (e.g., Connect At Sea). If your connection is with your own provider, roaming charges may apply and texts may or may not be free - depending on your permitted and/or purchased international services. However, if you have to connect to whatever proprietary cell service the ship employs via satellite, there may be a fee for that cell access not unlike a data plan on the ship. Connect@Sea is the perfect example. Here's a CC article than discusses the differences among cruise lines. Notice that some do charge fees for voice/text connectivity as well as internet data.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=45

Next time you're on a ship at sea, check the name of the cellular provider at the top of your phone. On some lines, it may be your provider's maritime connection or it may be the ship's contracted provider (e.g., Connect At Sea). If your connection is with your own provider, roaming charges may apply and texts may or may not be free - depending on your permitted and/or purchased international services. However, if you have to connect to whatever proprietary cell service the ship employs via satellite, there may be a fee for that cell access not unlike a data plan on the ship. Connect@Sea is the perfect example. Here's a CC article than discusses the differences among cruise lines. Notice that some do charge fees for voice/text connectivity as well as internet data.

BTW, if travel-by-sea (or to exotic yet desolate far corners of the world) is going to occupy a lot of your time, consider buying a satellite phone.

Notice that some do charge fees for voice/text connectivity as well as internet data.

Thanks for the link. None of the data in that article indicates a fee simply to connect to the onboard cellular network, although usage is charged (by your carrier as a roaming charge).

I'm very familiar with the options, particularly as my cellular carrier T-Mobile has a very high roaming fee to connect to a ship's cellular network ($6 per minute). It's much cheaper for me to wait until I'm close to land, as terrestrial interntional roaming charges are usually 20 cents per minute and roaming data is free.

Thanks for the link. None of the data in that article indicates a fee simply to connect to the onboard cellular network, although usage is charged (by your carrier as a roaming charge).

I'm very familiar with the options, particularly as my cellular carrier T-Mobile has a very high roaming fee to connect to a ship's cellular network ($6 per minute). It's much cheaper for me to wait until I'm close to land, as terrestrial interntional roaming charges are usually 20 cents per minute and roaming data is free.

You need to reread the article. For example, scroll down to Oceania. Onboard folks can connect by voice with other Connect@Sea passengers on the ship at no EXTRA cost by using the FREE Connect@Sea app. However, they still need to PURCHASE the "gateway" access to the Connect@Sea service. That's the bad news (on this and on some other lines that CHARGE A FEE FOR ONBOARD CELLULAR ACCESS). Of course, as usual, there's good news from lines like Oceania, which provides unlimited wifi for one account per cabin.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

You need to reread the article. For example, scroll down to Oceania. Onboard folks can connect by voice with other Connect@Sea passengers on the ship at no EXTRA cost by using the FREE Connect@Sea app. However, they still need to PURCHASE the "gateway" access to the Connect@Sea service. That's the bad news (on this and on some other lines that CHARGE A FEE FOR ONBOARD CELLULAR ACCESS). Of course, as usual, there's good news from lines like Oceania, which provides unlimited wifi for one account per cabin.

Ok, those are WiFi/Internet services, served via their app. They don't appear to have a shipboard cellular network.

Similarly NCL has an app that provides VOIP calling for a fee. But I still don't see any lines listed that charge a fee to connect to their cellular network.

Ok, those are WiFi/Internet services, served via their app. They don't appear to have a shipboard cellular network.

Similarly NCL has an app that provides VOIP calling for a fee. But I still don't see any lines listed that charge a fee to connect to their cellular network.

Sorry - but you are still unclear on the concept. Scroll down to the last line at this connect@sea link http://www.connectatsea.com/passengers/

There are two components to Connect@Sea: Data and Cellular "voice" (which is why the website instruction says "turn off your wifi" to make a Connect@Sea call). On those lines that offer it, you can choose to purchase one and/or both services. On Oceania, as aforementioned, one account of basic unlimited internet wifi (not associated with Connect@Sea) is free (though streaming is throttled/prohibited) and you can connect for CELLULAR service by buying access from Oceania or via AT&T, which has a Connect@Sea package.

Depending on who you buy the cellular access from, while roaming on the cruise ship, your device will display one of the following: AT&T, 901-18, Cellular at Sea, or NOR-18. (remember that you've turned your wifi off to then make the voice call on one of those networks). Conversely, if you turn off cellular service or put your phone in airplane mode, you will still be able to turn on your wifi and use the ship's data plans (free or purchased) for use within allowed internet parameters.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Text messages use a cellular connection typically. iMessage on the iPhone and Android's messaging service use a data connection.

Now the wrinkle is the newer iPhones, and newer Android phones that support cellular WiFi. You can use the phone (even make voice calls) with only a data connection and no cellular connection.

But for the OP, the best thing is to leave the phone on, disable data roaming, and you will get texts without issue. Even iMessage will 'fall back' to a text message if the iMessage fails.

How rude. Did YOU even read the OP's post? Evidently not, or you would have seen where they mentioned about texting other people on board, or keeping in touch with her husband. Stay down under, the land of blunder......

But her or his primary concern is finding out about the birth of the baby, but too hard for some to understand. And I doubt she wants to let him know that via a note on the door but would want to let him know immediately that she gets word.

And I'll go where I want, which is probably anywhere rude people like you aren't.

Edited by GUT2407

Did you read the end of the OP where she asks "if hubby goes one direction ..."

She IS asking about keeping in touch with her shipbpard hubby, as well as her ashore daughter, and also other guests on the ship.

As you say, helps to read the OP, ....

Edited by NMLady

While I would love to turn my phone completely off for our cruise, our daughter is expecting her first baby, so we will be checking our phones occasionally while on our cruise. That being said, can you use your phone to text other guests while on the cruise? So if hubby goes one direction and I go another, how is the best way to reach him without incurring tons of charges? Any apps or suggestions?

Helps to read the whole post....she also asked about how to track her hubby while on board.