When did they change smoking rules for the Jewel class ships?

CTCruisers

We really like the Jewel class ships and our favorite area is the bar area on deck 13 overlooking the pool deck below. We like to listen to the poolside bands play, watch the waves go by, and people watch while sitting under the shade of the overhang.

On our most recent cruise on the Norwegian Gem, we headed up to the Bali Hai bar and went to sit in the starboard side of the bar as that was always the non-smoking area. But, every table had ash trays and everyone was smoking.

I asked a waiter about it and he confirmed that the rule was changed allowing smokers to be able to smoke on both sides of the deck area. He then gave us a very snobby "Sorry" as he walked away.

This was very disappointing for us. My wife cannot be around smoke for health reasons.

We tried to sit there on a sea day while it was breezy, but our clothes still reeked of smoke and we needed to take a shower before having dinner.

When did they change the rule?

Is it the case on other Jewel class ships as well as the Star and Dawn?

Smokers have every right to do so, but I thought it was a good compromise to allow one side of the ship to be smoke free.

Come on folks there are other places to sit and enjoy the views, let the smokers have one comfortable place to enjoy their habit.

I am not a smoker and would not visit that area. The ship is big enough for all of us.

IOW one place to kill themselves and take others with them. :eek:

On Jade Transatlantic this year, at Bali Hai (?) one side was totally non smoking and one smoking.

My grievance is I haven't smoked for five years - but enjoy a zero nicotine minty (vegan veg oil) vaper with a drink. Harmless and odourless and in order to enjoy it - I need to sit in a smoking area -

Choked to pieces - so just quietly used it at a side table in the wind if the one table to the far right was available. Def couldn't sit in the under cover area - horrendous...

We need a vapour only area now - LOTS of people vaping - LOTS!

Just seems so unfair to stick people who have quit smoking with the only option of vaping in a smoking area. It would be nice to have one small outdoor area with tables, where one can use an ecig/vapourizer but with no smoking.

Fortunately I don't NEED it - I just enjoy it - especially with a drink -

The stench of pipe, cigars and cigarettes - eyurk - cannot believe I ever smoked :eek:

The weather wasn't great some days, and sitting at the covered over area in Bali Hai bar was just too painful. My nostrils hurt so bad in minutes - didn't stay ...

It astounds me how many people still cough, wheeze, struggle around on wheelchairs and sticks - and chain smoke all day long. I do miss the craic of smokers - but hey - its a dying habit...

Would love to see vapour friendly areas... who knows maybe one day....

We were on the Dawn recently and it's the same way. I figured it was the highest point on the ship and why they allowed it. I wanted to sit up there and had to leave.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Dawn in October and didn't notice any smokers on the starboard side of the pool, just the port side. I am not sure about the area at the Bimini, maybe that whole area is smoking?

Come on folks there are other places to sit and enjoy the views, let the smokers have one comfortable place to enjoy their habit.

I am not a smoker and would not visit that area. The ship is big enough for all of us.

But there isn't. That area is the only one on deck 13 that gives shade and has regular chairs. It is not comfortable for my wife to sit in a lounge chair.

I just think that it isn't fair to have smokers monopolize that one area that is different from any other.

Why can't we share as it has been in the past?

Edited by CTCruisers

But there isn't. That area is the only one on deck 13 that gives shade and has regular chairs. It is not comfortable for my wife to sit in a lounge chair.

I just think that it isn't fair to have smokers monopolize that one area that is different from any other.

1) because you will have almost just as many people complaining about the smoke if it were only half of the area.

2) non smokers have almost all of the rest of the ship. I don't find it unreasonable that this area is for smokers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would check what is actually written in the dailies for the ship you are on. Smoking areas are listed in the dailies. If smoking is going on (Gawd - hark at me the reformed non smoker :o ) - in areas which are NOT listed as being a smoking area - then a quick call to guest services will alert them to the fact. Chances are staff don't like to say to guests its a non smoking side - and it is just "let go". Even back in the old days, it was always one side smoking, one non -

I did have one incident whilst sitting up at Bali Hai bar - I was on the very outside table near the railing as far to the side of the railing in the smoking area (to the outside) as possible - enjoying my book - having a lovely glass of wine - and actually at this particular point wasn't even vaping. Along came four very loud people - they ranted and ranted loudly about the filthy cigarettes, disgusting smokers and proceeded to come to my table and THUMP down the dirty ashtray from their table on MY table -

My husband looked at me - but wasn't quick enough - I was already off my chair with said ashtray and THUMPED It back down at her saying "I DONT NEED IT EITHER THANK YOU!"....

I was then subject to sarcastic "wooohs" - from them -

No wonder smokers get their back up when non smokers come into their areas and are verbally abusive.

I kind of still sit on the fence - for sure I never condemn a smoker - its their body their choice and as long as they are in a smoking area - I live with it

I would prefer an area to vape which wasn't smoking - but hey ho - cant have it all.

I confess - smokers are fun people - they enjoy a blether and a drink and there is a unity amongst them in "smokers corner" -

I just feel my nostrils sore now when I sit amongst smoke - and the smell is rotten - the people though - kind, full of laughter and interesting craic - and no doubt they wish deep down that they didn't smoke.

BUT - if truth be known - of the people we met - the craic we enjoyed, the laughter we encountered - there were in fact a lot of smokers...

My body might be smoke free - but a wee piece of my heart remains in smokers corner ;)

Jeez, lighten up...have some empathy...the non-smokers have 99% of the ship! It's an open-air venue for heaven's sake...the smoke certainly just doesn't "sit there". I don't believe for one second that clothes "reeked"...absolute nonsense.

Edited by cv322

I did have one incident whilst sitting up at Bali Hai bar - I was on the very outside table near the railing as far to the side of the railing in the smoking area (to the outside) as possible - enjoying my book - having a lovely glass of wine - and actually at this particular point wasn't even vaping. Along came four very loud people - they ranted and ranted loudly about the filthy cigarettes, disgusting smokers and proceeded to come to my table and THUMP down the dirty ashtray from their table on MY table -

My husband looked at me - but wasn't quick enough - I was already off my chair with said ashtray and THUMPED It back down at her saying "I DONT NEED IT EITHER THANK YOU!"....

No wonder smokers get their back up when non smokers come into their areas and are verbally abusive.

It is very unfortunate that both sides of this issue encounter rude folks. I've encountered smokers smoking in non-smoking areas and when asked if they could move to the smoking section, they rattle off obscenities saying they will smoke where they want. A few manners on both sides would certainly help the situation to have a better outcome for all, but unfortunately because of some folks it becomes so confrontational. Edited by NLH Arizona

I would check what is actually written in the dailies for the ship you are on. Smoking areas are listed in the dailies. If smoking is going on (Gawd - hark at me the reformed non smoker :o ) - in areas which are NOT listed as being a smoking area - then a quick call to guest services will alert them to the fact. Chances are staff don't like to say to guests its a non smoking side - and it is just "let go". Even back in the old days, it was always one side smoking, one non -

I kind of still sit on the fence - for sure I never condemn a smoker - its their body their choice and as long as they are in a smoking area - I live with it

I would prefer an area to vape which wasn't smoking - but hey ho - cant have it all.

I confess - smokers are fun people - they enjoy a blether and a drink and there is a unity amongst them in "smokers corner" -

I just feel my nostrils sore now when I sit amongst smoke - and the smell is rotten - the people though - kind, full of laughter and interesting craic - and no doubt they wish deep down that they didn't smoke.

BUT - if truth be known - of the people we met - the craic we enjoyed, the laughter we encountered - there were in fact a lot of smokers...

My body might be smoke free - but a wee piece of my heart remains in smokers corner ;)

Living in the center of the tech world in Silicon Valley, I just don't understand why they can't make cigarettes that don't let off any stinky, harmful smoke for others? Why can't someone design something that allows a smoker to give themselves COPD, emphysema, lung cancer, horrible breath, teeth and clothes or whatever else they want without it affecting other people? I am ALL for people doing whatever they want with THEIR body. Tattoo it, eat nothing but lard, jeez I don't care. I just don't want it to affect me or my kids. I have got to think there is a way to breath the toxins into ones lungs but not breath it out or have smoke come from the cigarette when lit??

We seem to be able to create anything, what a money maker this would be. I would donate money on trips to buy them for people so they could smoke away and then others wouldn't be forced to smell the stench. My asthma gets so bad when I am around smoke now. I guess because I hardly ever am?

Come on Engineers, create something!

We seem to be able to create anything, what a money maker this would be. I would donate money on trips to buy them for people so they could smoke away and then others wouldn't be forced to smell the stench. My asthma gets so bad when I am around smoke now. I guess because I hardly ever am?

They had a great idea with vaping, but unfortunately they added scents to them and that pretty much ruined it IMHO. Some of the scents are putrid smelling.

Living in the center of the tech world in Silicon Valley, I just don't understand why they can't make cigarettes that don't let off any stinky, harmful smoke for others?

They came up with something like that decades ago. It wasn't cost effective,

Why can't someone design something that allows a smoker to give themselves COPD, emphysema, lung cancer, horrible breath, teeth and clothes or whatever else they want without it affecting other people?

Except for the clothes odor, it can be done. See above.

I am ALL for people doing whatever they want with THEIR body. Tattoo it, eat nothing but lard, jeez I don't care. I just don't want it to affect me or my kids.

There's the rub. Since smokers aren't concerned about their own health, it is extremely unlikely that they care for the health of others (you or your kids).

I have got to think there is a way to breath the toxins into ones lungs but not breath it out or have smoke come from the cigarette when lit??

It isn't the lungs that have the craving. It's the brain. The receptors in the brain are physically changed from smoking (and not for the better). Even though the side effects include an increased likelihood of stroke, hearing loss, reduced vision, mouth problems, wrinkles, higher blood pressure, weakened heart strength, blood clots, reduced blood flow (erectile dysfunction), lung damage, emphysema, infection, cancer, reduced estrogen levels, type 2 diabetes, weakened immune system, weakened muscles, weakened bones, etc., the brain's desire for artificial stimulation leads people to continue to smoke.

It isn't in the best interest for the tobacco companies to stop making cigarettes as long as people keep buying them. IQOS from Phillip Morris has potential but it depends on if enough smokers are willing to pay more when cigarettes are still much less expensive. There are also long term tests to determine the impact of the "exhaust" on others.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Amazing that NCL would go backwards on smoking policy. We are some of those that very much enjoy the aft bar area, even for breakfast, if warm enough.

I will not use the space if smokers are there. Even when smokers had one side, I would not sit there, even if no other seats were available.

Another reason to choose Celebrity.

I'm sure NCL did research that said they'd sell more cabins if they made more accommodations for smokers on that class of ship. The Escape is booked enough that they closed all outside smoking other than the 2nd level pool deck at one bar, and Spice H2O. ALWAYS comes down to follow the money. Everyone can complain all they want. If enough cabins aren't sold because of the change, it will change again. It has nothing to do with rights, or smells, or anything other than the bottom line. If you don't like what they've done, show them with your cruise dollar.