What to do about private excursions?

rs45thompson

I was thinking about scheduling a private Excursion at two of our ports. My question is what happens if there is a hurricane or Rough Waters and the ship is diverted. Do you still have to pay for these excursions? Or how does this work? Thank you in advance for any information you're able to share.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

You need to read the FAQs on the excursion provider's website. Most excursion providers who deal with cruise ship clients will address this question. If this question is not addressed on the website, send an email so that you have their policy in writing.

In my experience, private excursion providers generally refund your payment if the ship fails to make port. However, I recently came across a couple of snorkel companies that stated they retained 20% of your payment for their expenses if the ship failed to make port. (If you have travel insurance, this might be covered by it.)

Most private excursions in the Caribbean don't charge upfront; we usually pay after the tour is over. This is starting to change somewhat though. I see more and more asking for a deposit when booking, probably due to no-shows.

Many who ask for a deposit will refund if for some reason the ship does not make port or the weather is impossible or for some other valid reason. Others keep a portion of the deposit.

This is usually addressed on their website, so check the details before booking.

Most private excursions in the Caribbean don't charge upfront; we usually pay after the tour is over. This is starting to change somewhat though. I see more and more asking for a deposit when booking, probably due to no-shows.

Many who ask for a deposit will refund if for some reason the ship does not make port or the weather is impossible or for some other valid reason. Others keep a portion of the deposit.

This is usually addressed on their website, so check the details before booking.

We've noticed the same trend.

Check the terms & conditions re the ship failing to port.

And it doesn't take a hurricane to prevent a ship from porting - might be winds, tides, mechanical issues ete etc.

At a guess, about 5% to 15% of ports are missed. Anyone care to agree or disagree?

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Many of the private tour companies do not require a deposit. Those that do Will generally issue a refund if the ship is unable to dock or are diverted. Ask them or check their website. We have had great private tours and never any problems.

Many of the private tour companies do not require a deposit. Those that do Will generally issue a refund if the ship is unable to dock or are diverted. Ask them or check their website. We have had great private tours and never any problems.

Thank you so much. That was the answer I was hoping for.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app