Vista NY to Miami Musings

Cinders411

This is just MHO & I do realize things like food quality is subjective.

What we liked:

Enjoyed the drink package.

Enjoyed Guy's Burgers (I have to agree with those who are not crazy about the fries though. Pretty soggy.......). Pizza was also really good.

Bonsai Sushi was very good.

Loved the return of live music/band in the production shows.

Production shows were more professional & much better, & I have been quite critical of them in past.

Our stateroom attendant was wonderful as usual.

Really liked the morning/lunch offerings at the Blue Iguana Cantina.

Matt Mitcham is a great cruise director & has a terrific staff.

The color scheme in many areas was very nice.

Serenity Deck was very nice as was the Oceanside Plaza.

We checked out the Havana area and loved it. Wished we would have booked it rather than the spa cabin.

Did the snorkel/plane watching Carnival excursion in St. Martin & would recommend it.

What we did not like:

Tiny & I mean, tiny, closet/drawer space. There was no way to get clothes for two people for an 11 day cruise in there. Ended up doubling clothing on hangers & that was tight.

Tiny spa area. As reported earlier, the Thalassotherapy pool is a just hot tub. Seating only on one side makes it even smaller. Very few heated loungers in the spa. The small space allotted to the thermal suites makes it feel crowded most of the time. I think Carnival has devalued the spa cabins on this ship.

Food in the Lido Marketplace just wasn't very good & there are certainly less offerings to choose from.

Food in the main dining room was okay. I know there has been a lot of talk about the removal of the tablecloths. I thought the rooms looked okay but, there was a lot of dripping water rings on the tables.

Less elevators and they appear smaller on this ship.

No main showroom. The Liquid Lounge is not large enough for all those wanting to see the shows. People were standing all around and even sitting on the steps. I can understand reducing theater space if it is not being fully used but, not on a large ship like the Vista.

Staggered Checkin was terrible. I am only a lowly gold member so perhaps this is not typical for all? We arrived at our designated time and the lines were awful. This was the longest I have ever waited to board a Carnival ship. By the time we finally got aboard the cabins had been open for some time.

We had a good cruise overall but, was the Vista everything I thought it would be? Probably not.

Tiny & I mean, tiny, closet/drawer space. There was no way to get clothes for two people for an 11 day cruise in there. Ended up doubling clothing on hangers & that was tight.

IMHO, you brought too many clothes :)

The two of us had ample space for our clothes. Closet space was reduced to have room for AC. Each room has it's own climate control vs. sharing a master unit. Space had to be sacrificed somewhere for that.

I kinda missed the larger atrium and the glass elevators.

I did like the tradeoff though... IMAX and thrill theaters.

Only got to see one of each though... they were usually sold out when we wanted to go. Need to plan better next time.

After sailing on the last 2 Meds and TA, I think it all depends on your comfort zone.

I travel solo and had the smallest 4J. It was fine for me and I brought a lot for 33 days. There are certain cabins with more closets.

I had no complaints on the Marketplace. A salad or deli sandwich is fine or me, and I will say I grabbed dinner there several nights too, and I had no complaints.

There are elevators forward, mid and aft. I tend to use the stairs, so this normally wasn't a problem. Since I like to walk, after excursions, and being on deck 7, I would walk up a floor, walk to mid elevators, that weren't crowded and then walk forward to my cabin. LOL Avoided the crowds and still got in more steps.

I quickly learned about the Liquid Lounge, and found my perfect seat for the shows.

So while some don't like certain aspects, some of us work around them.

IMHO, you brought too many clothes :)

The two of us had ample space for our clothes. Closet space was reduced to have room for AC. Each room has it's own climate control vs. sharing a master unit. Space had to be sacrificed somewhere for that.

I am glad that you had adequate space, however, we did not. Were you also in a spa interior? If you were I don't know how you could say that you had ample space for your clothing. Our interior spa cabin had half the closet space of any other Carnival interior we have sailed on. There was also only two drawers. Much less storage space than on other ships. It was an 11 day cruise so we packed enough clothes for that. We have cruised several times and are mindful with our packing. I do not think that we brought, "too many clothes".

After sailing on the last 2 Meds and TA, I think it all depends on your comfort zone.

I travel solo and had the smallest 4J. It was fine for me and I brought a lot for 33 days. There are certain cabins with more closets.

I had no complaints on the Marketplace. A salad or deli sandwich is fine or me, and I will say I grabbed dinner there several nights too, and I had no complaints.

There are elevators forward, mid and aft. I tend to use the stairs, so this normally wasn't a problem. Since I like to walk, after excursions, and being on deck 7, I would walk up a floor, walk to mid elevators, that weren't crowded and then walk forward to my cabin. LOL Avoided the crowds and still got in more steps.

I quickly learned about the Liquid Lounge, and found my perfect seat for the shows.

So while some don't like certain aspects, some of us work around them.

I am happy for you.

I agree with some of your assessment and have no opinion on other parts. Other than the ship, how were the ports for you? What did you do?

We did book a Carnival excursion in St Martin which was the Airplane/Snorkel at Maho beach. We enjoyed it very much and would recommend it. We just did a beach day at Grand Turk, Aruba, & Bonaire on our own.

Thanks for your perspectives and opinions. It seems like the quick service food places are a hit, the spa and buffet not too much. Glad Carnival is improving music and show quality, but do wonder about these smaller entertainment venues. Ignore the haters and self-appointed editors.

Thanks for your perspectives and opinions. It seems like the quick service food places are a hit, the spa and buffet not too much. Glad Carnival is improving music and show quality, but do wonder about these smaller entertainment venues. Ignore the haters and self-appointed editors.

Thank you. I appreciate your comments. :)

Thanks for your review and honest assesments! We are booked in a Havanna Aft Balcony in March so are hungry for wany details! :)

I think you will enjoy the Havanna area. My DH kept saying, wish we would have booked one of these instead of the spa cabin. Pool area is really nice. The cabins are so close to live music in the Havanna Bar, plus all the activities in the Ocean View Plaza. Have a great trip!