Taking food back to your room

mspinky36

I have read several people talking about taking food back to their room from the buffet. Is it normal for people to do that? Are you able to get a cover from the staff or do you need to get creative on your own?

The reason we don't is because we usually get an interior cabin, and finding a "window table" in the lido is not all that hard. Just another chance to enjoy the view.

as you are expected to... passengers must quarantine themselves if they are sick..

You are certainly not expected to quarantine yourself for a simple cold. But it is nice to be courteous and stay away from others in the public places or have your travel companion bring you food from the buffet, either in the room or at a table.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sometimes my hubby stops at the buffet to get bacon and crunches it up and asks the omelette cook to add it to his omelette.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That sounds unsanitary. I'm pretty sure they already have bacon available for omelettes if you ask for it

That sounds unsanitary. I'm pretty sure they already have bacon available for omelettes if you ask for it

They don’t. They have crumbled ham and vegi’s. I have never seen bacon and they have never told us no and took it to add to his omelet. He always washes his hands and also uses the sanitary stations when he enters the buffet

If CCL were the only one that did it this way people might have a point, but NCL also does it this way (and other cruise lines AFAIK) and it's also a practice in every hotel I've ever stayed in that offered room service.

Disney cruises don't have trash in the halls. The cabin attendants pick up the room service and/or buffet plates and trays. It was a big difference between them and Carnival.

We've taken Guy's burgers back to the cabin to eat on the balcony. And as to why one would do that instead of room service - I don't know that room service will bring you things off the buffet or Guy's. I thought it was a limited menu.

People bring food back all the time. You won't get a cover. When done eating, people tend to put their dirty dishes on the floor outside the door and next to the wall.

It's a Carnival (cruiser) thing.

Carnival WANTS you to put the dirty dishes outside your door ,The room steward has enough to do all ready ,, A different person picks up the dishes in the hallways ,,not the steward ,, I have seen the stewards sit them on the floor outside the rooms while cleaning the room

There is nothing stopping someone from going to the Lido, getting food, and carrying it back to the room. You may find it inconvenient if you have to navigate multiple decks and hallways, but if eating food in bed watching TV is an important part of your day, you can certainly indulge on a cruise.

Personally, I find it 1000 times more convenient to eat at a table on the Lido, close to all the offerings, drinks, and getting seconds of whatever is really good.

There is nothing stopping someone from going to the Lido, getting food, and carrying it back to the room. You may find it inconvenient if you have to navigate multiple decks and hallways, but if eating food in bed watching TV is an important part of your day, you can certainly indulge on a cruise.

Personally, I find it 1000 times more convenient to eat at a table on the Lido, close to all the offerings, drinks, and getting seconds of whatever is really good.

I think I've mentioned this before, but:

We generally eat where the food is: Lido Buffet or MDR. Grab a Guys burger or pizza and eat in the Lido buffet area or elsewhere on the Lido deck.

But first thing in the morning we like to have coffee on our balcony (if we have one, otherwise just in the room is fine), and I like to have a danish or other pastry. So I grab coffees and some food on a plate (using a tray we bring ourselves). Generally, I leave the mugs/plate(s) in the room when we first go out for (real) breakfast or brunch, thinking I will put them in the hall when we return after brekkie, but they are often gone by then. Next time I'm going to try to remember to put them out right away. It does seem a little weird, but I get why Carnival wants that - one clean up team sweeps the halls of trays/dishes, the regular room stewards clean your room.

Wait? ... Am I the only person that takes his dirty dishes back up to the buffet area? :eek: Seriously? People don't clean up after themselves? They wait for someone else to do it? My Mother raised me better than that. :confused:

Dirty dishes all over the hall are a turn off. My Husband sometimes brings a cup of coffee down, While I am getting dressed, or a small plate of the chocolate chip cookies from the Lido but they are always taken back. By us. I have struggled with my weight all of my life, and finally, while I am not skinny, I am not fat. Food in the room is too much of a temptation. I will eat it when I am not hungry. Bad habits never die, but they can go into remission. Hope I don't sound like a grouch.

Dirty dishes all over the hall are a turn off. My Husband sometimes brings a cup of coffee down, While I am getting dressed, or a small plate of the chocolate chip cookies from the Lido but they are always taken back. By us. I have struggled with my weight all of my life, and finally, while I am not skinny, I am not fat. Food in the room is too much of a temptation. I will eat it when I am not hungry. Bad habits never die, but they can go into remission. Hope I don't sound like a grouch.

Taking food from lido to room is no different than ordering room service. Carnival actually wants food trays out in hallway.

I think I've mentioned this before, but:

We generally eat where the food is: Lido Buffet or MDR. Grab a Guys burger or pizza and eat in the Lido buffet area or elsewhere on the Lido deck.

But first thing in the morning we like to have coffee on our balcony (if we have one, otherwise just in the room is fine), and I like to have a danish or other pastry. So I grab coffees and some food on a plate (using a tray we bring ourselves). Generally, I leave the mugs/plate(s) in the room when we first go out for (real) breakfast or brunch, thinking I will put them in the hall when we return after brekkie, but they are often gone by then. Next time I'm going to try to remember to put them out right away. It does seem a little weird, but I get why Carnival wants that - one clean up team sweeps the halls of trays/dishes, the regular room stewards clean your room.

You can always just hang the Breakfast Placard on the cabin door (usually prior to 3-5am) for Continental BF items and Coffee. Delivered at the time you request (6:00am - 900am or so) . Much easier than going to the Lido and taking a tray back to the cabin.

You can always just hang the Breakfast Placard on the cabin door (usually prior to 3-5am) for Continental BF items and Coffee. Delivered at the time you request (6:00am - 900am or so) . Much easier than going to the Lido and taking a tray back to the cabin.
I don't think it offers eggs and bacon/ham/sausage...just pastries. Please tell me I'm wrong. :)

I don't think it offers eggs and bacon/ham/sausage...just pastries. Please tell me I'm wrong. :)

You are correct it is not a Hot BF. Continental BF items and Coffee only. If you want Eggs/Bacon etc... just go to the buffet and get what you want....:) Continental BF items are just a placeholder, until we get to the dining room...;)

(BTW...I think another CL offers hot BF, but my experience has been that it was lukewarm at best)..:cool:

Edited by jwjax

You are correct it is not a Hot BF. Continental BF items and Coffee only. If you want Eggs/Bacon etc... just go to the buffet and get what you want....:) Continental BF items are just a placeholder, until we get the dining room...;)

(BTW...I think another CL offers hot BF, but my experience has been that it was lukewarm at best)..:cool:

Thanks! :cool:

They don’t. They have crumbled ham and vegi’s. I have never seen bacon and they have never told us no and took it to add to his omelet. He always washes his hands and also uses the sanitary stations when he enters the buffet

Every ship I have been on in the last few years does have bacon available for omelettes. I always get bacon in mine.

We always grab food to eat in the buffet and then bring back a plate of snack type stuff to the room. We don't leave the plates in the hall because that's a tripping hazard.

Also, please do not use your own tupperwares to serve into. That's unsanitary. Just because you think it's "clean" does not make it so, and you risk touching the utensils to your gross tupperwares. Use the plates provided and then transfer the food into your tupperware from your plate with your silverware, NOT the serving utensils that touch the food everyone else eats! Food safety is not something to mess around with.

Not only have we taken food from the buffet to enjoy on our balcony, we've taken food up to Serenity to enjoy while sunning, we've taken food to whatever venue is hosting a trivia game, we've taken food to the main show lounge, etc. I put what I want on my plate, cover it with another plate, and go where I want to go.

Enjoy.

And sometimes for a dive-in movie.

Seems that the biggest risk of getting policed for taking food out of the lido buffet or anywhere is here on the CC boards :rolleyes:

My wife finds it cute that I go get her coffee. And I try to book cabins that are not too far from the Lido buffet - a couple decks down, aft, is preferable to us.