Pearl Harbor, Hanauma bay, North Shore in 2 days ?

uvasag

We arrive in Honolulu on 2/22 and board our ship on 2/25. We will have 2 full days on 23rd and 24th. Can we finish Pearl Harbor, North Shore and Hanauma Bay in 2 days ? At Pearl Harbor, we really just want to see the memorial and USS Arizona. Not keen on the submarine or the museum. If we finish Pearl Harbor by noon can we continue onwards and finish North Shore on the same day ? We can then do Hanauma Bay on 24th. I've been reading trip reports but haven't come across anyone doing this so not sure if it's because it's not possible.

Well, you have to have a ticket to go out to the Arizona. We got there at opening and still had to wait about 90 minutes. It worked out ok as they have a museum to go through while you are waiting. Hanuma-unless things have changed, you need to watch a 15 minute required video before you can snorkel. It wasn't too busy on the afternoon we went but, usually, snorkeling is best in the morning. North Shore is a drive in itself. I'd say it can be done, but get to the memorial as soon as it's open.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know to swim so snorkeling is out. I was going to the drive out there for the scenic beauty, beaches and blow hole. I guess, a lot will depend on how soon we finish our Pearl Harbor tour and if we can finish the North shore on the same day.

Or I could do North shore on 2/23, Hanuama Bay on 2/24 and Pear Harbor on 2/25 before boarding the ship.

Edited by uvasag

Access to Hanauma Bay is closed on Tuesday: https://hanaumabaystatepark.com

I'd recommend pre-booking your Arizona Memorial tender ticket but if surfs up on the North Shore traffic can be bad with very limited parking. Already heavy surf has created erosion on North Shore beaches which is a common occurrence on some beaches anywhere in Hawaii.

http://www.recreation.gov/tourDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&tourId=317399

https://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/fees.htm

If the North Shore is crowded, you might instead consider driving the Pali Hwy through the Koolau mountains to the lush green windward side of Oahu. You could go a short distance north if you want to view more of the windward coast before continuing a scenic loop around the southern end of the island. I flew at 6:30 AM from Maui with a visiting friend to rent a car to go to the Arizona Memorial & USS Missouri and still had sufficient time for the loop around the southern end to get our flight back to Maui at 7:30 PM.

If you've never been to Bishop Museum in Honolulu it's an exceptional display of Hawaiian history: http://www.bishopmuseum.org

Also consider that Honolulu is ranked near the top of the list for traffic congestion in the US & to allow sufficient time to enjoy your time on Oahu & not only by seeing the beauty from your car. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I don't know to swim so snorkeling is out. I was going to the drive out there for the scenic beauty, beaches and blow hole. I guess, a lot will depend on how soon we finish our Pearl Harbor tour and if we can finish the North shore on the same day.

Or I could do North shore on 2/23, Hanuama Bay on 2/24 and Pear Harbor on 2/25 before boarding the ship.

If you don't snorkel, I wouldn't bother with Hanauma Bay. The beach itself is pretty mundane. I'd wait until I got to the North Shore to do a beach or stop on the way at Lanikai or Kailua Beach - gorgeous beaches, beautiful ocean view. You pass the blowhole on the way to the North Shore if you take the coast route instead of splitting up through the middle of the island.

This is a beautiful drive and well worth the time. From the parking area at Hanauma, there is a walkway alomg the wall high above the bay and it is a gorgeous view, even if you don't go down to the beach.

You could continue your drive up along the Windward Coast as another poster suggested. This road travels between the water and the Koolau Mountains and is my favorite place in O'ahu. If you have the full day, you could stop at Kualoa Ranch. They have several tours which get you into those mountain valleys (motorized or horseback, no walking) with spectacular views out to the ocean.

Pear Harbor on 2/25 before boarding the ship.

That's what we have done.

Pre-booked on internet the Arizona Memorial for 11AM. You have to be there one hour before. The traffic was light (Saturday morning), and we managed to enter at 10.45AM. At 1PM we were on our way to return our rental and take the free shuttle provided to the pier.

We had only one full day in Honolulu (Friday), and managed to see all the highlights, but we didn't spend time on beaches, just sightseeing.

Our car rental is with Dollar. They have free shuttle to the cruise terminal from the Waikiki rental office ?

We rented through DHCR, and we asked for a company with a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. They gave us Alamo, who also provided a free shuttle from our hotel in Waikiki to their office.

We rented through DHCR, and we asked for a company with a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. They gave us Alamo, who also provided a free shuttle from our hotel in Waikiki to their office.

What did you guys use from the Cruise Terminal to the airport ? I'm thinking of Pacific Shuttle and Tours.

Glad to save you money :) You're welcome.

We had a noon flight, so we just took a taxi from the cruise terminal to the airport - 23$. We had only carry ons - we travel light and always do self-disembark.

My sister and her DH had a 7PM flight, and they took the ship's tour of PH, with a drop off at the airport. Worked well for them.

• 2 weeks later...

We got to Pearl Harbor around 7:30am for our 9:15am tour to the Arizona. It was ample time for us to browse the memorials while waiting to enter the theater and then the ferry to the Arizona. We got back from the Arizona and were on our way to the parking lot by 11:30am if I recall.

We love the North Shore and could easily spend an entire day there, so I guess it depends on what you want to do. Back in September, we did the Dole Plantation first at 9:30am, then headed up to Haleiwa and had lunch, stopped at turtle beach, and went to Waimea Valley. We got back to our resort around 6:30pm that night. You can make the trip to the North Shore as long or as short as you want, depending on what you'd like to do.

We got to Pearl Harbor around 7:30am for our 9:15am tour to the Arizona. It was ample time for us to browse the memorials while waiting to enter the theater and then the ferry to the Arizona. We got back from the Arizona and were on our way to the parking lot by 11:30am if I recall.

We love the North Shore and could easily spend an entire day there, so I guess it depends on what you want to do. Back in September, we did the Dole Plantation first at 9:30am, then headed up to Haleiwa and had lunch, stopped at turtle beach, and went to Waimea Valley. We got back to our resort around 6:30pm that night. You can make the trip to the North Shore as long or as short as you want, depending on what you'd like to do.

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have reservations for Pearl Harbor at 9:00am on 2/10/17. We're only planning on seeing the Arizona Memorial which the website says to allow @1 1/2 hrs. My question is with a rental car if we leave Pearl Harbor by 11:00AM can we do the loop up through the center of the island and make our way around to the east coast and back down to Waikiki to the Hawaiian Hilton and get back by 6:30PM the same day? Thanks in advance for any help

My wife and I have reservations for Pearl Harbor at 9:00am on 2/10/17. We're only planning on seeing the Arizona Memorial which the website says to allow @1 1/2 hrs. My question is with a rental car if we leave Pearl Harbor by 11:00AM can we do the loop up through the center of the island and make our way around to the east coast and back down to Waikiki to the Hawaiian Hilton and get back by 6:30PM the same day? Thanks in advance for any help

I did that route & even started it with a 6:30 AM flight from Maui.

Even with going to both the Arizona Memorial & the USS Missouri tour we did that loop, returned our rental car and made our 7:00 PM flight.

With the rail line construction creating some additional traffic, check traffic because Honolulu ranks as one of the worst US cities for traffic. We didn't have any unanticipated traffic delays but still check current conditions on your date.

Edited by Astro Flyer