Hotel pre cruise Miami

dina8ken

Hotel for Miami port pre cruise

We are flying in to Fort Lauderdale for our Miami cruise because I am a flight attendant for SWA and fly free but don't go into MIA. Is there a hotel that will shuttle from FLL that anyone knows of that is close to the port of Miami?

And what is a good hotel for reliable transportation to POM?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FLL airport is nearly an hour from Downtown Miami. No hotel runs a shuttle that distance. Your best bet for that ride is one of the shared vans that pick up at FLL. Or a taxi that would run about $80. Even the closest hotels to PortMiami cater mainly to business travelers with expense accounts to pay for taxis, so they offer no shuttle services even to the Port. There are motels near MIA that offer low cost shuttles or snooze-and-cruise rates, but only very marginal properties in locations that would otherwise never draw cruise passengers.

If the least costly alternative is the only one you will consider, stay at a motel near FLL that offers a free airport shuttle--the 'FLL Airport South' location of most chains--then use one of the many shuttle services discussed here from that hotel to PortMiami the morning of your cruise.

Also check the recommendations on this nearly identical thread just down the board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2428822

Edited by fishywood

We are flying into FLL, but cruising out of POM, too. Our problem was that Super Shuttle only went to Downtown Miami hotels, and ours is on South Beach. I finally was able to arrange a shuttle through Viator, but have decided to never again fly into a different city than the port city. It was a real hassle. I usually fly into FLL because we, too, fly SW, and the non stop from Buffalo to FLL. There are no non stops flights from Buffalo to Miami, and with the nasty weather we encounter in Buffalo, we don't want any missed connections due to the bad weather.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to the boards!

The common advice on this board for is to stay near FLL, where comparable hotels are cheaper than those in downtown Miami. The morning of your cruise there are many shuttle companies that will take you from FLL and nearby hotels to POM for about $15 per person. The same fare will get you back to FLL after your cruise.

If you choose to stay in Miami your best bet is to use Uber - about $40+ depending upon what hotel you choose - another $12+ taxi will get you to POM the next day. Popular hotels for cruisers include two in the Mary Brickell area (Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites), Hyatt, Intercontinental, Doubletree and a couple of Marriott options.

Have a great cruise! :)

Edited by JohninDC

Good for you for flying SW!!! Yes it is proving to be a challenge for sure! Thank you for the shuttle suggestion.

We try to always fly with SW, for two reasons:

SW ALWAYS takes care of their passengers if there was a missed connection due to them. This has happened before, and they gave us food vouchers, a hotel room for the night, and a flight next morning. And they are a fun group of flight attendants. We have sung Christmas carols during a holiday flight last year when we flew into Love Field, Dallas.

And the second reason is we, too, know a flight attendant. Actually she is my daughter's mother in law, who has been a flight attendant for years. Her "home base" is out of Baltimore, so she "commutes" to work from Buffalo, NY. She has given us drink vouchers before, and that was a nice touch.

The easiest, quickest, most efficient and least expensive is to stay at a FLL area hotel with an airport shuttle. Then do as John suggest, catch a shared shuttle or take Uber to the POM the next day.

If you are coming in early and have time to explore you could rent a car at FLL, drop it at MIA and then take the free shuttle to the POM. I would still stay in Ft Lauderdale, even with a rental car.

There is a cluster of hotels south of the airport around Oakwood Plaza Mall which has a Kmart. They has a modest selection of popular wines (if you so choose) and any last minute needs. There is also a number of restaurants you can walk to.

La Quinta Inn, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Hilton Garden Inn, SpringHill Suites and Hampton Inn.

Edited by Lido_Deck

By far the easiest way to get to Downtown Miami, and the cheapest for 1-4 people is getting an uber at FLL. The ride will be direct to your destination and cost no more than $40-$$45.00, sometimes even less.

As for hotels, search the board and you will see tons of options in the Downtown Miami/Brickell area. While many don't have shuttle services, its really not a big deal as you can easily see on a map Downtown Miami and Brickell are very close to the port. It will be q $5-$7 Uber ride from there to your ship, or a bit more for a taxi. Very quick too.

By far the easiest way to get to Downtown Miami, and the cheapest for 1-4 people is getting an uber at FLL. The ride will be direct to your destination and cost no more than $40-$$45.00, sometimes even less.

As for hotels, search the board and you will see tons of options in the Downtown Miami/Brickell area. While many don't have shuttle services, its really not a big deal as you can easily see on a map Downtown Miami and Brickell are very close to the port. It will be q $5-$7 Uber ride from there to your ship, or a bit more for a taxi. Very quick too.

Yes if our hotel doesn't get us there early enough we may look at the Uber option as well

check me out on Youtube -NFHRR

• 1 month later...

Im just ready to check out of the Embassy suites Hotel in Miami. Lovely hotel almost identical to the one in Fort Lauderdale. It's nice and clean you wouldn't know you were in Miami except for the fact that you really can't walk anywhere from here. I'd recommend a hotel if you were going to Cruise out of Miami. Plus there's a $10 shuttle to get to the port of Miami. I used SuperShuttle to get here from Fort Lauderdale airport. It was $36 plus tax and tips. I know you can do it for less money with Uber or SAS or whatever but, I've used them before and it worked out well

Hotel for Miami port pre cruise

We are flying in to Fort Lauderdale for our Miami cruise because I am a flight attendant for SWA and fly free but don't go into MIA. Is there a hotel that will shuttle from FLL that anyone knows of that is close to the port of Miami?

And what is a good hotel for reliable transportation to POM?

DOH! I didn't see this is an old post and I already answered.

No hotels in Ft Lauderdale provide a shuttle to POM, so it won't matter which hotel you stay at. You could rent a car (Alamo, Enterprise, National or Thrifty), drop at MIA and take the POM shuttle or arrange a shared shuttle ($15 pp) to POM.

When are your dates and what time do you think you will arrive at FLL?

Edited by Lido_Deck

-

Lido Deck - You mentioned that there is a free shuttle from MIA to POM. Where can I get more information on this? Where would I go to get on this shuttle. Is it the size of a big bus? How often does it leave MIA for the port and does it stop at all port terminals?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

-

-

Lido Deck - You mentioned that there is a free shuttle from MIA to POM. Where can I get more information on this? Where would I go to get on this shuttle. Is it the size of a big bus? How often does it leave MIA for the port and does it stop at all port terminals?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

-

Only a few hotels near the MIA airport include both airport and a shuttle to POM in their package rate - Embassy Suites MIA & La Quinta East are the two most often mentioned on this board. MIA area hotels are fine if you are arriving late and just want a room for the night. ES and LQ are fairly isolated - no stores or dining nearby.

If you are arriving earlier in the day and would like to see something of Miami and enjoy dinner out, pay $25+ for a cab (or $15+ for Uber) and stay downtown, close to POM.

Im just ready to check out of the Embassy suites Hotel in Miami. Lovely hotel almost identical to the one in Fort Lauderdale. It's nice and clean you wouldn't know you were in Miami except for the fact that you really can't walk anywhere from here. I'd recommend a hotel if you were going to Cruise out of Miami. Plus there's a $10 shuttle to get to the port of Miami. I used SuperShuttle to get here from Fort Lauderdale airport. It was $36 plus tax and tips. I know you can do it for less money with Uber or SAS or whatever but, I've used them before and it worked out well

We have stayed twice at Embassy Suites. Nice and clean. There are cocktails from 5:30 to 7:30 and the free breakfast is much better than other hotels little breakfast area. It says there is an airport shuttle. We could never find it so took a cab from the airport for $17 and got shuttled to POM the next morning. There are some IHG hotels that say you can catch a transfer to the pier. You just have to arrange it before hand. There is a new Holiday Inn Express that in Nov runs around $150 and includes the breakfast bar but it isn't near many things.