Medicare Question

jdshaw1000

We are taking our first cruise under Medicare in February. We have Medicare A,B, D and Supplemental Plan F.

Plan F does cover limited international hospital expenses.

Looking for a company/plan suggestion covering ship medical, evacuation, and full hospital coverage.

Thanks.

We are taking our first cruise under Medicare in February. We have Medicare A,B, D and Supplemental Plan F.

Looking for a company/plan suggestion covering ship medical, evacuation, and full hospital coverage.

Thanks.

We have been very pleased with geoblue.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Strongly recommend that you contact Steve (or one of his associates) at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They can discuss a variety of policies, and from several different insurers (whom they've "vetted") with you, to help you get the best policy for your needs.

Make sure you mention what coverage you already have for foreign travel, so you have minimal overlap.

Enjoy!

Strongly recommend that you contact Steve (or one of his associates) at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They can discuss a variety of policies, and from several different insurers (whom they've "vetted") with you, to help you get the best policy for your needs.

Make sure you mention what coverage you already have for foreign travel, so you have minimal overlap.

Enjoy!

I absolutely ditto this recommendation! They with cruisers of a certain age (you & me) I find it important to buy Travel Insurance within 14 days of booking (some policies give a bit more time) in order to cover pre-existing medical issues (diabetes, heart, high blood pressure) or a pre existing condition we don't even know about.

Call and talk to Steve or a staff member they are wonderful about helping you figure out your most important issues and how to affordably get coverage. I find the website to be overwhelming and speaking with them is so much better to understand issues that can come up.

Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I absolutely ditto this recommendation! They with cruisers of a certain age (you & me) I find it important to buy Travel Insurance within 14 days of booking (some policies give a bit more time) in order to cover pre-existing medical issues (diabetes, heart, high blood pressure) or a pre existing condition we don't even know about.

Call and talk to Steve or a staff member they are wonderful about helping you figure out your most important issues and how to affordably get coverage. I find the website to be overwhelming and speaking with them is so much better to understand issues that can come up.

Have a great trip!

It's not only whether the website is overwhelming or not.

What is even more important is that it's impossible for each policy to be described 100% in summaries like this.

And the FINE PRINT can be very important...

So it's best to speak directly with them (perhaps after glancing at the website summaries - or not!) to discuss your own particular needs/desires regarding travel insurance.

Sometimes those discussions will prompt them to ask more questions and be better able to get the best fitting policy.

And they can help with claims if/when needed.

Thanks.

Trip Insurance Store is very good but does not handle some policies that can be obtained at time of final payment! In particular I'm thinking of Nationwide which is handled by "Insure my Trip". You might want to give them a call!!!

Trip Insurance Store is very good but does not handle some policies that can be obtained at time of final payment! In particular I'm thinking of Nationwide which is handled by "Insure my Trip". You might want to give them a call!!!

Steve, at http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com , does indeed handle policies that can be purchased at final payment (within 24 hours of final payment).

We have purchased that type of policy from CSA through Steve's company, when we weren't able to get our regular coverage from Travel Insured (which requires starting the coverage within 21 days of initial payment).

Steve, at http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com , does indeed handle policies that can be purchased at final payment (within 24 hours of final payment).

We have purchased that type of policy from CSA through Steve's company, when we weren't able to get our regular coverage from Travel Insured (which requires starting the coverage within 21 days of initial payment).

I didn't say Steve has NO policies that can be paid at final payment. He does have CSI, but not Nationwide!! Insure my trip has both and they can be compared on the same screen. I do not think you are doing a service by dissuading him from calling both. I used both and purchased Nationwide from Insure my trip!!!

You ALMOST make it sound as if you work for Trip Insurance Store.

Just call and discuss your needs with one or the other or both.... they can help you figure out what you need and the best policy for you. I found the policies at final pmt cost more and had a very restrictive look back period. But that's just me!

Thanks.

Just so you know, not sure that you are aware,,,, there is no travel policy out there where if you need medical care, you just show them your insurance and they work directly with the insurance company.

All travel insurance is reimbursement only (there are a couple of exceptions).

Need treatment on board the ship? You pay

Need treatment in Nassua Medical center? You pay

Need to be evacuated by helicopter from the ship in the Caribbean to a local hospital? That will most likely be free courtesy of the US Coast Guard.

Then, you file for reimbursement.

I am under the impression that Geo Blue is direct payment to ship doctor, hospital, etc.. Therefore patient does not pay and then get reimbursed. Am I incorrect?

You do realize that even your local doctors office isn't required to do this. They only do it as a courtesy.

Note the "participating providers".

I'll let you search to see who their participating providers are.

Short answer is

Not in all cases.

A quick google search gives me

https://www.geo-blue.com/faqs.cfm

Direct Pay is a service that issues a Guarantee of Payment (GOP) from GeoBlue to Participating Providers outside the U.S to cover medical treatment. In many countries providers require this at the time of the visit. If this guarantee is not arranged prior to the visit, the physician may require additional payment up front from you beyond any deductible, copyament or co-insurance that may apply at the time of service.

For optimal service, request Direct Pay at least 48 hours prior to your appointment to avoid paying out-of-pocket for medical care and submitting claims.

Learn more about Direct Pay