Quick Passport Question

hishorselover

My husband, son and I are cruising on Fascination out of San Juan in May. They are planning to get passports for this trip only (I already have mine). I have read that for US Citizens to travel to the Caribbean a Passport Card is sufficient rather than a Passport Book. I know that technically we don't even need a Passport for this trip however I prefer the reassurance of having Passports with us. Can anyone confirm with me that the Passport Cards would be sufficient proof of residency should an emergency arise? Thanks in advance! PS...I would prefer the Card due to lower cost and the fact that we never intend to travel anywhere other than possibly Canada after this trip.

Yes: The passport card will work for this cruise. It will not allow you fly home from any foreign destination but will allow you cross into Canada and return.

The passport card is basically for land travel between the U.S., Mexico and Canada. It will also work as ID for the cruise.

I know the extra $80/pp is a lot but getting the passport opens a world of opportunities.

Take care and enjoy the cruise.

Mike

Residency yes, but keep in mind that if you have an emergency on an island other than Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, you will not be able to be flown home without an actual passport book. The card is not valid for flights.

Just get the books. Valid for everything and your husband's will be good for 10 years. Worth the extra cost for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Residency yes, but keep in mind that if you have an emergency on an island other than Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, you will not be able to be flown home without an actual passport book. The card is not valid for flights.

Just get the books. Valid for everything and your husband's will be good for 10 years. Worth the extra cost for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Since they have no plans to travel internationally other than to Canada I would say the Passport Card is a good option for them. It may be used for both closed loop and open jaw sailings and to cross the land border into Canada. While it can't be used for air travel the risk of having to return by air is very slight and if it were to happen having the passport cards would be an advantage because all of the traveler's info is in the State Dept's database.

I know that technically we don't even need a Passport for this trip however I prefer the reassurance of having Passports with us.

Just curious, what can you do with a passport card that you can't do with regular ID (e.g., valid driver's license)?

we never intend to travel anywhere other than possibly Canada after this trip.

You don't know what wonderful international travel opportunities for your family may arise during the next 5 years (length of validity of a child's passport) or 10 years (length of validity of an adult's passport). The extra cost of the adult passport book works out to $8 per year--the cost of a couple cups of coffee from Starbucks. The extra cost of the child's passport book works out to $13 per year--less than the cost of a pizza.

Don't be "penny wise and pound foolish"--get the passport books.

Just curious, what can you do with a passport card that you can't do with regular ID (e.g., valid driver's license)?

The passport card proves identity and citizenship with one document. You can use it to cross the land border (can't do that with a DL). You can use it alone to board a closed loop cruise (can't do that with a DL). You can use it alone to board an open jaw sailing (which are few and far between but still can't do that with a DL).

You don't know what wonderful international travel opportunities for your family may arise during the next 5 years (length of validity of a child's passport) or 10 years (length of validity of an adult's passport). The extra cost of the adult passport book works out to $8 per year--the cost of a couple cups of coffee from Starbucks. The extra cost of the child's passport book works out to $13 per year--less than the cost of a pizza.

Don't be "penny wise and pound foolish"--get the passport books.

I think most people are well aware of what travel opportunities they can and cannot do. Should such a trip present itself down the road then that's the time to get the passport. You can say it only cost is only so much per year, but the amount is due upfront which can be an issue for a family (when we started cruising it would have cost us $850 or so for passports).

--the passport or passport card proves citizenship as well as a pic ID.

--the driver's license is just a photo ID.

I'd spend the $80 dollars for the actual passport. It's good for 10 years ... which averages out to only $8 a year. With a passport you can decide to go on any cruise you want or anywhere in the world. ... who knows what you'll want to do a few years from now:D

We already travel with passports but did receive a reminder from the cruise line that a passport was required for Costa Rica.

I think most people are well aware of what travel opportunities they can and cannot do. Should such a trip present itself down the road then that's the time to get the passport. You can say it only cost is only so much per year, but the amount is due upfront which can be an issue for a family (when we started cruising it would have cost us $850 or so for passports).

That is a cost that I keep going back and forth with. We are a family of 4 that will be going on our first cruise next year. Its a expense that I didn't factor in when I planned out the budget for the trip. If I can make it work, I will get them but honestly I am still unsure about it because of the price.

My husband, son and I are cruising on Fascination out of San Juan in May. They are planning to get passports for this trip only (I already have mine). I have read that for US Citizens to travel to the Caribbean a Passport Card is sufficient rather than a Passport Book. I know that technically we don't even need a Passport for this trip however I prefer the reassurance of having Passports with us. Can anyone confirm with me that the Passport Cards would be sufficient proof of residency should an emergency arise? Thanks in advance! PS...I would prefer the Card due to lower cost and the fact that we never intend to travel anywhere other than possibly Canada after this trip.

Since you are considering it for emergency, you just might need a passport book.

Edited by easyboy

That is a cost that I keep going back and forth with. We are a family of 4 that will be going on our first cruise next year. Its a expense that I didn't factor in when I planned out the budget for the trip. If I can make it work, I will get them but honestly I am still unsure about it because of the price.

Millions of people travel on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport without an issue, so it is a low risk endeavor. Just make sure that everyone's birth certificate is in order (they need to be issued by a government entity) and those that need IDs have valid, unexpired government IDs (16 and over).

Thanks for all the input everybody! Honestly, I do NOT see us traveling again in the near future. It took a lot of effort to convince my husband to go on this trip. Although.....I'm sure he'll be hooked once he experiences it!! Just to clarify, are you saying that if we needed to fly back to the states from, for example, St. Kitts or Barbados, we would not be able to do this with a Passport Card? Most likely I will just have them get the book but would prefer not to spend the money if it isn't necessary. However....should we fall in love with a particular island and want to return, they would need the book anyway. Something to consider....

Thanks for all the input everybody! Honestly, I do NOT see us traveling again in the near future. It took a lot of effort to convince my husband to go on this trip. Although.....I'm sure he'll be hooked once he experiences it!! Just to clarify, are you saying that if we needed to fly back to the states from, for example, St. Kitts or Barbados, we would not be able to do this with a Passport Card? Most likely I will just have them get the book but would prefer not to spend the money if it isn't necessary. However....should we fall in love with a particular island and want to return, they would need the book anyway. Something to consider....

The only way you would need the book is if you did have to fly back from one of the islands. What are the real odds of that being necessary? Only you can answer that but for most people it's a very low risk.

Hishorselover--

If you have to return to the United States on an emergency, you will NOT be allowed to board a plane to the U.S. with just a passport card. You will have to have a passport book. As the spouse of a former Foreign Service Officer, I know the process for obtaining an emergency passport abroad as my spouse had to deal with these issues. The consular officers will do their best to get emergency passports issued quickly, but it can take more than a day. And if you are in a location without a U.S. Embassy or Consulate (which is possible on a Caribbean cruise), it will take even longer.

If you have a concern about an emergency return and are already considering the passport card, my advice is to spend the extra money for the passport book. It affords you so much more flexibility on travel.

For the purposes of this cruise, the passport card holds as much weight as a birth certificate and government photo I.D.- which you already have for free. If something happens on one of the other non-U.S. territory islands you will need a passport book.

I would skip the passport card altogether and either a) use the D.L. and birth certificate for free or b) get the passport book.

Since you want the peace of mind and you stated that you can swing it financially, it looks like the book is the better option for you.

We already travel with passports but did receive a reminder from the cruise line that a passport was required for Costa Rica.

Hey that's good to know as we'll be hitting Limon on the way to the Panama Canal. Good thing we already got the books for our first cruise even though we didn't need them.

We did use them last week - got them stamped in Nassau lol. Silly tourist thing but it was fun. The lady never even stopped talking on the phone to whoever she was talking too - just saw us at the door, waved us in and stamped our books.