PortSide Vs Starboard side

Jamericannn

Always Port! Always balcony! Almost always Empress deck 7 (8 in a pinch if 7 sold out depending on ship)! Yeah, I guess we always do the same thing, not sure why, its what we like!

I guess you enjoyed it your first time so you don't want to try something else and be disappointted

Does not make much difference to me I am more concerned with the cabin type and forward/aft positioning. If given a choice cruising out of Tampa I prefer starboard because of the better view...Port side has the view of the Apollo Beach power plant.

Cheers and happy cruising.

" When it come to port or starboard, time of year is a factor. Do I want sun in the morning or afternoon?"

huh? on the way out or the way back? what about headed east and west? The time of the year in the Caribbean has little bearing.

I thought about the same thing you asked but when I thought about it I realize that when you are heading south to the Caribbean, the sun will be on the portside.

How many of you book a room based not just on the proximity to the action or where there will be minimal disturbance, but also make your choice based on left side (port) vs right side (starboard)?

Nope. Don't care.

If your general direction or primary direction is south, and you book port you'll be woken up by Mr Sunshine, out bound. If you book starboard, Mr Sunshine will cast his rays into your cabin on the way home. (Reverse is true is heading north to Alaska or Canada. For ports of call, it usually makes no difference. Sometimes you'll see the port area, others the sea or across the water, or even another ship blocking your view. At sea, regardless of which side you book, you'll see water. What could matter more isn't which side but what above you or below you deck wise.

Does not make much difference to me I am more concerned with the cabin type and forward/aft positioning. If given a choice cruising out of Tampa I prefer starboard because of the better view...Port side has the view of the Apollo Beach power plant.

Cheers and happy cruising.

NOW ya tell me! ;)

We had Starboard on Conquest, Port on Valor and frankly, I couldn't tell ya the difference. The vast majority of my balcony time was after dark anyway. loved them both. I have port for the Miracle to Panama out of Tampa in 2018. I'll get to see each side of the canal regardless.

The old story was that the European cruisers heading to India, in order to see the shoreline, would always book Port Out Starboard Home. Thereby in their search for the "finer quarters" they gave us the word POSH.

When sailing between India and England rather than the view the primary reasoning for POSH in the days before central air conditioning was one would only have the morning sun on their cabin thus making the space less hot.

Edited by sanmarcosman

How many of you book a room based not just on the proximity to the action or where there will be minimal disturbance, but also make your choice based on left side (port) vs right side (starboard)?

I do because I want to try and be on the side facing the land when leaving the home ports. Trying to see if I am the only coo-coo one. :)

If you don't see it coming, you'll see it going.

The only time I try to figure out starboard and port is when we cruise to Bermuda, and knock wood, and cursing myself now, I've been right every time!

The terms Port and Starboard are centuries old nautical terms that refer to the left and right side of the ship.

Port side has nothing to do with how a ship approaches or ties up at the port of call or the home port.

On the old sailing ships, the steerboard (rudder) was affixed to the right side of the ship. Therefore, they would place the dock on the left side of the ship in order not to damage the steerboard.

Therefore, the steerboard (starboard) is on the right side and the dock (port) is on the left side.

I do because I want to try and be on the side facing the land when leaving the home ports. Trying to see if I am the only coo-coo one. :)

We do, because one side of the ship has a smoking section outside, and we don't want to experience frequent cigarette smoke while on our private balcony.

We have done Starboard for our previous cruises, just out of coincidence. Our next trip is Port and I admit that I'm a little thrown off by it. There is really no explanation other than I am a creature of habit.

What is most important to me, is what is above and below me. I prefer to be sandwiched between other staterooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The old story was that the European cruisers heading to India, in order to see the shoreline, would always book Port Out Starboard Home. Thereby in their search for the "finer quarters" they gave us the word POSH.

When sailing between India and England rather than the view the primary reasoning for POSH in the days before central air conditioning was one would only have the morning sun on their cabin thus making the space less hot.

Really? Do you REALLY think this is true to the point you want to post it in a public forum?

Posh - (päSH) early 20th century: perhaps from slang posh, denoting a dandy.
There is no evidence to support the folk etymology that posh is formed from the initials of port out starboard home
(referring to the practice of using the more comfortable accommodations, out of the heat of the sun, on ships between England and India).

Really? Do you REALLY think this is true to the point you want to post it in a public forum?

Posh - (päSH) early 20th century: perhaps from slang posh, denoting a dandy.
There is no evidence to support the folk etymology that posh is formed from the initials of port out starboard home
(referring to the practice of using the more comfortable accommodations, out of the heat of the sun, on ships between England and India).

Yes, really. If you read maritime historian John Maxtone Graham's The Only Way to Cross you will learn the source you quote needs to be informed what the military and diplomatic corps of the British Empire coined POSH and its common usage.

BTW, sources such as Snopes are often shown to be incorrect and Snopes editors are only too willing to admit their mistakes. The purpose of this board is information and not condescension.

Edited by sanmarcosman

Yes, really. If you read maritime historian John Maxtone Graham's The Only Way to Cross you will learn the source you quote needs to be informed what the military and diplomatic corps of the British Empire coined POSH and its common usage.

BTW, sources such as Snopes are often shown to be incorrect and Snopes editors are only too willing to admit their mistakes. The purpose of this board is information and not condescension.

Thank you for your correction!

Perhaps one should contact the Oxford dictionary people, Snopes, Marriam-Webster, Wikipedia, etc. and notify them of your finding.... Isn't it amazing how all these sources can be wrong?

Thank you for your correction!

Perhaps one should contact the Oxford dictionary people, Snopes, Marriam-Webster, Wikipedia, etc. and notify them of your finding.... Isn't it amazing how all these sources can be wrong?

Please come back and share how that works out.

Thinking it doesn't really matter to us. Our cruise in November on the Breeze, cove balcony port side- was GREAT for watching the pier in Cozumel and Roatan. Usually the Breeze docks starboard in Galveston, but it changed direction this cruise, coming back in, so we watched us dock- and watched our luggage unload, from our balcony. We felt "lucky", and will probably choose port side again, depending on what's available and where (1st preference is a cove balcony, again, hopefully).

We have done Starboard for our previous cruises, just out of coincidence. Our next trip is Port and I admit that I'm a little thrown off by it. There is really no explanation other than I am a creature of habit.

What is most important to me, is what is above and below me. I prefer to be sandwiched between other staterooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yep what's above and below is the big question.

There is a reason I like Port, as I sail back in to Sydney Harbour, I have the Opera House on my side as the sun rises.

As some have posted, on a "closed loop" cruise (leave/return from same port) the port and starboard sides have equal amounts of sun/shade and choosing a side for this reason is just plain silly (IMO).

That being said, a cabin on the port cabin side may be more desirable for cruises departing NOLA as one would face ships passing the other way while on the Mississippi (including other Carnival cruise ships!). Several times we have seen the Elation/Dream pass within 100' with a closing rate of 20+ knots at nine at night. Very interesting.

Finally, on a repositioning cruise port vs. starboard can be a consideration. We chose 4237 on the Legend for an upcoming Hawaii > Vancouver repositioning cruise as we wanted more sun for a possibly chilly April north-pacific crossing.

Edited by LostPuppy

Only if you sail the same ship, leaving from the same port, going in the same direction. Other than that, your statement makes no sense.

Makes sense to me, ships travel south allowing the port side to face mostly east (sun rises in the east). Ships debarking Jacksonville, Charleston, Tampa, New Orleans, Mobile, Houston, Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale and Miami all travel mostly south going to the Caribbean. Different ships, different debarkation ports, traveling mostly the same direction. Makes sense to me. If it still makes no sense to you, oh well, I can't explain it any better.. The worst 3 years of my life was the third grade...

Edited by gklow