Fort Myers Beach to Port Everglades

adamdiane

Hi,

We have 4 days prior to our next cruise in April 17 (Independence of the Seas transatlantic from Port Everglades) and will be renting a car in Tampa to explore the West Coast of Florida before dropping the rental car off at FLL (and then taking a cab to the port) on the morning of departure.

We will probably look to stay at Fort Myers Beach or Sanibel.

Google maps shows the journey from FMB to FLL will take just over 2 hours along the Alligator Alley (I-75) and then on to the I-595.

1) Can I use cash to pay the toll on the I-75 an how much is the toll?

2) Is the I-595 a toll road?

3) How busy will the roads generally be if we leave FMB at 8am?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Adam.

Hi,

We have 4 days prior to our next cruise in April 17 (Independence of the Seas transatlantic from Port Everglades) and will be renting a car in Tampa to explore the West Coast of Florida before dropping the rental car off at FLL (and then taking a cab to the port) on the morning of departure.

Google maps shows the journey from FMB to FLL will take just over 2 hours along the Alligator Alley (I-75) and then on to the I-595.

Adam.

I would recommend googling "sunpass" for the toll site. Check out the different car rental company policies. Some of them will have minimal charges plus actual tolls that they will add to your bill. Then you don't have to worry about it, drive when and where you wish:)

All the roads you mention are expressways, some will be busy in spots but you'll keep moving for the most part.

Enjoy the Gulf Coast!!!

Toll on Alligator Alley is $3.00. As of this writing there are still cash lanes at the entrance in Naples where you will pay the toll.

No tolls on I-595 unless you enter the express lanes on the left. Just take care not to (unless you have acquired a SunPass of your own).

The I-75 corridor north of Alligator Alley is congested every day. And as April 17 is Easter Monday (which is not a bank holiday in the US), schools will be reopening after being off the week before and workers headed back after vacation. Expect extremely heavy traffic at 8 AM. Whether to commence earlier or later is a coinflip; if you leave say at 7 to get ahead of traffic, you will hit the tail end of rush hour in Ft Lauderdale. If you wait until after the worst traffic, say 9:30, your total travel time should be close to only two hours but that will put you at the port a bit later than I presume you wish.

We spent last winter on the Gulf Coast of Florida, and found we preferred staying in the Bonita Springs/Naples area. Much nicer than Ft Myers. Also, check out Siesta Key up near the Tampa area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP didn't ask for other suggestions on where to go:rolleyes: And Siesta Key is 60+ miles from Tampa........

I wouldn't bother with a Sunpass in this case assuming you can still pay cash in Naples. I haven't heard of any plans to change that. The Sunpass is $5 to purchase and a minimum of $10 opening balance if I remember correctly. Not worth it to pay a $3 toll. I would however recommend it if you stay on Sanibel or Captiva. The toll for the Sanibel Causeway is $6 however you can still pay cash there as well.

As a side note, I too would much prefer Sanibel or down in Bonita Springs/Estero area compared to Ft. Myers. Sanibel for the old Florida feel or if you prefer super suburban strip malls, Bonita Springs would be the choice.

Just offering better locations to visit. Nothing more. No need to be snarky, folks.

I wasn't being snarky. I was pointing out to bouhunter that the original location the OP mentioned is twice as far from Tampa as Siesta Key.

I wasn't being snarky. I was pointing out to bouhunter that the original location the OP mentioned is twice as far from Tampa as Siesta Key.

We've travelled everything from Tampa to Key West many times and know quite well where things are. I was pointing out that Siesta Key is not really "near Tampa" as someone else described it.

Edited by bouhunter

Hi,

Adam.

First of all, why would you drop at FLL and pay for a taxi when there are free shuttles to the port from different rental car locations?

Alamo, Enterprise and National from FLL

Budget - 17th Street across the parking lot from the Renaissance

Enterprise - Hilton Marina on 17th Street

Avis - Hyatt Pier 66 on 17th Street

Thrifty and Dollar - Miami Road

Hertz- Crowne Plaza Hotel at SR 84 and Federal Highway.

Second...If it's not too late to change your flight home, you can rent cars in Florida after Easter for $9.99 per day, sometimes less, up to 2-3 weeks, with unlimited mileage just as long as you drop it outside the State of Florida. We get too many cars down here so they rent them cheap to get them out after Easter.

So...If you wanted to explore the East Coast of Florida, Cocoa Beach, Daytona Beach, St, Augustine, etc., you could rent a car cheap, drop it in Atlanta and fly from there or just keep on driving...Nashville? New York?