Transpacific time changes

andnosyd

We just booked on the May transpacific and we're wondering if anyone can tell me when they start setting the clocks forward (or back?) and how the crossing of the international date line worked? Thanks!

You will not know when they are setting the clocks on a daily schedule until you are on the ship. Captain makes that decision. Also makes the decision whether to change at 2 AM or mid-day.

The International Date line is different. When you cross it, one day will simply disappear, e.g., you will go from Tuesday to Thursday at midnight.

We just booked on the May transpacific and we're wondering if anyone can tell me when they start setting the clocks forward (or back?) and how the crossing of the international date line worked? Thanks!

All changes listed daily in your Celebrity info and your telephone time changes automatically, so just look at the clock on it...we did the Hawaii to Sydney trip in October a few years ago and did not have a Wednesday! It would not have been an issue if I wasn't such an avid collector of the Celebrity Today's...I was hunting end of cruise for the missing one for ages before I realised....You should get our day back!

One of our best cruises ever, enjoy!

Is this the Millennium or Solstice cruise? We were on the Millennium in September and found that there wasn't much in the way of a time change until after we left Dutch Harbor (which seems to keep to Anchorage time) but there were quite a few time changes after that until we arrived in Japan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is this the Millennium or Solstice cruise? We were on the Millennium in September and found that there wasn't much in the way of a time change until after we left Dutch Harbor (which seems to keep to Anchorage time) but there were quite a few time changes after that until we arrived in Japan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is the eastbound cruise, not westbound. It leaves in May.

You will not know when they are setting the clocks on a daily schedule until you are on the ship. Captain makes that decision. Also makes the decision whether to change at 2 AM or mid-day.

The International Date line is different. When you cross it, one day will simply disappear, e.g., you will go from Tuesday to Thursday at midnight.

I should have specifically said with your cruise that you will gain a day, not lose one headed eastbound.

I should have specifically said with your cruise that you will gain a day, not lose one headed eastbound.

We are doing a TP on the Explorer of the Seas from Sydney to Seattle. I understand that we will enjoy the same day twice.

We have done three trans-Pacific cruises on Celebrity, with the last cruise embarking in Honolulu last September. On all three of those cruises the time change was made in very early morning hours (i.e., 2 AM). When crossing the international date line the day just jumps to make the adjustment, which provides the cruise director and other staff with the opportunity to make some jokes about the ability of the ship to travel in time.

We have done five trans-Atlantic cruises, and the only time we have made an afternoon (2 PM) time zone adjustment was on the Eclipse last spring. While we met some folks who liked the 2 PM adjustment I found that it made for a very short afternoon.

Eastbound, the ships tend to make the clock advance during the night. Westbound, they sometimes make it during the day, so that your "day" lasts longer (more drinks sold).

As to when they start, each time zone is 15* of longitude, or 900nm wide. Depending on where your port of embarkation is within its time zone, and the course (due east crosses time zones faster than northeast) and speed of the ship will determine when the clock changes happen. But, since the ship will do about 20 knots +/-, that's 480nm/day, so a clock change every other day would be about right, probably starting the second night out.