New Growlers in Pub on Vista.

crewsweeper

JH had a post on FB with picture showing new 64 oz. growler you can get in the Thirsty Red Frog Pub on the Vista. Fill with anything on tap. Just under $50 filled and refills are around $17. I think just the growler is around $30 (not sure). Looks glass lined, with a stopper. Since you get to take the growler home, not a bad deal. Especially on refills...5 + 12 oz beers for $17.

But with the growler, it'll take original and 3 refills to bring the average price down below $5 a beer (21 beers total). I don't think you have to pay a gratuity, could be mistaken here, but you can't use a Cheers package to get one or do a refill.

I wish this were available on all ships with the Red Frog Pub. Crossing my fingers (but not holding my breath) that it will roll out to more ships before our April cruise. We have recently started to collect growers from different breweries we visit and I think this would be a fun addition.

Unless there is something uniquely defining on the growler (ship, year, etc.) frequent cruisers could pack it on their next cruise and only have to pay for refills.

I wish this were available on all ships with the Red Frog Pub. Crossing my fingers (but not holding my breath) that it will roll out to more ships before our April cruise. We have recently started to collect growers from different breweries we visit and I think this would be a fun addition.

Unless there is something uniquely defining on the growler (ship, year, etc.) frequent cruisers could pack it on their next cruise and only have to pay for refills.

Right? I would totally buy one....and probably will, as a souvenir!! They are pretty sharp looking!

Not glass lined but they are stainless steel and should be double-walled like the Yeti cups to keep contents warm or cold.

I hope they are available at all RFP soon.

My bad! Thanks for the correction.. I'm with MrsFuzzmo. Add as souvenir. However, if there is one of their brews I happen to like, might get a full one. Definitively not for the commercial AB/INBEV brews on tap.

What's a growler?

a big jug for beer. It's big in areas with craft breweries as the weirdo alcohol laws in many states make it hard for the manufacturer to sell direct to public sometimes. However in some states you can go to the brewery and buy the growler and get it filled to take home.

They come in different sizes and sometimes are glass or sometimes aluminum but the main concept is they are big jugs that breweries can sell to the public.

I'm thanking the beer gods that Florida recently legalized growlers as we have many terrific craft breweries that make lots of special releases that are only available at the brewery. Cigar City is one of my favorites. They distribute cans around the state of their more popular releases but they also make a ton of limited edition things every year.

Yay! History lesson time!

In the late 1800s and early 1900s, fresh beer was carried from the local pub to one's home by means of a small-galvanized pail. Rumor has it that when the beer sloshed around the pail, it created a rumbling sound as the CO2 escaped through the lid, thus the term "growler" was coined.

Will you be able to use these on other ships?

I don't think so. Not until they start using them on ships with RFPs that brew their own beer. You can only buy them on the Vista at the present time.

Would be curious as to what they let you fill them with. Most ships only have the Thristy Red Frog Ale and Bu Light on tap. Those with RFPs may have Guiness as well. Maybe Strongbow(?).

a big jug for beer. It's big in areas with craft breweries as the weirdo alcohol laws in many states make it hard for the manufacturer to sell direct to public sometimes. However in some states you can go to the brewery and buy the growler and get it filled to take home.

They come in different sizes and sometimes are glass or sometimes aluminum but the main concept is they are big jugs that breweries can sell to the public.

I'm thanking the beer gods that Florida recently legalized growlers as we have many terrific craft breweries that make lots of special releases that are only available at the brewery. Cigar City is one of my favorites. They distribute cans around the state of their more popular releases but they also make a ton of limited edition things every year.

Thank you! :):)

Thank you! :):)

Happy to oblige! :) I'm pretty sure South Carolina does growlers so if you or a friend like beer, check 'em out! You can get the one on the Vista for 30 bucks without beer in it so you can bring it home and maybe get it filled with local brews. (SOme places that do growlers don;t sell the jugs, they just charge you a deposit so you'll bring theirs back - they hope to get refilled again lol. You can save a deposit by bringing your own and I think the ones on Vista are pretty neat looking so, as a beer lover, I'd love to have one. As if I needed more excuses to get on the Vista!)

Happy to oblige! :) I'm pretty sure South Carolina does growlers so if you or a friend like beer, check 'em out! You can get the one on the Vista for 30 bucks without beer in it so you can bring it home and maybe get it filled with local brews. (SOme places that do growlers don;t sell the jugs, they just charge you a deposit so you'll bring theirs back - they hope to get refilled again lol. You can save a deposit by bringing your own and I think the ones on Vista are pretty neat looking so, as a beer lover, I'd love to have one. As if I needed more excuses to get on the Vista!)

I would be careful declaring that it can be used in a particular place.

In Georgia, when purchasing a growler, they put a plastic seal on the bottle and heat it so that it is a kind of shrink wrap on it. That is what makes it a "sealed" container and makes it legal to drive with it in the car.

This Carnival growler looks like it just seals by closing the hooks on the side, so I'm not sure it would be refillable at the breweries everywhere. I plan on showing the picture to a local brewery and see what they say Georgia law is. Your state laws may vary. :)

I would be careful declaring that it can be used in a particular place.

In Georgia, when purchasing a growler, they put a plastic seal on the bottle and heat it so that it is a kind of shrink wrap on it. That is what makes it a "sealed" container and makes it legal to drive with it in the car.

This Carnival growler looks like it just seals by closing the hooks on the side, so I'm not sure it would be refillable at the breweries everywhere. I plan on showing the picture to a local brewery and see what they say Georgia law is. Your state laws may vary. :)

Hadn't thought of that...here they just wrap plastic tape around the stopper. I'm getting one either way! :)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

Yay! History lesson time!

In the late 1800s and early 1900s, fresh beer was carried from the local pub to one's home by means of a small-galvanized pail. Rumor has it that when the beer sloshed around the pail, it created a rumbling sound as the CO2 escaped through the lid, thus the term "growler" was coined.

Thanks. I love history! :)

So is the lid on top a good seal so it doesn't spill out? Also, how long would beer stay cold in this (not a fast beer drinker)?

• 4 years later...
On 12/8/2016 at 1:16 AM, mindymariexxo said:

It's only available on the ships that have breweries...I'm sure someone has a list. 

It's not just they have a pub, they have to actually brew the beer onboard. 

There are places around where I live you can get a growler refilled ..or you could pre covid.

I tried to google it fast, vista for sure and future ships will have breweries . Says it was pioneered on vista so that's the oldest ship that has it.. 

https://www.carnival.com/awaywego/cruising-fun/what-to-expect/bobbing-hops-sharing-beers-americas-first-brewery-sea#:~:text=5.,in 2019 and 2020 respectively.

Edited by firefly333

22 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's only available on the ships that have breweries...I'm sure someone has a list. 

It's not just they have a pub, they have to actually brew the beer onboard. 

There are places around where I live you can get a growler refilled ..or you could pre covid.

I tried to google it fast, vista for sure and future ships will have breweries . Says it was pioneered on vista so that's the oldest ship that has it.. 

https://www.carnival.com/awaywego/cruising-fun/what-to-expect/bobbing-hops-sharing-beers-americas-first-brewery-sea#:~:text=5.,in 2019 and 2020 respectively.

Vista class has it. So Vista, Horizon, Panorama.