Royal Caribbean Gets Approval To Sail to Cuba

Hi all,

this may have already been asked, in which case I apologise for asking again - but I wondered if anyone had heard if RCI plan to go to Cuba anytime soon? Or have they already released schedules and I haven't seen them?

thanks in advance for your replies

Jean :)

If the USA and Cuba can normalize relations, there is a tremendous potential to develop cruise ports, destinations, and excursions in Cuba.

I am confident that all of the cruise lines are keeping this in mind and perhaps doing some initial planning for the future.

At a recent event Michael Bailey was asked this question, his answer was that they were waiting for one more ( and final ) piece of paper to be signed by the Cuban authorities in order for plans to progress in a positive direction. :D

Hi all,

this may have already been asked, in which case I apologise for asking again - but I wondered if anyone had heard if RCI plan to go to Cuba anytime soon? Or have they already released schedules and I haven't seen them?

thanks in advance for your replies

Jean :)

Personally I can't wait for the opportunity to cruise to Cuba!

They would love to offer sailings to Cuba, as they would be very popular I'm sure. It's only a matter of time until the red tape is sorted through and most/all of the major cruise lines will stop there.

I know there are plans for Cuba to improve and expand their ports to accommodate modern cruise ships. I'd guess sometime in the next 1-2 years there will be quite a few choices

Interesting that they would start with Azmara.

Makes you wonder if the size of the ship matters.

The Azamara ships are considerably smaller than the Empress- like near 700 to just over 2000.

Passenger wise, those two are the smallest, then the Empress and Legend.

Or it's a basic size thing- since they are also the smallest physical.

IIRC, the Carnival ship that went there was quite small, too.

I'm interested to see if the cruises will be short 4/5 night cruises, or longer 7/8 night cruises. I'm also interested in the cost, as Empress surely isn't the most technologically advanced ship or largest ship on the high seas right now, reducing costs, but Cuba is an expensive market for US travelers.

Interesting that they would start with Azamara.

I'm not sure I'm reading that Azamara would be first. :confused:

...cruises will launch aboard cruise lines Royal Caribbean International and Azamara Club Cruises...

Miami Herald quote

Just about to start a new thread but looked first to find this already posted.

Research... Always a good decision, I to almost fell for the let's start a new thread dilema myself. :eek:

I laugh at these! I have done it once on accident, and since then I have always made sure to check before I post. I saw no threads about it and thought "Finally, my day has come!" :D

Makes you wonder if the size of the ship matters.

The Azamara ships are considerably smaller than the Empress- like near 700 to just over 2000.

Passenger wise, those two are the smallest, then the Empress and Legend.

Or it's a basic size thing- since they are also the smallest physical.

IIRC, the Carnival ship that went there was quite small, too.

Both Azamara ships and the Fathom Adonia are exactly the same, all three are R-class ships built for the now-defunct Renaissance Cruise Line. Once the line disbanded, all 8 of the ships have been acquired by other cruise lines like Princess, Oceania and Azamara.

I'm also interested in the cost, as Empress surely isn't the most technologically advanced ship or largest ship on the high seas right now, reducing costs, but Cuba is an expensive market for US travelers.

Fathom sailings were "on sale" at $2,000 pp last week so folks better be prepared for crazy pricing. At the other end of the scale you can take Jetblue for $59 each way form FLL.

Edited by Biker19

I laugh at these! I have done it once on accident, and since then I have always made sure to check before I post. I saw no threads about it and thought "Finally, my day has come!" :D

OTOH, the unsolicited moderators need something to do!

Eventually there may be cruises with one stop in Cuba and maybe eventually a circle Cuba cruise.

Edited by BillOh

Just released: http://cruisefever.net/12071-royal-caribbean-gains-approval-sail-cuba/

Royal Caribbean made the announcement on Wednesday saying that the company will launch Florida to Cuba cruises on both Royal Caribbean and Azamara Club Cruises. The voyages will be people to people trips and itineraries will be announced at a later time.

Carnival Corporation’s Fathom brand became the first cruise line to sail to Cuba from the U.S. in more than 50 years earlier this year. Royal Caribbean has been requesting approval to sail to the Caribbean island. While they have not announced which cruise ship will sail to Cuba, it is widely believed that they will use the smaller Empress of the Seas.

Richard Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean, said that the cruise line’s passengers have expressed interest in sailing to Cuba and they believe that this new cruise destination will appeal to a new generation of travelers.

The Empress was specifically brought back for Cuba cruises.

RCL applied for permits and was expected to receive them in June. They did not come through.

Now with a republican president, senate, and house, it is unlikely to happen.

Just announced they got their permission. NCL too. I guess they lucked out and got it before those darn Republicans took over :rolleyes:

Eventually there may be cruises with one stop in Cuba and maybe eventually a circle Cuba cruise.

There already is one:) The one Canadians (and lots of Americans lol) have been using for years

http://yourcubacruise.com/your-cruise/your-trip

That's what we always called the Freedom Western Caribbean cruises, because looking on a map, FL to Labadee to Jamaica to GC to Cozumel and back looks like a big circle around Cuba... :)

Just announced they got their permission. NCL too. I guess they lucked out and got it before those darn Republicans took over :rolleyes:

They were waiting on permits from Cuba, which came in today.

We'll see what happens in January. Remember, the current Cuba policy came through executive action, and not through Congress. The republican party platform continues to call for an embargo