? Proper Dining Attire on Coral Princess

nanatutu

As you would know, dress code for the day is in the Princess Patter and a sign at entrance doors to MDR's. To no avail. People don't give a hoot and the senior staff are weak. Of course they don't want to lose a passenger in the competitive world of cruising.

Princess doesn't like to force the issue unless people carry it to the extreme.

Sort of. I pulled my shorts down to the same level but it didn't work.:(

I had to resort to my raggedy jeans (without holes), T shirt & baseball cap & that was OK. :D

ROFL

Princess doesn't like to force the issue unless people carry it to the extreme.

That is the bottom line. It is all about money.

I went to PSD one time to complain about the disparity between what women were allowed to wear (flip flops) and men (no flip flops). I even offered to put some sparkles on them but drew the line at painting my toenails. :rolleyes: What they told me was that women can wear about anything since it was hard to judge what they wore while men are held to a much tighter standard and was easy to judge. So much for sex discrimination.

ROFL

That is the bottom line. It is all about money.

I went to PSD one time to complain about the disparity between what women were allowed to wear (flip flops) and men (no flip flops). I even offered to put some sparkles on them but drew the line at painting my toenails. :rolleyes: What they told me was that women can wear about anything since it was hard to judge what they wore while men are held to a much tighter standard and was easy to judge. So much for sex discrimination.

I think that may be one of the reasons why they turn a blind eye to what lots of guys wear lately.

ROFL

What a treat working at the desk must be.

We recently were on the Coral and pretty much anything went for the ladies. Saw some ladies with shorts on get waved on in. The guys however, got turned away with shorts on two dinner seatings that I saw. I had packed two nice dress shirts with ties sans jacket. This was not allowed on Elegant night because of the short sleeves. I was slightly miffed but many other options to dine. Most nights the service was too slow for my liking anyways. You see all kinds of mix and match suits at dinner. clearly whatever fit and tacky at best. But since it was a jacket, come on in. Of course the wife would object but I would put together the craziest outfit I could, including two different shoes, and get admitted for dinner. I just find it all illogical.

We have experienced this in a few very nice resorts in Mexico. Very strict with men, no open toed shoe, must wear long pants and collared shirts but women can show up in basically anything. People get very upset because it's hot and humid and nobody really wants to be fully dressed up in that weather.

We recently were on the Coral and pretty much anything went for the ladies. Saw some ladies with shorts on get waved on in. The guys however, got turned away with shorts on two dinner seatings that I saw. I had packed two nice dress shirts with ties sans jacket. This was not allowed on Elegant night because of the short sleeves. I was slightly miffed but many other options to dine. Most nights the service was too slow for my liking anyways. You see all kinds of mix and match suits at dinner. clearly whatever fit and tacky at best. But since it was a jacket, come on in. Of course the wife would object but I would put together the craziest outfit I could, including two different shoes, and get admitted for dinner. I just find it all illogical.

I haven't worn a jacket in at least a dozen years & up till my last cruise on the Royal brought along a long sleeve shirt to satisfy the door checker. As I found out on the Royal short sleeves are perfectly acceptable and at least 20 guys each formal night were wearing them.

What't the difference, I don't know because as soon as I get to the door my sleeves are rolled up anyway. It seems that the Coral hasn't caught up to the new relaxed informal dress code yet. ;)

We have friends going with us on Coral 18March2017 sailing. They are "virgin" cruisers and so had many questions. One was "Is it OK to wear capris to dinner?"

I have been on this cruise before but don't recall seeing any ladies wearing capris in the dining room. I know no shorts are allowed. I usually wear dresses or "Sunday Go to Meeting" (:)) type of clothes to dinner.

Can anyone answer this for her?

They are fine.

I haven't worn a jacket in at least a dozen years & up till my last cruise on the Royal brought along a long sleeve shirt to satisfy the door checker. As I found out on the Royal short sleeves are perfectly acceptable and at least 20 guys each formal night were wearing them.

What't the difference, I don't know because as soon as I get to the door my sleeves are rolled up anyway. It seems that the Coral hasn't caught up to the new relaxed informal dress code yet. ;)

The dress code is interpreted differently between ships and even between MDRs. I have not worn a sport coat in years and never wore a tie. Last few cruises I have worn my guayabera shirt (short sleeved and open collar) with no problem. I was on a Caribbean cruise last March and saw men wearing a Hawaiian type shirt on formal night so I would say there was no problem with those either.

Last few cruises I have worn my guayabera shirt (short sleeved and open collar) with no problem. I was on a Caribbean cruise last March and saw men wearing a Hawaiian type shirt on formal night so I would say there was no problem with those either.

Me, too! On formal nights have worn a formal, embroidered type guayabera (in my case in color black) which in Caribbean dress codes can equal wearing a dress shirt and tie. As I mentioned once in another longer thread, a guayabera, depending on style, can equal anything from a short-sleeved collared shirt to a suit and tie... something you could even wear to your daughter's wedding in the islands. Not that nice ones are cheap, a nice embroidered Irish linen formal version can easily run $160 and up. But you don't/can't wear jackets with them! :D However, next trip is New Year's, and also because of which ship it is, am going full suit/tie route for fun.

My Hawaiian shirts sometimes visit the MDR on casual nights, never on formal night for me. That's just too tacky. Even though some brands like Tommy B seem to cost as much as a formal guayabera. :eek:

The dress code is interpreted differently between ships and even between MDRs. I have not worn a sport coat in years and never wore a tie. Last few cruises I have worn my guayabera shirt (short sleeved and open collar) with no problem. I was on a Caribbean cruise last March and saw men wearing a Hawaiian type shirt on formal night so I would say there was no problem with those either.

I took your advice & wore my guayabera shirt on the Royal last cruise & it worked out fine. Loads of guys only wore short sleeve shirts without jackets but the guayabera is so much better. It looks neater without having to tuck in in my pants. Mine is only a cheap one I picked up in Mexico over 20 years ago but it serves the purpose for all my future cruises. :D

• 3 weeks later...
The only time I've seen a baseball-type cap in MDR that was not objectionable on a cruise, was worn by a WWII veteran, seemingly 24/7 during his trip. Can't be miffed about that.

You make a good point.

DW and I could care less, what other PAX chose to wear for dining in the MDR. It doesn't impact the enjoyment of our meal. . We make no judgement the circumstances or reason what PAX choose to wear. That's just us. YMMV.

In fact, we enjoy the Formal Night dress parade. Sometimes we have a good laugh at what PAX choose to wear on Formal Night

Happy sailing in 2017.

I was wondering about capri pants! I have some very dressy capris to pair with bright (and sparkly) tops and dressy sandals. I will give it a go and see if I get thrown out of the MDR! :D

But, on the formal nights, I will be formal :)

Capris are only OK for the women so far but it might change in the future. :D