? Proper Dining Attire on Coral Princess

nanatutu

We have friends going with us on Coral 18March2017 sailing. They are "virgin" cruisers and so had many questions. One was "Is it OK to wear capris to dinner?"

I have been on this cruise before but don't recall seeing any ladies wearing capris in the dining room. I know no shorts are allowed. I usually wear dresses or "Sunday Go to Meeting" (:)) type of clothes to dinner.

Can anyone answer this for her?

We have friends going with us on Coral 18March2017 sailing. They are "virgin" cruisers and so had many questions. One was "Is it OK to wear capris to dinner?"

I have been on this cruise before but don't recall seeing any ladies wearing capris in the dining room. I know no shorts are allowed. I usually wear dresses or "Sunday Go to Meeting" (:)) type of clothes to dinner.

Can anyone answer this for her?

Capris and nice jeans are OK for women in the MDR except on Formal nights. The only nice pants or dresses are required.

Men aren't allowed shorts into the MDR any night.

I have seen some ladies in slacks or dressier type capri pants with a fancy/sparkly top and cute sandals. But to wear just regular jean type capris and flip flops I have never seen. I too wear a long sun dress or maxi dress. So I guess it depends on the capris and what the rest of the outfit will look like.

On casual nights my wife wears capris almost all the time.

I've often wondered why the guys can't get away with a pair of longer shorts? There's practically the same length as some capris. :p

Its a tough lesson to learn but; "Life is not always fair":eek:.....haha

I've often wondered why the guys can't get away with a pair of longer shorts? There's practically the same length as some capris. :p

Have you tried wearing a pair of your wife's capris to the MDR? :p

Today was the last day of our Panama Canal cruise. <sad face> We had traditional seating at the 5:30 time slot. Our table was 79 in the Bourdeaux Dining Room. We ate every night there as we had delightful tablemates. Table 79 is in the corner so we really didn't see what others were wearing. My husband wore jeans the first night and I was in a skort as we hadn't unpacked yet. Others were in jeans also. The rest of the time, he was in dress pants and a collared shirt other than formal nights when he wore a suitcoat and tie. I wore a variation of sun dresses and wore a sweater on formal nights. To be honest, I picked up all the dresses at Kohls and didn't pay more than $30 for any of them. Most were $3 - $6 and I fit right in. People were dressed in formal/fancy dresses for more than just formal night but I wasn't and it didn't bother me. I did take one dress that I felt was too casual and didn't wear it.

2 of our tablemates were 80+ in years. They were a hoot. They honestly had no business being on a cruise as they could barely take care of themselves. But our waiters were so good to them. The man didn't wear a tie even on formal night and he was allowed to dine every night.

The day of the Panama Canal, we were delayed for 2 hours getting back through the canal so we didn't pick up the people who did excursions until 6:45. Several asked if they could come into the dining room in their shorts as they were hot, tired and very hungry. They were refused.

So in my opinion, wear what you feel comfortable in knowing you are in a dressier environment. Then "own" your outfit, walk in proud and you'll be fine.

Agree, capris can be dressed up or down. I enjoyed getting 'dressed for dinner' when cruising and I was comfortable wearing black capris a couple of evenings on our Med cruise last year (particularly after long, hot port days when I almost couldn't be asked). I just paired them up with dressier tops and sparkly sandals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Men aren't allowed shorts into the MDR any night.

Took the Crown to Mexico this year. Men and women were wearing shorts and tank tops in the MDR.

I suppose it depends on the Maitre 'd.

Took the Crown to Mexico this year. Men and women were wearing shorts and tank tops in the MDR.

I suppose it depends on the Maitre 'd.

That is true. There is usually a sign out front about the dress code, but it's up to the staff to enforce it. On the first night, anything goes since some people might not have their luggage yet. I have seldom seen tank tops on men in the MDR, even going to Mexico.

Thank all of you for your responses. There are a few varying so I called Princess and got a "probably not appropriate" to wear capris in the MDR. LOL. Back to square one. I will tell her what everyone said and she can come to her own conclusion.:)

Just off the Island Princess last week - Panama Canal. In MDR - On non formal nights, there were jeans and T shirts and on formal nights, there were jeans and T shirts. No enforcement at all by Maitre'D/Head Waiters at the door. Very few tuxedos seen. Overall some shabby dressers.

Surely if Princess won't enforce their dress codes, get rid of them !!!

Island is sister ship to Coral, but Princess have wrecked Island with extra cabins, impacting on public space.

Edited by NSWP

We have those type of shorts for men. They fit close to the leg like Capris. They call them "Clamdiggers" up here.

Just off the Island Princess last week - Panama Canal. In MDR - On non formal nights, there were jeans and T shirts and on formal nights, there were jeans and T shirts. No enforcement at all by Maitre'D/Head Waiters at the door. Very few tuxedos seen. Overall some shabby dressers.

Surely if Princess won't enforce their dress codes, get rid of them !!!

Island is sister ship to Coral, but Princess have wrecked Island with extra cabins, impacting on public space.

It really appears that Princess is being forced to take an official action in the near future similar to all the other cruise lines but for now they're just turning a blind eye in hopes that most will follow some sort of dress restrictions.

It really appears that Princess is being forced to take an official action in the near future similar to all the other cruise lines but for now they're just turning a blind eye in hopes that most will follow some sort of dress restrictions.

As you would know, dress code for the day is in the Princess Patter and a sign at entrance doors to MDR's. To no avail. People don't give a hoot and the senior staff are weak. Of course they don't want to lose a passenger in the competitive world of cruising.