Caution--Princess Card--Rewards

BigTimeCruiser

Two years ago was able to go online and get Princess Visa statement credit immediately with points. Now, as said previously an investigation. Going on for 3 weeks now with phone calls and e mails. Website even says no travel done despite almost 10 k charged in the 180 days and 5 k in the last month. What incompetence.

I had called on 12/6/15, spoke with supervisor, she initiated the "investigation" even though could see my <180 days ago charge for >$4001, said about 10 days for resolution, emailed to follow-up on investigation after 10 business days, told could be as much as 30 days until resolution............UGH!

My only hope is they will, once resolved, go ahead and redeem ALL my points that have accrued up to the date of resolution and do so at the 2% rate. Not holding my breath though.

Agreed: it was much easier in the past to just go online and redeem points! As soon as this is taken care of, we've decided to swap to another card. BIG loss for Visa but it's their own doing!

Barclay also acknowledged that I had qualifying purchases but it wasn't displayed on their website to be redeemable. It's been 3 months since sending the changes & nearly 2 months since it was instituted. That should be sufficient time to provide us what they promised. My chargecard credit was issued 5 weeks ago & hopefully soon you'll receive yours.

I was happy that my interpretation of the new rules was correct & I was able to redeem all of my points. I'll soon cancel my Barclay Princess card & instead use another card that yearly gives me a 3% refund for any travel purchases.

If you can get the 2% on Princess Visa the rewards are better. Spend the 4K at 3% get $120. Princess Visa $160 (4kx2x.02). Becomes even more if you spend more. Assumes they eventually straighten things out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The Princess Barclay's card used to credit your credit card statement $7,500 for 400,000 points. However, it now looks like you can only get $ statement credit for up to the amount you paid for a cruise. I have asked several of the people who answer the phone, but no one seems the know. The information on-line at Barclays.com is very confusing, too.

Does anyone know the answer?

The Princess Barclay's card used to credit your credit card statement $7,500 for 400,000 points. However, it now looks like you can only get $ statement credit for up to the amount you paid for a cruise. I have asked several of the people who answer the phone, but no one seems the know. The information on-line at Barclays.com is very confusing, too.

You've got me.

The whole thing is so confusing I'm going to trade in what points I've now received & get another card.

I've been able to redeem all of my reward points after the implementation of the new rules so based on my experiences here's how the new system affects your scenario.

Depending upon how much you charged on an individual Princess purchase, your redemption value varies:

1% ($50-$499.99)

1.25% ($500-$2,000)

1.50% ($2,001-$4,000.99)

2.00% ($4,001+)

Thus your 400,000 points redemption value would be:

$4,000 (1%)

$5,000 (1.25%)

$6,000 (1.50%)

$8,000 (2.00%)

My experience was that Princess purchases within a 180 day period of time are not accumulated to determine the redemption value. For example, I had a $2,600 Princess purchase which qualified me for a 1.50% redemption value. Even if I had another $1,500 of Princess purchases within the 180 days, it's not cumulative. Thus instead of totaling $4,100 to get a 2% redemption reward the value is based solely on only one purchase & in my case it was $2,600 for a 1.5% chargecard credit. I was able to redeem all of my points & my 12,400 reward points resulted in a $186 chargecard credit.

I know that it's a complicated procedure and that even the new detailed Princess Reward Rules sent in early October are confusing & even contradict statements in their notification of changes letter. Not only is it confusing to customers but also to Barclay Princess agents because their website is still screwed up! :(

Here's a link to another thread about the new complicated Princess Reward Rules:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2407334&page=9

Edited by Astro Flyer

I agree!

It is ridiculous that it is so confusing. Even the people who represent Barclays on the phone can't answer the questions. My new card from another company is on its way. Will cancel both my Princess cards as soon as I get this figured out.

I agree!

It is ridiculous that it is so confusing. Even the people who represent Barclays on the phone can't answer the questions. My new card from another company is on its way. Will cancel both my Princess cards as soon as I get this figured out.

I'll soon cancel my Princess card & explain that's a result of their terrible implementation of their new rules.

Unfortunately with their computer system not being updated before the implementation, their agents have the same confusing & contradictory information requiring to manually get rewards issued by bypassing their screwed up website. :(

Hopefully you'll get your reward quickly but have an account manager (supervisor) escalate issuing your reward which thankfully only took a few days for my chargecard credit to appear on my statement.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I do not care about statement credit. I only got the card to get on board credits for when we cruise, sort of a little reward to maybe use in the spa. I use the card for small purchases for a few things I buy for me and grandkids.

My husband and I have a VISA Scorerewards that we use for everything to get travel points. We redeem them for airline tickets which works well for us. Saving up our current points to use in August for flight to London.

So, if I understand these comments, the 180 days does not apply to OBC redemption? My points will be good regardless? More hoops to jump through if you want a statement credit?

I plan to use all my current points and whatever else I earn for my August Princess cruise to Ireland/Scotland.

Thanks for any advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Our battle with Barclay stared soon after we returned from our cruise in November. For 8 weeks we have been trying to redeem our points for statement credits. After many emails and several phone calls, today we finally received a $600 statement credit from our 40,000 points.

This was one of the more ridiculous corporate screw ups I've ever had to deal with,ever. Barclay continues to promote the Statement Credit benefit on their website when they are unable to process this feature and have been unable since day one. That bit of fraud is the final straw. I will miss my pretty Princes Visa.

A little over two weeks ago, I called the Barclay Princess Card Redemption Center at 877-847-8905 and had them place Onboard Credit on a number of cruises for which final payment had been made. The representative had the option to mail them to our home or place them in the booking to be received when onboard the ship. We selected to receive the OBC on the ship.

This morning I attempted to call the Redemption Center and a recorded message says that this number is no longer working and to call the number on the back of the credit card or go online to redeem points. So, I went online and filled out everything including Booking Number and dates; however it only gives you an option to receive the award by mail. This won't work since we will already be gone from home and on a ship. I called the number on the back of the card and spoke to 6 representatives in the Philippines and the USA and they all had the same issue I was getting. After 6 calls I finally got a manager who is located, believe it or not, in Las Vegas. She tried to have the OBC sent to the ship, but got the same issue with the system wanting to mail it to our home.

So, as of this morning, if you want the OBC sent to the ship you are cruising on, there does not appear to be a way in Barclay's updated system software for this to happen any longer. They told me that they will investigate, but investigations take 10 business days. Of course I advised the manager that they didn't have any delay in posting my purchases and I would hope that they could figure something out quickly.

Curt :mad::mad::mad:

I noticed the same thing when I requested an online redemption for OBC. The system said the card would be mailed, but I could not request it until the sailing date, so I assumed I can get it resolved when onboard. Do you think that will happen? Thanks.

Last week I used Barclays on-line system to request OBC applied directly to my account for an upcoming cruise. About 48 hours later, without every talking to anyone, the OBC appeared in my Princess Cruise Personalizer under the On Board Reservation section.

That said - my complaint is that the card detects fraud at least once a year! The last 2 times it shut down, due to suspected fraud, was on the first day of a cruise - thus preventing me from getting 2x credit of final payment of my on board account.

Last week I used Barclays on-line system to request OBC applied directly to my account for an upcoming cruise. About 48 hours later, without every talking to anyone, the OBC appeared in my Princess Cruise Personalizer under the On Board Reservation section.

That said - my complaint is that the card detects fraud at least once a year! The last 2 times it shut down, due to suspected fraud, was on the first day of a cruise - thus preventing me from getting 2x credit of final payment of my on board account.

Thanks for sharing that, I see it now. Was certainly well hidden, I would have thought it would have been under the payment tab, onboard credits. I am going to print a screen shot and bring it with me just in case....