Pre-purchase of Cafe Select Coffee Card

JoyMouse

• 1 month later...
I bought this for my daughter to use and would like feedback from anyone, who has used this card already. Can you use this in the MDR for an after dinner specialty coffee?

You're pretty much restricted to using it at Caffee Lattetudes (or equivalent). You can't use it in the MDR (unless you go out to Caffee Lattetudes yourself and bring it back). There are some inconsistencies in terms of what is considered a drink. It sounds like on some ships it's the number of espresso shots (i.e. a single drink with two espresso shots will count as two drinks on the card) whereas on other ships it's one drink regardless of number of espresso shots etc. is counted as one drink. Also it's non alcoholic coffee drinks.

On the Jewel in November, I could order any size beverage and it would use 1 punch. Any leftover punches cannot be used on a future cruise. The card is only good for the cruise purchased. And it can be purchased on board at the Cafe Lattetudes (or similar).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're pretty much restricted to using it at Caffee Lattetudes (or equivalent). You can't use it in the MDR (unless you go out to Caffee Lattetudes yourself and bring it back)..

Going on the Harmony. Cruise planner stated that Cafe Select Coffee card can be used anywhere on the ship except at licensed Starbucks cafes. Also, this card can be shared and used in the dining areas. [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Missymo

Every ship seems to be treating it differently.

Adventure in December charged per shot of espresso. Could not make the manager see the light. He would not refund. Instead he gave us a second card with the understanding that we now know how it works. Ugh.

And then all the baristas started charging just one punch for the same drink that took two before (iced latte which is only in the tall size and therefore has to have two espresso shots!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought this for my daughter to use and would like feedback from anyone, who has used this card already. Can you use this in the MDR for an after dinner specialty coffee?

I believe the card is only good at Latte-tudes

Going on the Harmony. Cruise planner stated that Cafe Select Coffee card can be used anywhere on the ship except at licensed Starbucks cafes. Also, this card can be shared and used in the dining areas. [emoji4][emoji4]

Can't be shared. Aboard Jewel OTS it was only usable in Latte-tudes

Anyone on Liberty have experience with this card? Like where it was able to be used? Thanks!

Since there's no pre-cruise discount on the card, you can wait to purchase until you board, so you can find out exactly what is included on your sailing.

On the Jewel in November, I could order any size beverage and it would use 1 punch. Any leftover punches cannot be used on a future cruise. The card is only good for the cruise purchased. And it can be purchased on board at the Cafe Lattetudes (or similar).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Purchased the card last weekend on MJ, we were told it could be used on future cruises. Laura is onboard now and has not told me any different.

(iced latte which is only in the tall size and therefore has to have two espresso shots!).

Posting while distracted leads to errors.

NOT in the Tall size. Grande and venti only. Those would be horrid with just one shot.

But the card makes zero sense financially when they charge per shot. If someone else encounters this stupid situation, and grande iced drinks (do the math once onboard if you like other drinks that normally are made with more than one espresso shot) are what they get, insist on getting it refunded and just paying out of pocket. Because you're only getting 7.5 drinks for that $31. And you could get 8 iced lattes (at the 3.75 being charged on Adventure in December) for $30.

And if you're a venti drinker it's a horrid value bc on Adventure they were going to mark if three per drink!

Can't be shared. Aboard Jewel OTS it was only usable in Latte-tudes

Can totally be shared. How would they know otherwise? Then again this was on Adventure. :)

Different mdrs are allowing or not allowing it from what I've read.

I purchased one for my recent sailing on the Navigator (9-day cruise) and you can use it at the Starbucks counter and if the Windjammer espresso machine is working there. I ordered cappuccinos every night after dinner in the MDR and there was no charge, I have 7 left over that I will use on another cruise. Now that I know I can get cappuccinos complimentary after dinner each night, not sure I will buy another coffee card.

I purchased one for my recent sailing on the Navigator (9-day cruise) and you can use it at the Starbucks counter and if the Windjammer espresso machine is working there. I ordered cappuccinos every night after dinner in the MDR and there was no charge, I have 7 left over that I will use on another cruise. Now that I know I can get cappuccinos complimentary after dinner each night, not sure I will buy another coffee card.

That's great news about NOS! We're on the 9 day 4/14 cruise in a few months and I just pre-purchased my coffee card. Looking forward to it.

I purchased one for my recent sailing on the Navigator (9-day cruise) and you can use it at the Starbucks counter

You can use it on Navigator on the non-branded, and right now uses Starbucks beans, espresso kiosk. There's no "Starbucks" on Navigator. We should be very careful in how we describe things, because if a casual reader skims and thinks "it can be used at Starbucks!" then goes on Oasis where there IS a "Starbucks", they will be very disappointed because you can't use them at the actual Starbucks stores on a few of the ships.

I just purchased this on Sunday (1/15/17) on Liberty and have been able to use it everywhere I tried (cafe & MDR). We have also been able to share it. I got three frappes the other day in the cafe. I think the card is a great deal, but the coffee leaves a bit to be desired. I felt that the espresso was super strong and not proportionate with the amount of milk when ordering a regular latte. After tweaking my order and having them use less espresso, it was okay. I typically get 3 or 4 shots in my lattes at home so I'm not sure why I thought it was so strong. It's not Starbucks but it's better than the regular coffee offered on the ship, in my opinion.

At $2 a drink, and sharable, this seems like a great deal. It would be a good deal off the cruise ship for that matter. If for $31 + gratuity the wife and I could each have a couple of lattes every day there is pretty much no way I'd not buy such a card if it is offered on the Oasis in June!

• 1 month later...
I just purchased this on Sunday (1/15/17) on Liberty and have been able to use it everywhere I tried (cafe & MDR). We have also been able to share it. I got three frappes the other day in the cafe. I think the card is a great deal, but the coffee leaves a bit to be desired. I felt that the espresso was super strong and not proportionate with the amount of milk when ordering a regular latte. After tweaking my order and having them use less espresso, it was okay. I typically get 3 or 4 shots in my lattes at home so I'm not sure why I thought it was so strong. It's not Starbucks but it's better than the regular coffee offered on the ship, in my opinion.

Its Starbucks. I've gotten a 7 shot Venti drink there and felt it was barely adequate strength wise. I also felt fine (not bouncing off the wall like i should with that much caffeine). Which prompted me to do some research. I found that a shot of espresso at Starbucks at 89 mg of caffeine. A 16 oz coffee from starbucks has 320!!!. So my 7 shot drink is equivalent to the normal 32oz I drink (of my own brew, but starbucks beans, which should be equivalent) on every day. I feel like I crash a little harder with the venti drink possibly because its more concentrated (1 drink instead of 2). I find that if i drink a "normal" latte from Starbucks, it feels like i'm drinking warm milk with very little coffee in it.