Price Drop During a Sale?

sjmbruce

Earlier this year, I booked a short cruise for April of 2017. Final payment is not due until February.

Princess is currently running a sale and fares are cheaper than what I booked under. What are my options? Do I call Princess and ask for the cheaper price? How does this all work?

Earlier this year, I booked a short cruise for April of 2017. Final payment is not due until February.

Princess is currently running a sale and fares are cheaper than what I booked under. What are my options? Do I call Princess and ask for the cheaper price? How does this all work?

If you booked through princess, you call them. Otherwise call your TA (although for that option there may be a fee). Be aware you will lose any promos you booked with.

We did just what you are thinking, but through our TA. We had to forfeit the 3-FOR-FREE promo perks, but got the ANNIVERSARY SALE promo perks in their place. We lost the paid gratuities, but gained $200 more OBC and dinner for two in a specialty restaurant, a $58 value. The difference in cost was about $5 less, so no big deal there.

But we did save several hundred dollars on the lower fare. So, in the end, it was very worth while. In fact, we saved so much with the two price drops that we upgraded to a mini suite for almost the same original price we booked for. That upgrade earned us another $95 OBC through our TA, making the end results better than we started with when we first booked four months ago!!!

PS: This is the second time we have taken advantage of a price drop, both times at the beginning of a new promotion. We originally booked with the SIP AND SAIL promo, but had to give that up for 3-FOR-FREE to get the lower fare, and now again with the ANNIVERSARY SALE promo. Seems as if that is how Princess works these things. Other cruise lines we have been on didn't require changing to the new promo to get a price drop.

Edited by sloopsailor

Nice part about Princess is that they allow us to take advantage of a new sale most of the time. Always compare both the new price and what perks you may lose or gain in the new sale before doing it. We book through Princess and they are always good about reminding us about the perks we are about to lose before changing the booking.

Really happy with our TA. With the new promo sale we saved over $1000US per person plus the Specialty dinner. Lost the the pre paid gratuities but miles in front. Really happy with the new promo and now have more to spend on the ship. Cant wait till May next year when we do the Med for 21 days on the Royal.:)

Edited by harfield

You are one the few lucky ones.

A few years ago someone on a roll call thread said there was a price drop on our cruise. I immediately went to the Princess site and checked it out and then called our TA. We saved a bit over $600 with just a web site check and a phone call.

Obviously this sort of thing doesn't always work out for the better but, in that case, it was fantastic. :)

As for a TA that charges for changes, etc. : Dump them. Dump them now.