Review of 10-day cruise on the Silversea Discoverer from Otaru to Kobe in September,

frickwg

This was our fourth Silversea cruise and second Silversea Expedition cruise. Our other Silversea Expedition cruise was on the Silversea Explorer in May 2016.

I have to say, bluntly, that my wife and I were dissatisfied with this cruise.

No cruise is perfect but this one was unsatisfactory. Why?

• The ship was in poor material condition. I am aware the ship has undergone a scheduled for dry-dock after we left, but that work was overdue. There were many areas of rust on the outer decks of the ship, particularly in the overhead on deck six aft, above the pool area. Far more important was the air-conditioning. After a few days it stopped working entirely on more than one occasion for the cabins in our area of the ship (deck 4) and then came and went for the remainder of the cruise. It was never comfortable. Every night, somewhere between 2 and 3 AM, it seemed to go out completely. I of course brought this to the attention of the front desk and I got feedback, that things were being fixed, but through the end of the cruise it was never satisfied it was always too warm. Meanwhile in the public rooms were freezing.

• We were also very dissatisfied with the shore excursion arrangements. The customary Silversea attention to detail and consideration of the place being visited was missing. The buses were too small and too few. On paper this was not a problem, but a bus designed for 40 Japanese is not big enough for 40 North Americans, Europeans, and Australians on a 12 hour excursion. Also, one bus was reserved for a group, further crowding the other two. Having only three buses meant there were only three guides. I'm sure you can understand that 40 people trying to follow a guide around a castle or gardens or an interesting street area does not work. Four buses and four guides would still have been inadequate. Five were needed.

Secondarily, the shore excursions were poorly organized and didn't take into account the kinds of travelers that take Silversea Expedition cruises. Perhaps they were perfect for people whom have never been to Japan or Asia or people who want to shop, shop, shop. The pace was too slow and the schedule padded with lots of extra time. I observed that the buses were almost always ready to go 15 to 30 minutes before the announced departure time. On several occasions the announced the departure time was moved up by 30 to 45 min. and still everybody was ready to go before the changed time.

In contrast, I would call the crew on the Silversea Discover on this cruise the best, most personal, with the most attentive and of any of our cruises on Silversea, Seabourn, or Regent. Our butler and the waiter at the pool bar were superb. Of course they knew us by name, knew our preferences and choices and simply gave excellent service. The rest of the crew and expedition staff were also exceptionally attentive.

It is too bad the ship is in such poor shapes and the shore excursion department did not do its job.

We will sail of Silversea again, but not on the Discoverer.

Thank you for your report. Excursions on Silversea Expedition cruises should offer personal, in-depth learning experiences not a jostle with 39 others to hear an indifferent guide, followed by shopping, shopping, shopping. Add to that cramped bus seating and one has the pro-forma for the largest and cheapest cruise lines.

It seems Silversea are outsourcing excursions to local providers of one-size-fits-all excursions without sufficient investigation by management to ensure the product is appropriate to Silversea expedition cruising.

This was our fourth Silversea cruise and second Silversea Expedition cruise. Our other Silversea Expedition cruise was on the Silversea Explorer in May 2016.

I have to say, bluntly, that my wife and I were dissatisfied with this cruise.

...The ship was in poor material condition.

Thank you for sharing details of your disappointment frickwg. We were looking at a similar itinerary for next year and decided to move in a different direction due to our concern about the quality of the Silver Discoverer. After reading your review, I'm glad we didn't book that particular voyage.

It seems Silversea are outsourcing excursions to local providers of one-size-fits-all excursions without sufficient investigation by management to ensure the product is appropriate to Silversea expedition cruising.

That would be my opinion. Put your TA on the case and get a credit towards your next booking. Pathetic!