Regretting my Choice

scarlet-amelia

OP is booked in a mini suite. I am guessing she booked the MX category because any of the "X" categories (IX, OX, BX, MX) are exempt from the Free at Sea promotions. No perks for these categories only.

EDIT-OP responded and confirmed my guess while I was typing

Cabin 8710 is BX, not a mini-suite.

Cabin 8710 is BX, not a mini-suite.

Interestingly enough, when we booked... I looked at all the room categories, and the pictures, dimensions and descriptions (for the Getaway, on NCL's website) And the suites looked practically identical to the balcony's. I'm used to RC where the mini suites have the sitting room, and the regular balconies don't...

We booked "guaranteed balcony". The NCL agent we booked with advised that it was a better value.

What does "freestyle" mean?

Better value?? I hope you saved a lot. You could have had free drinks the entire cruise and 3 specialty dinners for two.

Freestyle means you will have no assigned dining time or table. Go to any of the three main dining rooms whenever you want. Seating for the number of people in your party. No forced table sharing. It also means a more relaxed dress code, shorts allowed in all but two places I believe. There are a lot of specialty dining restaurants which will mostly be a la carte if you don't have a dining package. Two have flat cover charges. Reserve in advance, or just walk up and ask if there is availability. You should be able to make reservations now on your MyNCL account on the NCL website.

Freestyle also applies to the entertainment. There will be multiple shows going on at the same time. The shows rotate in some venues, and you decide what you want to do on any given night. Reservations in advance makes it a little easier to plan dinners around.

I sympathize. I plan and research carefully and am not impulsive (like you), but we all have the occasional lapse and pull the trigger on something prematurely.

Lots of good suggestions here: cancel and eat the cancellation fee, call and try to rebook to a better room either with perks or in the Haven, or just go with an open mind and try something new that might be out of your comfort zone.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you lots of luck and hope you find a great resolution!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems worth the money to me. Can you still get it?

LOL... I guess I"m showing my age! I really miss the days when a cruise was "all inclusive". I think $1000 for "free drinks and 3 meals" is outrageous. that's our grocery bill for 2 months!

... and people wonder how my husband and I are able to retire at 50

Have sailed NCL many times I am just a couple of years younger than you and LOVE NCL. You are going to have a great time. The only reason you may have some "party" feel is that it's March and many spring breakers go in March. I buy the spa pass ( do it online ahead of time, no mad dash) and it's very relaxing. Enjoy! And happy 50th!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by amydandrea

Have sailed NCL many times I am just a couple of years younger than you and LOVE NCL. You are going to have a great time. The only reason you may have some "party" feel is that it's March and many spring breakers go in March. I buy the spa pass ( do it online ahead of time, no mad dash) and it's very relaxing. Enjoy! And happy 50th!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you.. to you and to all who said I will have a great time. My friend, who has been on dozens of cruises really recommended them. I think I will be ok. And, I may just buy that spa pass. I mean, it is my 50th, right? :) I've never been to the spa on a ship before.... it would be a treat!

You mention snorkeling is important. Roatan has great snorkeling. Easier to get to than Belize. In Cozumel we found Punta Sur has a great beach with good snorkeling as well, though it's a bit out of the way. You have plenty of time to make plans between now and March. You're concerns about the ship have already been addressed so I will only say, you'll have a great time with a little bit of planning.

I did this exact cruise last May. I love the getaway! She's a gorgeous ship, definitely does have a promonade deck and there was loads of brilliant shows to watch! Lots of photos here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/ncls-norwegian-getaway/

Some of the ports we visited were a little naff. But I had the UBP so it didn't bother me at all! I've written a post called 8 things I wish I knew before cruising with NCL, it explains about the freestyle dining and entertainment. Hopefully it'll be of some use to you! http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/

I definitely don't think you should cancel, I had a really brilliant cruise. Very very surprised to hear that you didn't get any free at sea perks though! Every bit of NCL publicity offers this at the moment. Not sure if I'd called it a party ship... I am 22 though!

How do you figure $500 per person?

Guaranteed categories are cheaper because they can be something of a gamble. You could end up on the losing side with a cabin under a noisy venue or score a great deal by being given a killer upgrade. If you want to be able to pick your cabin yourself, there are added costs. Add in the gratuities for the promos and $500 each sounds about right.

$500 a person would be worth it for me since the promos are included but if specialty restaurants and drinks aren't a big deal to OP, I can understand why an extra $1k wouldn't seem worth it.

It was an extra $500 per person to get the "free drinks and dining"...

I just did a mock booking for the Getaway, last week of March. The Bx guarantee fare was $1199 pp and the BD non guarantee fare was $1199 also, but included two free promos. They added a total of $223.92 to the totals due to prepaying the gratuities on these packages. So, it is not $500 per person.

So, you saved $223 by going with the BX category. I'll bet the two of you will spend $400 to $500 easily buying your frozen drinks as you go for the week. Plus you'd have gotten the three dinners for two, easily worth $100 per meal for a couple. Seems like a bad choice to me.

I just did a mock booking for the Getaway, last week of March. The Bx guarantee fare was $1199 pp and the BD non guarantee fare was $1199 also, but included two free promos. They added a total of $223.92 to the totals due to prepaying the gratuities on these packages. So, it is not $500 per person.

So, you saved $223 by going with the BX category. I'll bet the two of you will spend $400 to $500 easily buying your frozen drinks as you go for the week. Plus you'd have gotten the three dinners for two, easily worth $100 per meal for a couple. Seems like a bad choice to me.

our fare was MUCH cheaper than that. We booked in September for the first week in March.

We booked "guaranteed balcony". The NCL agent we booked with advised that it was a better value.

What does "freestyle" mean?

I would check the difference in price from your guarantee reservation to booking a balcony with two perks each. The UBP was wonderful for not having to worry about what we were spending on board. We also loved specialty dining. We had three as a perk and purchased three more - it's a much more intimate experience than the MDRs which felt banquet like to us. Great food and exceptional service in lovely spaces - not sure what more we could have asked for.

We purchased Vibe passes and it made our cruise! Small enough that you got to meet your fellow Vibe-mates and the bartenders were the best on the boat. The Vibe was never crowded and quickly became our oasis - a true respite from the mayhem of the main pool deck. I agree, if you didn't have to pay extra for it, it too would be overcrowded. It was truly a getaway in itself. With the smaller specialty dining venues and many, many lounges and clubs, we never once felt the crowd.

The Waterfront is a beautiful place to walk or just relax and it too was never crowded. The ship's entertainment was Broadway quality - the Million Dollar Quartet was as good or better than the traveling production we'd paid to see in our hometown. The comedy club, Howl at the Moon and lounge performers were equally exceptional. We loved the Getaway in June and are booked on the Escape next week! I think you should be sick with anticipation of a wonderful vacation, but I'd get those perks!!

our fare was MUCH cheaper than that. We booked in September for the first week in March.

Yes, but the Choice Promo gratuities are not based on Cruise Fare, but is 18% of the Promo cost which you would pay if buying it and not getting it free. It still would have been $223.92 total, not $500, at the time you booked, added to your cheaper base cruise fare.

It was an extra $500 per person to get the "free drinks and dining"...

You're saying you would have to pay $1000 more??

Since you made your final payment this week, I'm assuming you booked the 3/12/17 sailing.

As of today, without taxes, an assigned Category BD Balcony on 3/12/17 is $1049pp ($2098 cruise fare).

A BX Guarantee is $899pp ($1798 cruise fare). That's only $300 or $150 per person difference. Not $1000.

The only way my math would be off is if you booked your BX Balcony Guarantee at $549 per person ($1098 cruise fare) which I doubt because the current cheapest interiors are $719 per person.

You should pay the $300 cruise fare difference for a BD and add the Beverage package for 2 at $199.08, and the 3 night dining Package for 2 at $24.84 and you'll be much happier.

Edited by AdGuyMG

You list your favorite lines as princess and royal. I'm betting the getaway was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than either of your favorite lines. To expect the same experience with a much less budget is not very realistic imho. Ive sailed on all 3 lines in question (multiple times). While overall they have more in common than different; there are differences. I enjoy all 3 lines tremendously but for different reasons. However; based on your description I agree with the posters who have recommended canceling the getaway. It simply doesn't seem like a good fit for your preferences. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk