Regretting my Choice

scarlet-amelia

LOL... I guess I"m showing my age! I really miss the days when a cruise was "all inclusive". I think $1000 for "free drinks and 3 meals" is outrageous. that's our grocery bill for 2 months!

... and people wonder how my husband and I are able to retire at 50

I agree with you. I do drink on cruises, but at the cost on NCL, for the UBP, unless you are a lush or just drink to drink so you feel like you got your money's worth, it is less expensive to buy as you go. Drinks are high, but you are not on the ship 24-7 and even if you drink 7 drinks a day for the couple of sea days and 3 on the shore days, it is still a lot cheaper to buy as you go.

LOL... I guess I"m showing my age! I really miss the days when a cruise was "all inclusive". I think $1000 for "free drinks and 3 meals" is outrageous. that's our grocery bill for 2 months!

... and people wonder how my husband and I are able to retire at 50

I don't mind showing my age. I've been cruising since 1989. I have never had a cruise where alcoholic drinks were included in the base fare. "All-inclusive" has never applied to cruising in my experience.

Now, $500 PP additional to select your cabin instead of booking a guarantee cabin does seem out of line to me. I think I'd make sure that's really accurate and look at a different ships/dates/cruise lines if that's really the case. Actually, I don't generally find NCL pricing with promo's included to be very different from comparable Princess or Carnival cruises without the free drinks or specialty restaurant meals. Other than Disney (which IS more expensive, those two are my only other experience.

I am NOT an impulsive person, and I tend to research the heck out of just about everything. I didn't do that for our upcoming cruise... and I am seriously starting to regret my choice.

We are booked on the Norwegian Getaway for my 50th birthday in March. (We've never sailed Norwegian). I had taken a cursory look at all the cruise lines, and this was the only 7 day cruise that hit the islands that we haven't been to yet. It goes to Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. All new destinations for us. Also, we love to snorkel, and these are top notch snorkling locals.

Well... now that I'm starting to read more about this cruise, the more I'm getting that sinking feeling that is telling me I booked the wrong cruise. Here is what I discovered that was a surprise to me.

Hoowheee! Where do I start? I haven't bothered to read down the board because I don't care what these people say, especially since at least half are speaking from ignernce (yes, that is the correct spelling when you're from the Bootheel of Missouri) and give incorrect information.

1. in order to get into the "good pool" (i.e. quiet and adult only) you have to get to the port and on the boat as early as possible.. rush to the guest services counter, and PAY $99 per person for the week, for the privilege of the nice pool.

That is somewhat true. These new ships are double the capacity of say the Pearl, but they don't have twice the number of hot tubs or pool space. I find it disgusting how many people pack around the pool shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip. I usually describe it as one of those watering holes in the African Serengeti where herds of different species of animals crowd around the watering hole drinking and expelling their bodily wastes.

2. We don't drink much, however, on cruises, we tend to drink a lot of frozen "umbrella" type drinks. the Ultimate Beverage Package costs more than our cruise. And I looked at the drink prices, and they are outrageous.. (20-30% more than on Princess, or Royal Caribbean).

Personally, I have two cruise rules: Rule #1. Don't drink on the ship. Rule #2. See Rule #1. Those that do drink on the ship usually find the UBP as a cost limiting device.

3. I didn't realize that we weren't really going to Belize.. but, instead their private island, for a day on the beach. (they didn't really state that when we booked). Because of that... there are no snorkeling excursions there. One of the best places in the world to snorkel and dive... and we are going to miss it.

The first thing you need to understand is Belize is a tender port to a small port owned by Royal Caribbean and you don't really want to go outside the gates. I have and it is not a pretty sight nor is it safe.

In the past if you took a snorkel excursion you would not tender into the port, the snorkeling company would pick you up from the ship and then take you to their private island to get your gear, then out to the reef to snorkel. I find it extremely hard to believe you can't book snorkeling excursions from Harvest Caye where it would be much easier. I'm looking forward to when I can finally go to Harvest Caye because if it weren't for the snorkeling and diving Belize would be a useless port.

4. I didn't realize that the shows aren't included. From what I understand, there are currently 2 shows that are free. Any other shows we want to see. (Illusionarium, or comedy shows, etc... ) is additional.

And those two shows are of Broadway quality, outstanding and not to be missed! Comedians are free and usually not very good.

5. You can have breakfast in your cabin.. but only if you get a cold breakfast. If you want a hot food... it'll cost you.

Get up, get off your backside and get out! A good place to have the breakfast buffet is Margaritaville. It deserted, quiet and peaceful place to have breakfast and it's free.

6. No promenade. One of our favorite things to do on a cruise is to walk the promenade, and enjoy, not only the exercise.. but the quietness. Instead, they put shops restaurants and bars along the short outside walkway. There goes the peace and quiet.

I seem to remember a promenade on Deck 6, if I'm not mistaken.

To me, it seems like this is more like the Carnival Cruise I took decades ago, when I swore that I would never cruise Carnival again.. it was a party ship. We aren't party people.

I'm just sick about this.

Can someone either reassure me that it won't be so bad, or

offer a suggestion to get out of it?

You're all worked up over nothing because you've gotten some bad information. Go and enjoy your cruise, the ship and Harvest Caye.

Edited by Lido_Deck

our fare was MUCH cheaper than that. We booked in September for the first week in March.

Didn't you say you're a person who plans & researches? Yet you waited 2 months & made final payment before you looked into your cruise?

I'm sure you'll have a great trip but I have no sympathy.........

The Waterfront does wrap around the outside of Deck 8 from the forward elevators all the way around the back of the ship. The restaurants are only open in the evening, and very few people seemed to take advantage of the outside seating (which is fenced off from the walking path anyway). For the most part, it is a very peaceful walk. You can also walk nearly the full length of the ship on Deck 7 (but not around the back), and of course decks 15 and 16 (but avoid these during the day).

Didn't you say you're a person who plans & researches? Yet you waited 2 months & made final payment before you looked into your cruise?

I'm sure you'll have a great trip but I have no sympathy.........

Yup. I waited 2 months. But, my husband is deployed, and I've had my hands full....

So, is this a "party ship" like Carnival? With Princess and RCL, I never felt like it was a party ship.

Not a "party ship". The mean age of the passengers on your cruise will be 45. And the ship is big,,, so there will be entertainment geared to all ages. Themed deck parties featuring music from the 80's. Many families. You can move from venue to venue until you find things that meet your tastes.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but your cabin 8710 is really far forward. If the seas get rough you will really feel the motion and your balcony will probably be wet. It is also a long walk to anywhere. We booked a similar cabin on deck 8 and will not do it again. We heard the crash of the waves hitting the hull during bad weather. It was very loud. We had a great time but we will stick with midship or aft from now on.

I am seeing a lot of posts about "you should have got the free at sea promo" blah blah blah.

Here's why we didn't get it.

Not doing guarantee would have been an extra $180 right up front. A $100 onboard credit (for the room) was included so I figured that into the cost. I figured out how much we'd save or spend extra on top of that.

If we wanted free tips, it would have been $180 to get them. Tips per person are $108 dollars and then splitting the $100 obc by 2, adds a total of "savings" $158. But since you're paying $180 extra up front, you are actually losing $22. Why bother? Yes, you get to pick your own room, but we didn't care where they put us. Also as someone on a budget, we're trying to save money where ever we can.

If we wanted the free dining package, again $180 to get that. They charge you $12.42 (no big deal) in gratuity for that. Then the $50 obc. So you're paying just over $140 more to get the dining package. I had no desire to spend $190 to eat at the specialty restaurants. The MDRs are good enough for me!

And now we get to the big one. Ultimate beverage package. Again, an extra $180.... but another $113 PER PERSON. Minus the $50 obc, you're looking at paying an extra $243 per person. Considering my drinks would be max $10, that's 24 drinks for an 8 day cruise. No way would I want to drink that much. That's insane.

So OP, not sure if your $500 pp calculation is right, but even if it's only $250, still, good job.

Cruise.jpg.a6bd83a370757cfe0298b287587286e7.jpg

There's a big flaw in that logic. a, you get two picks with a balcony room and b. You are failing to factor in the cost of not having a perk. If OP does the ubp and free grats, it comes to $827 pp which makes it an increased cost of $136 pp, a far cry from $500. And it sounds like the OP will drink more than the $10 you do, if they are concerned about the drink prices. I think most people who drink on a cruise would be willing to pay an extra $136 to a. Pick their room and b. Have unlimited free drinks on the cruise. OP needs to call whoever they booked with and price out switching to a booking w the perks. It sounds like they were given bad advice upfront.

And to OP, I'm sorry, but it sounds like this isn't your first cruise ever and I have a really hard time believing that you booked a cruise on impulse AND waited until right after final payment to do any research on it. NCL is upfront about costs and can be an excellent deal if you plan for it and don't just take the first sailing you look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

I am NOT an impulsive person, and I tend to research the heck out of just about everything. I didn't do that for our upcoming cruise... and I am seriously starting to regret my choice.

We are booked on the Norwegian Getaway for my 50th birthday in March. (We've never sailed Norwegian). I had taken a cursory look at all the cruise lines, and this was the only 7 day cruise that hit the islands that we haven't been to yet. It goes to Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. All new destinations for us. Also, we love to snorkel, and these are top notch snorkling locals.

Well... now that I'm starting to read more about this cruise, the more I'm getting that sinking feeling that is telling me I booked the wrong cruise. Here is what I discovered that was a surprise to me.

1. in order to get into the "good pool" (i.e. quiet and adult only) you have to get to the port and on the boat as early as possible.. rush to the guest services counter, and PAY $99 per person for the week, for the privilege of the nice pool.

2. We don't drink much, however, on cruises, we tend to drink a lot of frozen "umbrella" type drinks. the Ultimate Beverage Package costs more than our cruise. And I looked at the drink prices, and they are outrageous.. (20-30% more than on Princess, or Royal Caribbean).

3. I didn't realize that we weren't really going to Belize.. but, instead their private island, for a day on the beach. (they didn't really state that when we booked). Because of that... there are no snorkeling excursions there. One of the best places in the world to snorkel and dive... and we are going to miss it.

4. I didn't realize that the shows aren't included. From what I understand, there are currently 2 shows that are free. Any other shows we want to see. (Illusionarium, or comedy shows, etc... ) is additional.

5. You can have breakfast in your cabin.. but only if you get a cold breakfast. If you want a hot food... it'll cost you.

6. No promenade. One of our favorite things to do on a cruise is to walk the promenade, and enjoy, not only the exercise.. but the quietness. Instead, they put shops restaurants and bars along the short outside walkway. There goes the peace and quiet.

To me, it seems like this is more like the Carnival Cruise I took decades ago, when I swore that I would never cruise Carnival again.. it was a party ship. We aren't party people.

1) There is NO 'good pool'. The VIBE does not have a pool. It has two hot tubs. All of the pools are open to all guests and just fine.

2) If you do not drink enough to make the UBP worthwhile then do not buy it. If so then do buy it. Easy choice.

3) If you are going to HC, there is a free water shuttle to the mainland.

4) The ONLY show you pay for is the Illusionarium because it includes dinner.

5) The continental breakfast has no service charge but anything else has a $7.95 fee.

6) The Getaway has at least one deck where you can walk the entire perimeter of the ship outside.

Stop looking for reasons to not have a good time before you ever set foot on the ship.

Thanks for all the information. Many of you have put my mind at ease...

Regarding the "you booked in september on impulse, but didn't research it until now" questions, I wanted to say a few things. Not every person's lives go perfectly as planned. My husband was deployed at the last minute (2 days notice). We booked our cruise quick before he left because he won't be home until very beginning of March, and he wanted us to do something special for my birthday. He wanted that sewed up before he left. We didn't have time to do the research as we were scrambling to get things in order for deployment. (new wills... power of attorney documents, packing.. completing unfinished business).

Once he left, all hell broke loose here at home. My mom had emergency surgery (she lives in Wisconsin, and I live in Missouri, so that meant traveling to be with her). I took care of her while she was recovering.. my dog ended up having spinal surgery due to an incident whilst we were there. Since being home, I've had a backed up sewer.. a tree fall on the house.. refrigerator died.. Issue with the plumbing in our bathroom (had to replace the main pipes, from our pump through the faucets). I remodeled the kitchen and bath, doing most of the work myself. I could go on and on. But my point being, people prioritize. And, in my world, researching our cruise ended up taking a back seat for a while. Sh*t happens. right? :)

I also wanted to mention that given the fact that this is our 6th cruise, I figured a "cruise is a cruise", and didn't anticipate any problems. But, I was wrong.

That being said.. the answers here were great, and really have put my mind at ease. I believe I will try for a "Vibe" pass, just because it is a quiet sun deck... closer to our room and closer to the main pool than the H2O area. I'm glad to know that I was wrong about the shows. (that is our favorite evening thing to do).

I'm not going to worry about the UBP. We will just drink and pay as we go. And, I'm really fine with eating at the main dining room, and the buffet, but may treat ourselves to a specialty restaurant one night.

I'm happy with our cabin, although, as one of the posters stated above, I'm not sure how wild and noisy of a ride we will have up front. We've never sailed near the bow before. We usually select a room in the back of the boat. But we will adapt. Since we have such a big balcony, it's certainly worth a try.

I have talked with my husband, and I think we will splurge on the spa passes. We've never been to the spa on a cruise before, and I think we may like it.

Anyway.. thanks for your help. I do feel quite a bit better

I think most people who drink on a cruise would be willing to pay an extra $136 to a. Pick their room and b. Have unlimited free drinks on the cruise.

Sure $136 extra might be worth it to someone who wants to drink a lot on a cruise.

I was purely giving my own example. We're doing a gty inside and had a great price.

We hated it and the Epic. Way too big for OUR taste. Too many people too big of a ship. needing reservations for shows.

Look at the ships you have sailed in the past and find one similar. We love NCL, just not the mega liners.

If you get VIBE and/or Spa, you'll be more than fine. If not, the Waterfront has plenty of peace and quiet during the day.

You'll probably only have a bad time if you look for a bad time. Your cruise will be what you make of it. If you spend 7 days sulking because ".....wasn't like my previous cruise...", you'll be wasting your money.

Enjoy and relax....during the cruise and before it. thumbs_up_smiley.gif&key=fcd17b3a8e7325393acb0991df0e066a292508e24060dbaf98c3144b92a5e6e0

We hated it and the Epic. Way too big for OUR taste. Too many people too big of a ship. needing reservations for shows.

Look at the ships you have sailed in the past and find one similar. We love NCL, just not the mega liners.

Do yourselves a big favor and cancel your booking and rebook on Celebrity. Your cruise will a gracious, elegant and luxurious experience. Service is above par, food is outstanding, in my opinion.

On sea days, in the Caribbean, the pool will be packed and unfortunately they have their fair share of chair hogs.

On balance however you will never have the experiences I read about here every day about Norwegian and Carnival. Small example: on hot days they serve cold drinks and iced towels on the pier. In cold weather ports they offer hot chicken soup.

Edited by PoppyandNana

You think the pools on this ship are crowded? I'll show you crowded:

IMG_0022.jpg.cb715e2549b4d192a266ad765da92d17.jpg

Thanks for all the information. Many of you have put my mind at ease...

Regarding the "you booked in september on impulse, but didn't research it until now" questions, I wanted to say a few things. Not every person's lives go perfectly as planned. My husband was deployed at the last minute (2 days notice). We booked our cruise quick before he left because he won't be home until very beginning of March, and he wanted us to do something special for my birthday. He wanted that sewed up before he left. We didn't have time to do the research as we were scrambling to get things in order for deployment. (new wills... power of attorney documents, packing.. completing unfinished business).

Once he left, all hell broke loose here at home. My mom had emergency surgery (she lives in Wisconsin, and I live in Missouri, so that meant traveling to be with her). I took care of her while she was recovering.. my dog ended up having spinal surgery due to an incident whilst we were there. Since being home, I've had a backed up sewer.. a tree fall on the house.. refrigerator died.. Issue with the plumbing in our bathroom (had to replace the main pipes, from our pump through the faucets). I remodeled the kitchen and bath, doing most of the work myself. I could go on and on. But my point being, people prioritize. And, in my world, researching our cruise ended up taking a back seat for a while. Sh*t happens. right? :)

I also wanted to mention that given the fact that this is our 6th cruise, I figured a "cruise is a cruise", and didn't anticipate any problems. But, I was wrong.

That being said.. the answers here were great, and really have put my mind at ease. I believe I will try for a "Vibe" pass, just because it is a quiet sun deck... closer to our room and closer to the main pool than the H2O area. I'm glad to know that I was wrong about the shows. (that is our favorite evening thing to do).

I'm not going to worry about the UBP. We will just drink and pay as we go. And, I'm really fine with eating at the main dining room, and the buffet, but may treat ourselves to a specialty restaurant one night.

I'm happy with our cabin, although, as one of the posters stated above, I'm not sure how wild and noisy of a ride we will have up front. We've never sailed near the bow before. We usually select a room in the back of the boat. But we will adapt. Since we have such a big balcony, it's certainly worth a try.

I have talked with my husband, and I think we will splurge on the spa passes. We've never been to the spa on a cruise before, and I think we may like it.

Anyway.. thanks for your help. I do feel quite a bit better

You will be fine. There's nothing wrong with your cabin and the food in the Garden Cafe (visit the crepe station) and dining rooms are very good. Be sure to go to dinner in the Tropicana Room, especially if the cast from Burn the Floor is performing. The shows are great, so don't miss them and Margaritaville is a great place for breakfast. Enjoy your cruise.

Anything else you need? Do you know how you're getting to the port?

The Getaway is a wonderful ship, booking it isn't a mistake.

1. With current promotions book you can book the balcony and select the Ultimate Beverage package as your perk. You'll be charged taxes and service fee of about $100pp, but you're likely to drink more thank $100 on the cruise so a good choice. I'm not sure if you'll have more than 2 in the room, but if you will the Friends Sail Free may be a good second choice. I like that one and the Shore Excursions as I'm content to book with NCL for my excursions.

2. Spice H2O is a wonderful all adult sunning and cool off area. While not a full pull you can definitely get in the water in the grotto and grown up only hot tubs. I'm not convinced Vibe is a good value or worth the stress when this option is there. The 5 waterslides are another option for getting wet.

3. Belize, few have been there so few actually KNOW what the island is like. The reviews so far have been pretty positive. I'm be there in 2 weeks and am excited. We had a good stop in Belize this summer, but the island is really poor so amenities aren't as top shelf as this new island will offer. You will have the option to snorkel in the other destinations.

4. Shows are generally free. We paid for Illusionarium and it was a wonderful family treat. However, no other show required a payment and they were very enjoyable.

5. Other than complimentary room service breakfast there is a $7.95 service charge for room service. I've taken advantage of the comp options: juice, fruit, pastries, cereal, tea/coffee. It was a nice start to the day, but once up and moving easy to grab a full breakfast elsewhere on the ship (buffet, O'Sheehans or main dining room).

6. The Waterfront on the Getaway was one of my favorite spots on the ship. I fell asleep there several times for my afternoon nap, lovely. I also took in sailaway on the Waterfront and even chilled there after midnight, always awesome. Just me, mobile device and headphones to listen to a book or music, perfect vacation moments.

7. We have had wonderful meals on NCL and have never eaten in a Specialty restaurant. We really like the Tropicana room as we like the live entertainment that is part of the dinner experience there. I highly recommend dinner there at least one night. Many enjoy the Specialty options, just don't feel like you MUST have that as part of your vacation package, especially since you're new to NCL.

Many have suggested you book a suite. It doesn't sound like the suite price points will match your budget expectations. Come in at a comfortable price point, come to love NCL then find you way to the Suite life. My experiences have been in Insides as a solo cruiser or balcony with family. The cruise experience have all been low stress and very enjoyable, the NCL crew is dedicated to helping you have a great vacation experience.

If you are thinking about fetting spa passes you should call and see how much an upgrade to a spa balcony room would cost you. My husband, myself and our son(which we have 3rd sail free perk for him) are going on the same cruise as you only the first week of February. I called to see and it cost $300 to upgrade to a spa balcony from our regular balcony but 2 spa passes would have been around $400. So it was a better deal to upgrade and you may get to choose a perk or 2 and not all the perks cost money. It cant hurt to ask.