RCL mega ship impressions

Bob7

After many cruises on ships with under 4000 pax, we finally tried a mega ship, the Alllure, and just wanted to post a couple impressions for anyone wondering about them. First we were surprised that it was no more crowded than the smaller ships, and the buffet even seemed less crowded, with a bit of looking you could always find a table at peak times, and the food stations were easy to navigate. Entertainment shows were by reservation, so no seating crunch there, and 15 minutes before show time they opened it up to ppl w/o res’s, and there were often seats for them b/c of no-shows. BTW we thought the main shows were a class above the smaller ships, a water show with high diving and acrobatics, a Broadway calibre play, and a wild ice skating show. Another surprise was that there was no need to save deck loungers by the pools, there was a bazillion of them, and no prob getting one any time of day on a sea day, first time we’d ever seen that. There were even stacks of loungers that were never needed and not set out by the staff. And beside the regular loungers they had tons of the sit-up loungers, in the shape of a reclining /J/, with separate footstools, and we liked those, no kinky backs like after sprawling on the regular loungers. The last nice surprise was the tons of venues, little cafes and places to eat where the selection was very good, hardly needed the main buffet, and many little specialty places, ice cream, hot dogs, candy stores, cupcakes, burgers, pizza, deli, etc scattered around Central Park, the Boardwalk, and Royal Promenade. It really made the choices on the 3000-4000 pax ships seem limited.

The comedian had a good joke, he said he asked the customer service desk what the stupidest complaint of the week was, and they told him someone came up and complained that the hallways were too long, and with a straight face she replied “I’ll tell maintenance.”

We wondered what ppl thought of the mega ships on the other cruise lines.

I haven't been on one yet, but I'm surprised at the reference to a "Broadway calibre" play. (I'm guessing maybe you meant the musical, which I think is Mamma Mia on Allure?) I expected them to be entertaining, but never expected them to be Broadway quality. That's asking a lot.

If so, that's pretty impressive.

Thank you for your review. I know some people say they would never sail on the mega ships due to the number of passengers. Yet, when they do, they find that the ship is so spread out that they never feel crowded. We had been around too many naysayers so we decided to sail the Oasis and Allure to see for ourselves and we found those ships to be delightful. Glad you enjoyed your cruise and posted your mini review, op.

Thank you for your review. I know some people say they would never sail on the mega ships due to the number of passengers. Yet, when they do, they find that the ship is so spread out that they never feel crowded. We had been around too many naysayers so we decided to sail the Oasis and Allure to see for ourselves and we found those ships to be delightful. Glad you enjoyed your cruise and posted your mini review, op.

I was one of those people. With in 1 day I was converted. :)

After many cruises on ships with under 4000 pax, we finally tried a mega ship, the Alllure, and just wanted to post a couple impressions for anyone wondering about them. First we were surprised that it was no more crowded than the smaller ships, and the buffet even seemed less crowded, with a bit of looking you could always find a table at peak times, and the food stations were easy to navigate. Entertainment shows were by reservation, so no seating crunch there, and 15 minutes before show time they opened it up to ppl w/o res’s, and there were often seats for them b/c of no-shows. BTW we thought the main shows were a class above the smaller ships, a water show with high diving and acrobatics, a Broadway calibre play, and a wild ice skating show. Another surprise was that there was no need to save deck loungers by the pools, there was a bazillion of them, and no prob getting one any time of day on a sea day, first time we’d ever seen that. There were even stacks of loungers that were never needed and not set out by the staff. And beside the regular loungers they had tons of the sit-up loungers, in the shape of a reclining /J/, with separate footstools, and we liked those, no kinky backs like after sprawling on the regular loungers. The last nice surprise was the tons of venues, little cafes and places to eat where the selection was very good, hardly needed the main buffet, and many little specialty places, ice cream, hot dogs, candy stores, cupcakes, burgers, pizza, deli, etc scattered around Central Park, the Boardwalk, and Royal Promenade. It really made the choices on the 3000-4000 pax ships seem limited.

The comedian had a good joke, he said he asked the customer service desk what the stupidest complaint of the week was, and they told him someone came up and complained that the hallways were too long, and with a straight face she replied “I’ll tell maintenance.”

We wondered what ppl thought of the mega ships on the other cruise lines.

For us the bigger, the better. Gives us more to do. Sailed on Oasis 3 & Allure once. Will be sailing on Allure again in April '18. PS. Also enjoy the Quantum class, even though it's not in teh Oasis class.

I have been avoiding booking them do to the extra cost ( when we priced GS on Allure vs Liberty) it was about 1,000 more, but if we do sail in 2018 with RCCL I think we will try one.

Keep in mind suite perks are better on Allure than Liberty, not necessarily $1000 better, but not sure how many people you are booking for.