CPAP Machines

ginnstars

We are going on the Breeze next month and this will be the first time my husband will be bringing his CPAP machine. (He's new to it.) This is what I saw on Carnival's website:

"Carnival Cruise Line permits guest who use BIPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, and Nebulizers onboard.

You must bring your own equipment onboard for personal use. Please hand-carry these items and do not place them in your checked luggage. There is one electrical outlet in each stateroom located in the area of the desk/vanity. The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style). It is recommended that you bring your own extension cord to accommodate your equipment comfortably."

I'm glad to see that we can bring an extension cord (because Disney confiscated ours on the last cruise) but I'm wondering how long it will need to be???? We are in a Spa Balcony room on the Breeze and from what I can see the only outlet will be on the desk/vanty which will be on the other side of the room. So we are looking at having a cord extend the entire length of the room?!?!:eek:

As I'm all for it for his health (and so I can get some sleep from his snoring), how long does it need to be and has anyone else had issues or tips from their experience from bringing a CPAP onboard Carnival?

We are going on the Breeze next month and this will be the first time my husband will be bringing his CPAP machine. (He's new to it.) This is what I saw on Carnival's website:

"Carnival Cruise Line permits guest who use BIPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, and Nebulizers onboard.

You must bring your own equipment onboard for personal use. Please hand-carry these items and do not place them in your checked luggage. There is one electrical outlet in each stateroom located in the area of the desk/vanity. The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style). It is recommended that you bring your own extension cord to accommodate your equipment comfortably."

I'm glad to see that we can bring an extension cord (because Disney confiscated ours on the last cruise) but I'm wondering how long it will need to be???? We are in a Spa Balcony room on the Breeze and from what I can see the only outlet will be on the desk/vanty which will be on the other side of the room. So we are looking at having a cord extend the entire length of the room?!?!:eek:

As I'm all for it for his health (and so I can get some sleep from his snoring), how long does it need to be and has anyone else had issues or tips from their experience from bringing a CPAP onboard Carnival?

We always bring an extension cord, but it would not be long enough. If you contact Special Needs before cruising and request an extension cord, they have always provided one for us. BTW, I recommend taking a power strip (not surge suppressor) as well. There is only the one outlet. Just pack it in with the cpap.

Also, if he needs distilled water, it is available on the ship for $3. Just give Room Service a call once they start for the day.

Honestly, I would not bring my own extension cord. They will supply you with one that they know works on their electrical system and it will be plenty long enough for what you need.

They brought me one that was really heavy gauge and had like 6 plug ins on it. It was NOT a surge protector though. Those are not allowed.

All you have to do is ask your cabin attendant and they will get him what he needs.

Ryano is correct in that they will supply an extension cord, providing they have one available. On one cruise we were told the ship was all out of extension cords so now I always bring my own. I have a standard household cord (no surge protector) that has plenty long, about 15' and it works just fine. I keep it in the carry case for the machine as I have used it in hotels as well.

Also, it is often asked whether distilled water is available, it is for a small charge (like $4 a bottle) but tap water works just fine for a seven or eight night cruise.

The water from the tap is pretty close to distilled water. I always bring a power cord on a reel and has 4 outlets, and a cord cover that I tape down to the floor so it doesn't come up, and also so no one trips on it. I've taken it on three now with no issues with that setup.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Ryano is correct in that they will supply an extension cord, providing they have one available. On one cruise we were told the ship was all out of extension cords so now I always bring my own. I have a standard household cord (no surge protector) that has plenty long, about 15' and it works just fine. I keep it in the carry case for the machine as I have used it in hotels as well.

Also, it is often asked whether distilled water is available, it is for a small charge (like $4 a bottle) but tap water works just fine for a seven or eight night cruise.

You have a very valid point that I didnt really think of. I had not read on Carnivals website where you can bring your own and just figured if you listed you were bringing a CPAP with Special Needs dept, they would make sure they have extension cords and distilled water. It never occurred to me that they could run out of ext. cords.

Maybe I will find my own. I absolutely HAVE to have my CPAP machine and that would really stink to get on board and not have an ext. cord and find out they are out as well.

In my case I carry a three way plug and a 9' flat wire cord that rolls up nicely. It never leaves the case at home and that way I know it's always there.

I wished I had the sleep study done earlier in my life; my energy and alertness has not been this good in two decades.

Edited by BallFour4

my hubby has a 10' cord, and it has always been long enough. Also make sure it is packed with the cpap and carry it on !!! Hubby also uses the tap water in his machine with no problems. He did forget his once when he first started using it and they did not have any extra at guest services. We had to buy one at our first port. He also puts it in the bedside table every morning.

Edited by hockeyluver

I've used a CPAP on almost all of my almost 50 cruises. I keep a 12" extension cord in my CPAP bag and have never had a problem.

Order the distilled water from room service. A gallon is just under $4. Yes the ship's water is close to distilled when it's in the holding tank. It picks up a lot of "stuff" from the tank to your faucet. It isn't going to hurt you or your machine for a week but I personally prefer distilled water.

On the taping the cord down thing. I wish people would not do this. It leaves a sticky line on the carpet. A number of cruises ago my cabin steward thanked me for putting a bath towel over the cord and not taping it down. He said it can be a lot of work to get the adhesive out of the carpet. I just fold up the towel each morning, wind up the extension cord and put them in the bedside table. There is no cord there all day and it takes about fifteen seconds to plug in the CPAP and put the towel over the cord so no one trips.

One last thing: Have your husband on the side of the bed closest to the outlet. You don't want to run the cord under the bed.

Take care,

Mike

I also just take my extension cord, I think about 15 feet. If you get some strong magnetic hooks you can sometimes have the cord hang from the hooks on the wall as they are metal. It doesn't look pretty but you have nothing to trip over.